How far back does the "Darwin = Hitler" meme go back?

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Re: How far back does the "Darwin = Hitler" meme go back?

Post by Zaune »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:I'd say it came about the very INSTANT Darwin presented his theories.
Basically ANYTHING that takes God out of the picture = Automatic EVIL to the church.
Not as much as you'd think, at least not where the C of E were concerned. I'm sure a lot of them didn't like it but they didn't censure him or put him on trial for heresy or anything.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
General Mung Beans
Jedi Knight
Location: Orange Prefecture, California Sector, America Quadrant, Terra

Post by General Mung Beans »

Zaune wrote:
Crossroads Inc. wrote:I'd say it came about the very INSTANT Darwin presented his theories.
Basically ANYTHING that takes God out of the picture = Automatic EVIL to the church.
Not as much as you'd think, at least not where the C of E were concerned. I'm sure a lot of them didn't like it but they didn't censure him or put him on trial for heresy or anything.
The Church of England was actually pretty quick to accept evolution. Even many theological conservatives of the period (ie BB Warfield) accepted evolution too and even those who didn't usually accepted an old earth.
El Moose Monstero: That would be the winning song at Eurovision. I still say the Moldovans were more fun. And that one about the Apricot Tree.
That said...it is growing on me.
Thanas: It is one of those songs that kinda get stuck in your head so if you hear it several times, you actually grow to like it.
General Zod: It's the musical version of Stockholm syndrome.
Spoonist
Jedi Council Member

Post by Spoonist »

One of the arguments why Darwin was rather Ok as far as church of england goes was because it exonnerates god from some bad stuff in nature.
It goes somewhat like this
1. god is good
2. species exist that reproduce or survive in very very nasty ways (especially to delicate victorian minds)
Q: so how could a good god create beings that can only reproduce or survive in nasty ways?
A1: god isn't always good (goes against doctrine)
A2: the devil perverted the pure creation of god (goes against doctrine)
A3: god didn't create all beings (goes against doctrine)
so along comes Darwin a christian of good standing and says that we have an A4 that doesn't go against doctrine
A4: life evolves over time
which if you are not theologically challenged solves the question above. The narrative then becomes that the good god created life and everything, then life evolves from that point.
Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vehrec »

Speaking of Darwin, I'm looking for a good biography, so are there any recomendations?
ImageCommander of the MFS Darwinian Selection Method (sexual)