Rapper deletes twitter account after making rape comments

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Rapper deletes twitter account after making rape comments

Post by Borgholio »

http://www.buzzfeed.com/rachelzarrell/c ... -conscious
CeeLo Green Tweets That It’s Only Rape If The Person Is Conscious, Then Deletes His Twitter Account
I would quote the rest, but it's mostly images and screenshots. Not sure if this deserves a necro of the 6-month old rape culture thread, but it definitely deserves comment. I don't think we can ever get rid of the rape culture in this country if we have assholes like this who glamorize the idea that an unconscious woman is a willing woman. I don't know how we can get kids and young adults to properly respect the idea of rape if they are willing to pay money to listen to shitbags like this.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
biostem
Jedi Master

Re: Rapper deletes twitter account after making rape comment

Post by biostem »

Frankly, we have people that make comments publicly or online about wanting to kill or maim/mutilate others. They are neither representative of the majority of people nor are they necessarily an indicator of a society's health.

A certain segment of the population have enough wrong with them that these types of comments are meant literally, while most people are going for the shock value or just have a really bad/dark sense of humor.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Christ, that CeeLo stuff. There's an argument for Affirmative Consent laws regarding sex and rape if I've ever seen one - "how could she be raped if she was unconscious while I was having sex with her?".
biostem wrote:Frankly, we have people that make comments publicly or online about wanting to kill or maim/mutilate others. They are neither representative of the majority of people nor are they necessarily an indicator of a society's health.
I think we do have a problem in the US regarding how we see rape. Stuff like having sex with a woman who is too far drunk to resist, or what CeeLo did with an unconscious woman - that tends to get treated far too often as "not rape" compared to the stereotypical but much less common "stranger in a dark alley" type of thing, even though in all three cases someone is being forced into sex without their consent.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

Guardsman Bass wrote:Christ, that CeeLo stuff. There's an argument for Affirmative Consent laws regarding sex and rape if I've ever seen one - "how could she be raped if she was unconscious while I was having sex with her?".
biostem wrote:Frankly, we have people that make comments publicly or online about wanting to kill or maim/mutilate others. They are neither representative of the majority of people nor are they necessarily an indicator of a society's health.
I think we do have a problem in the US regarding how we see rape. Stuff like having sex with a woman who is too far drunk to resist, or what CeeLo did with an unconscious woman - that tends to get treated far too often as "not rape" compared to the stereotypical but much less common "stranger in a dark alley" type of thing, even though in all three cases someone is being forced into sex without their consent.

Here I have to disagree with you - it most certainly *is* rape. There is no circumstance, legally or morally, where an inability to give consent is considered as giving consent, when it comes to sex. What we suffer from is a tendency to take a few high profile and egregious cases and generalize from there. Another problem is that a person who is so compromised is less capable of providing the kind of lucent details about the rape or concrete evidence to convince a prosecutor to go forward with the case or a jury to find the accused guilty of the charges. We work from the presupposition of innocence, and the defense will use any holes or gaps in the victim's story to further their goals.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

I don't think Guardsman Bass would disagree with you. He's saying that the perception of the perpetrator, and popular culture sometimes, is that it is not, even though in terms of consent, violation, etc., it most certainly is.
Phillip Hone
Padawan Learner

Post by Phillip Hone »

A certain segment of the population have enough wrong with them that these types of comments are meant literally, while most people are going for the shock value or just have a really bad/dark sense of humor.
Rappers saying stuff on twitter isn't an indicator of society's health ... but we definitely have a cultural problem of victim blaming/rape apology, and stuff like this is an example of it.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Terralthra wrote:I don't think Guardsman Bass would disagree with you. He's saying that the perception of the perpetrator, and popular culture sometimes, is that it is not, even though in terms of consent, violation, etc., it most certainly is.
This.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood