Quick Clay lets you have landslides in flat areas.

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Quick Clay lets you have landslides in flat areas.

Post by madd0ct0r »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q-qfNlEP4A#t=145[/youtube]

Something I'm studying at the moment. It's nothing like quicksand. Quicksadn is basically sand with lots of water in it. Quick clay is soil that looks and feels strong - it'll support a house. If it is suddenly exposed though (like through a teeny landslide) it basically turns into a liquid.

By the end of a video, half the valley's floor has washed itself out. nasty stuff.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Re: Quick Clay lets you have landslides in flat areas.

Post by Borgholio »

I wouldn't want to live there afterwards. Even with all the work they did, I'd still not trust the ground under my feet after what happened.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Well that's the first time in a long time a documentary stopped me dead and demanded I watch the entire thing.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

You can hardly see the damage now if you look through Google Maps. Mind you the map used in the video had the orientation all wrong. But judging by that video the landslide happened in the southeast part of the Botnen. The only thing noticeable is the road built after the blasting. There are houses built over the landslide area.

Still, this video only reinforces my decision to never live near a body of water.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

It's not the water that does it, it's the electrostatic imbalance in the clay.
Here's a similar case in Canada. One family died.

"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

madd0ct0r wrote:It's not the water that does it, it's the electrostatic imbalance in the clay.
Here's a similar case in Canada. One family died.

The road that the landslide goes right near a river. Don't know where along that road the landslide happened.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Nevermind. The house is about 2 miles away from the river. Google maps hasn't updated that area since 2009, so if you Google "2479 Rang Salvail N, Saint-Jude, Quebec, Quebec, Canada" and you'll see the house before the landslide. Creepy.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!