255 terabit per second fiber developed

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

dragon
Sith Marauder

255 terabit per second fiber developed

Post by dragon »

just gets faster and faster
Researchers at Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) in the Netherlands and the University of Central Florida (CREOL), report in the journal Nature Photonics the successful transmission of a record high 255 Terabits/s over a new type of fiber allowing 21 times more bandwidth than currently available in communication networks. This new type of fiber could be an answer to mitigating the impending optical transmission capacity crunch caused by the increasing bandwidth demand.

Due to the popularity of Internet services and emerging network of capacity-hungry datacentres, demand for telecommunication bandwidth is expected to continue at an exponential rate. To transmit more information through current optical glass fibers, an option is to increase the power of the signals to overcome the losses inherent in the glass from which the fibre is manufactured. However, this produces unwanted photonic nonlinear effects, which limit the amount of information that can be recovered after transmission over the standard fiber.

The team at TU/e and CREOL, led by dr. Chigo Okonkwo, an assistant professor in the Electro-Optical Communications (ECO) research group at TU/e and dr. Rodrigo Amezcua Correa, a research assistant professor in Micro-structured fibers at CREOL, demonstrate the potential of a new class of fiber to increase transmission capacity and mitigate the impending 'capacity crunch' in their article that appeared yesterday in the online edition of the journal Nature Photonics.

The new fiber has seven different cores through which the light can travel, instead of one in current state-of-the-art fibers. This compares to going from a one-way road to a seven-lane highway. Also, they introduce two additional orthogonal dimensions for data transportation – as if three cars can drive on top of each other in the same lane. Combining those two methods, they achieve a gross transmission throughput of 255 Terabits/s over the fiber link. This is more than 20 times the current standard of 4-8 Terabits/s.

Dr. Chigo Okonkwo: "At less than 200 microns in diameter, this fibre does not take noticeably more space than conventional fibres already deployed. These remarkable results definitely give the possibility to achieve Petabits/s transmission, which is the focus of the European Commission in the coming 7 year Horizon 2020 research programme. The result also shows the key importance of the research carried out in Europe, and in particular at TU/e with other well-known teams around the world in high-capacity optical transmission systems."
link
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Re: 255 terabit per second fiber developed

Post by Guardsman Bass »

That's pretty cool, although I'm not sure what you'd use it for. The gigabyte-level networks here in the US have had trouble getting people to make use of the gigabyte speed connections.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Guardsman Bass wrote:That's pretty cool, although I'm not sure what you'd use it for. The gigabyte-level networks here in the US have had trouble getting people to make use of the gigabyte speed connections.
Give it time, and the demand will grow to meet capacity.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Guardsman Bass wrote:That's pretty cool, although I'm not sure what you'd use it for. The gigabyte-level networks here in the US have had trouble getting people to make use of the gigabyte speed connections.
This sort of thing won't be used by us mere mortals. We simply have no need for it. It's going to be something that you'll see used in infrastructure running between network hubs and the like. It's probably not even going to trickle down much to the average consumer, just service new consumers with the same amount of cable.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

What I was hoping the gigabyte-level stuff would be used for was extremely high-quality telepresence. Imagine having a screen wall at the end of a conference table, and telepresence so good and high-quality that people on screen at a similarly placed table in a different building would look like they were sitting at the same table as the people actually at the table present in the room you are in.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
phred
Jedi Knight

Post by phred »

Purple wrote:
This sort of thing won't be used by us mere mortals. We simply have no need for it. It's going to be something that you'll see used in infrastructure running between network hubs and the like. It's probably not even going to trickle down much to the average consumer, just service new consumers with the same amount of cable.
I can see some companies like Blizzard or Netflix that have constant, high volume traffic using it to upgrade their servers. (DDOS us now motherfuckers!!)

Beyond that it's more of a 'build it and they will come' type thing. 20 years ago people would have asked what anyone could possibly need a whole megabyte connection for, and now we consider that ludicrously slow.
"Siege warfare, French for spawn camp" WTYP podcast

It's so bad it wraps back around to awesome then back to bad again, then back to halfway between awesome and bad. Like if ed wood directed a godzilla movie - Duckie