SpaceX Dragon V2

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

dragon
Sith Marauder

SpaceX Dragon V2

Post by dragon »

The refuel and launch again will be extremely usefull plus soft tail landing like the old sci fi rockets that were imagined.
The new SpaceX Dragon V2 seems to be an amazing machine, capable of transporting seven astronauts to orbit and then soft-land anywhere on Earth using thrusters and retractile legs—with the accuracy of an helicopter. Elon Musk claims that they will be able to refuel it and launch it again right away
link
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Re: SpaceX Dragon V2

Post by Broomstick »

I've heard some objections to calling it the "V2", however - apparently some people have bad memories associated with "V2" dating back to WWII.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Broomstick wrote:I've heard some objections to calling it the "V2", however - apparently some people have bad memories associated with "V2" dating back to WWII.
I always thought the V1 Buzz Bomb caused more mayhem than the V2...and that the V2 was actually a critically important step in the development of space flight.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

It was very important to developing rocketry in general - but there are still people alive today who remember the things landing on their house and their neighbor's house. I can understand why they don't like name due to bad memories.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

It's called the "SpaceX Dragon v2", and in the unveiling, "V2" isn't even on the capsule. Any product that goes through various "versions" will have a "v2", so I wouldn't read too deeply into it.

The capsule and booster section seem too small, though - is this going to launch from under the wing of a jet?
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

biostem wrote:The capsule and booster section seem too small, though - is this going to launch from under the wing of a jet?
No, it is to be launched atop a Falcon 9 v1.1. The 'booster' is a service module.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

TimothyC wrote:
biostem wrote:The capsule and booster section seem too small, though - is this going to launch from under the wing of a jet?
No, it is to be launched atop a Falcon 9 v1.1. The 'booster' is a service module.
Ah... so this is really just a component to a larger overall system. Thanks for the clarification.
paladin
Jedi Master

Post by paladin »

Any word if the Dragon capsule has a secondary system (parachutes) for re-entry in case one or more of the thrusters fail?
"Single-minded persistence in the face of futility is what humanity does best." Tim Ferguson
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

biostem wrote:It's called the "SpaceX Dragon v2", and in the unveiling, "V2" isn't even on the capsule. Any product that goes through various "versions" will have a "v2", so I wouldn't read too deeply into it.
Would it have confused matters if they called it "mark 2" instead?
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.