Freshwater/land coral?

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Freshwater/land coral?

Post by madd0ct0r »

Is there anything out there that is similar to coral (in that it builds up rock formations) but lives in freshwater, marshland or even on dry land?

I've been doing some looking, and know freshwater corals don't seem to exist.

Perhaps the closest 'landbuilder' would be peat bogs, but they only add a few mm each year. Ligin in trees takes a long time to break down, but it's still not the inorganic matrix I was hoping for.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Re: Freshwater/land coral?

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Can't think of anything, some little creatures do make shelters but that's about it. Since freshwater often has a high silt load, I suspect it wasn't really possible for something like coral reef lifecycles to evolve. The environment isn't stable enough to favor it long term compared to the downward slope of mass wasting.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

madd0ct0r wrote:Is there anything out there that is similar to coral (in that it builds up rock formations) but lives in freshwater
Diatoms? Maybe not quite what you wanted, but they do create diatomaceous rocks. Other source of rock-like formations could be fresh water molluscs, but unlike diatoms or corals it would take very long time.
marshland
That environment in itself isn't very different from mostly water or earth one, so you're likely to encounter same species.
dry land?
Termites?
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

awesome! diatoms might do it.

lesse, they're dependent on silica acid to build their shells, which in turn can be produced from a hydration reaction between quartz and water.
hmm. will have to look into this further. Thanks!
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Patrick Ogaard
Jedi Master

Post by Patrick Ogaard »

Have you looked into stuff like travertine and tufa? For that matter, how about bog iron, which formed concreted deposits (Eisenstein) once employed as a building material in parts of Germany?
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

very cool, but my focus is more on biological driven land formation.

Still, that bog iron is a lovely counterpoint to the 'forged from a metorite' cliche. :)
Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Post by Tasoth »

Bryozoans. They're fresh water colonial organisms that form gelatinous masses on submerged objects. They do have a skeleton made of calcium carbonate, but not to the degree of coral. But if you're world building, a nudge to the point where they do is possible.
I've committed the greatest sin, worse than anything done here today. I sold half my soul to the devil. -Ivan Isaac, the Half Souled Knight

Mecha Maniac
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

whoo, they look interesting too.

It links back to the starting SWGODS game, but also something I've a broader interest in.