Settling the mental pot

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Eulogy
Jedi Knight

Settling the mental pot

Post by Eulogy »

Say that you've had a very busy day. A lot of things have happened, people have come and gone, and now you have a bazillion thoughts running through your head, very little of them doing you any good.

Is there any way to make your brain take a rest and stop wasting power on wandering every which way?
"A word of advice: next time you post, try not to inadvertently reveal why you've had no success with real women." Darth Wong to Bubble Boy
"I see you do not understand objectivity," said Tom Carder, a fundie fucknut to Darth Wong
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Re: Settling the mental pot

Post by Joun_Lord »

Really loud music to drown out the thoughts, preferably music with no lyrics or lyrics in a language you can't understand so as to not make you start thinking on the inane crap the music spews. Thats aboot the only thing that really seems to help me when I have a really restless mind. It is unfortunately a problem I have often, just really random bullcrap that starts floating through my head, chains of thought that go way, WAY off the original thing I was thinking about.

This unfortunately won't help you while you are trying to sleep (atleast it never has for me, some white noise like a fan might help there) or while at work when you can't really be jamming out to your iPood.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Meditation. Concentrate on the breathing. It gets more effective and easier over time
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
slebetman
Padawan Learner

Post by slebetman »

Note that meditation, prayer, reading religious texts etc. are just various techniques to quiet down. Different things work for different people. If one doesn't work, try something else.

For me, just drawing doodles tend to work. Or building a model airplane. Or playing with my kids' Lego.

Ten years ago, in my late teens I'd go out running to clear my mind.

My father used to do gardening.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

TV.

Whenever I recognize a mental imbalance of some sort or another in myself, I turn to the tried-and-true answer of TV. An episode of a show I'm currently watching, or one of my old favorites is like hitting a mental restart button that gets things back on track.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Writing. Or forging. Focussing my brain on a creative task drowns out all the other things.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

LaCroix wrote:Writing. Or forging. Focussing my brain on a creative task drowns out all the other things.
This can be the other way round as well. If I work late on some design problem and instantly afterwards go to bed my brain is often still working on the problem and wont let me sleep. I have to do something dull, like watching an episode of Voyager or doing a couple of Sonic Racing Cart laps.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

salm wrote:
LaCroix wrote:Writing. Or forging. Focussing my brain on a creative task drowns out all the other things.
This can be the other way round as well. If I work late on some design problem and instantly afterwards go to bed my brain is often still working on the problem and wont let me sleep. I have to do something dull, like watching an episode of Voyager or doing a couple of Sonic Racing Cart laps.
True. But for me, the brain never stops pondering something, no matter how dull things are - even stuff like raking leaves or mowing the laws still has me running my brain full speed on other things. By directing it at one task, I keep it from jumping topics all the time, which is the most relaxation I can achieve.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

Me2005
Padawan Learner

Post by Me2005 »

Minor sedatives - Tylenol PM and similar (I think Benadryl is the sleep-inducing ingredient?). Shouldn't be physically addictive (can by psychologically addictive though, as can anything), take one or two a half-hour before bed and you'll sleep 8-12 hours. Don't do it too many days in a row, usually one or two days will do the trick and get your brain to settle down for sleep.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Breathing. No, seriously. If you breath using your diaphragm and stomach, rather than the conventional way using your chest muscles, it triggers a reflexive thingy that I'm not clever enough to understand that can have hugely relaxing effects.
I also find that writing parts of my story can help, almost like you're 'pouring' all the excess thoughts onto the page/screen.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

I've mentioned this before, but if I listen to a boring podcast (or audiobook or whatever) I can usually get myself to sleep in a reasonable time frame, even if the brain is still working on something.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

I open up my port of the original Doom and play a few levels on god mode. No real thought required and it relaxes me no end.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Me2005 wrote:Minor sedatives - Tylenol PM and similar (I think Benadryl is the sleep-inducing ingredient?).
It's Diphenhydramine which tends to cause me to have fitful sleeping spells. For me, it knocks me out but my brain keeps going so I don't sleep well and wake up tired.

I found video games years ago, however this can cause issues with sleeping. Some long sessions will literally have me imagining HUDs in my sleep. It became a semi-issue when I started in on an MMO or two and I would see "cooldown" timers in my head (the circling reset an icon does until you can use it again).

My wife has recently rediscovered how nice it is to get home after dealing with teaching highschool kids, load up a console, and stab/shoot baddoods for an hour or two. As long as she doesn't hit it to hard, her stress level is noticeably lower and she sleeps better. I'd recommend avoiding competitive multiplayer as a night ender and anything with a high-skill ceiling or frustratingly difficult sections. It's better to end on an easy win after an hour or so.

