Machine Learning/Data Science Here!

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Machine Learning/Data Science Here!

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

I thought i'd start up a discussion thread :).
(Assuming anyone else on this little geek's forum is a fan or works with or a researcher in anything involving machine learning, data science, data mining, or touches on it :))

So, how about them Random forests huh? And did you see the size of that multilayer convolutional net? And can you believe the deep learning perturbation on that backprop!
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Grog
Padawan Learner

Re: Machine Learning/Data Science Here!

Post by Grog »

Well I'm a combinatorialist by training and lately I have been thinking a lot about learning causal networks. I guess that counts as machine learning.

Edit: I don't really know terribly much specifics outside the problems I'm considering.
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

In 11 days my semester begins, and one of the classes I am taking is on data mining/machine learning. The focus of the class is mostly on the applications of the methods to genomics research.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

I'm just about done on a smart options pricing (low-latency exchange traded) project and will be gearing up for a cross-asset deep risk analysis project next. It will be moderately large data (millions of live and billions of historic transactions), haven't got into the analysis yet so don't know what techniques I will be deploying. Probably not machine learning but definitely tweaking/upgrading quant models for more modelling power, e.g. at minimum basic stuff like implementing stratified monte carlo instead of naive monte carlo. Still working on a narrative extraction project in my spare time, but that is ultra-unfashionable-unhip-untrendy-unmentionable probablistic-symbolic not-big-data-at-all.
fnord
Jedi Knight

Post by fnord »

Starglider, I'm envious.

I'm more of a fan than anything, having mucked about with random forests and cascade-correlation neural nets.
A mad person thinks there's a gateway to hell in his basement. A mad genius builds one and turns it on. - CaptainChewbacca
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

Is there any reason to think of a random forest technique as anything other than just a special case of a bootstrap/Monte Carlo method? Just briefly skimming naively through a description of the method it just seems like an application of the bootstrap to decision tree data rather than a standalone method in its own right.
fnord
Jedi Knight

Post by fnord »

I wouldn't really know enough to be able to comment.

All my random-forest mucking around was trying to predict binary data given a bunch of input variables. I did muck around with weighting the votes of each tree in the forest trying to minimise RMS error of the weighted vote across the training set (false being zero, true being 1), and counting instances that were in-bag for a given forest as 0.5. It did seem to give a more accurate forest (lower false positive and false negative rates) than equally weighting the vote.
A mad person thinks there's a gateway to hell in his basement. A mad genius builds one and turns it on. - CaptainChewbacca