For myself, going to bed worrying about how I'm going to beat X boss or do Y task the next day makes it easier to get to sleep rather than worrying about the loads of bullshit I have to deal with at work the next day because the former does not matter to me emotionally. Unless it's Titan EX because fuck that guy.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Chimaera wrote:I also find that writing parts of my story can help, almost like you're 'pouring' all the excess thoughts onto the page/screen.
This. Writing a novel has a way to wring you out mentally.

Eulogy
Jedi Knight

Post by Eulogy »

So if I'm reading all this right, the solution is monotony? :?
"A word of advice: next time you post, try not to inadvertently reveal why you've had no success with real women." Darth Wong to Bubble Boy
"I see you do not understand objectivity," said Tom Carder, a fundie fucknut to Darth Wong
DesertFly
has been designed to act as a flotation device

Post by DesertFly »

Eulogy wrote:So if I'm reading all this right, the solution is monotony? :?
I think it would be better to say that the solution is doing something un-stressful you enjoy. Whether that's a (relatively) simple video game, writing, running, or just concentrating on something else (tv, your inner self, or deep breathing), the key here is to do something that will take your mind off of what is occupying it at the moment. Obviously what works for you will vary; this thread has suggested a variety of starting points. Experiment with different things and you will probably find something that works for you.
Proud member of the no sigs club.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

I´d say the solution is doing the opposite of what is causing the stress.
If you are stressed because of a boring, monotonous day, do something that challenges your brain, some creative task for example. Writing, designing, cooking, planing a vacation, whatever floats your boat.
If you are stressed because your brain can´t stop thinking about solving a creative problem do something silly that distracts you from this problem but doesn´t challenge you either. Like Voyager or Sonic the Hedgehog.
If you´re exhausted because of an exciting, loud and fast day do something monotonous, like lying on the couch or going for a walk in the woods. Or perhaps go fishing or something.

Or just drink 7 beers. That works for all scenarios.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

I have a couple solutions.
1) I kill fictional things. I take a medieval english army and invade france, or conquer the world as the roman republic. If I am feeling particularly blood thirsty, I play skyrim and kill Every Thalmor I See.

2) I take a shower. Seriously. It helps.

3) Do something social. Even if it is just getting on skype.

4) I do a side project. I have a set of ridiculously complicated Babylong 5 calcs. I work on them, and try to figure out how the FUCK the EA--without artificial gravity--manages to have ships that accelerate at hundreds of Gs. And yes, they do accelerate at hundreds of Gs.

5) Documentaries about random things that have Absolutely Nothing To Do With My Dissertation. WWII is a good choice.

The point is to do something that takes one's mind off the things that are preoccupying it. Either to give it an easy thing (if what is preoccupying you is something difficult and you are mentally exhausted or spazing out), or by distracting it completely.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Eulogy wrote:Say that you've had a very busy day. A lot of things have happened, people have come and gone, and now you have a bazillion thoughts running through your head, very little of them doing you any good.

Is there any way to make your brain take a rest and stop wasting power on wandering every which way?
My usual solution to that problem is named within your original thread title.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Eulogy wrote:So if I'm reading all this right, the solution is monotony? :?
Well, yea. That or drugs. You're talking about slowing your brain down because it's essentially in overdrive. Monotony is a pretty good way to do that. Compare driving in rush-hour traffic vs a long drive on a mostly empty interstate. Low stress activities tend to be easy on your brain.

Were you expecting some kind of magic bullet?
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Raw Shark wrote:
Eulogy wrote:Say that you've had a very busy day. A lot of things have happened, people have come and gone, and now you have a bazillion thoughts running through your head, very little of them doing you any good.

Seconded, though I wouldn't call it my 'usual' solution personally :wink:
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Chimaera wrote:
Raw Shark wrote:

Seconded, though I wouldn't call it my 'usual' solution personally :wink:
Imagine it was legal... it's easy if you try...
No overcrowded prisons, or pepper spray in your eye...
Imagine all the people, buying legally, oh-ooh-hoo
You might say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
I hope someday the UK can join us, and the world can blaze as one...

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

I've found a good wank goes a long way.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
TOSDOC
Padawan Learner
Location: Rotating between Redshirt Hospital and the Stormtrooper School of Marksmanship.

Post by TOSDOC »

Physical exercise. I had a trainload of thoughts in my head this weekend, and simply raking up the damn leaves in my yard straightened everything out for me as I was working. Got two things done at once, and the physical tax / relief from my thoughts both really helped me get a good night's sleep, which also helped the thoughts get themselves in order.
"In the long run, however, there can be no excuse for any individual not knowing what it is possible for him to know. Why shouldn't he?" --Elliot Grosvenor, Voyage of the Space Beagle
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

I've found recently that reading a chapter or two from one of my favourite books helps immensely. Even if I've read it a dozen times or more, delving into familiar and loved writing settles the mind wonderfully.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.