planet X found

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Re: planet X found

Post by Irbis »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Whilst it is true that Jupiter is pretty much a too-small dwarf star, it and Sol have one major distinction; namely, Sol is actually fusing hydrogen and generating energy and Jupiter is not.
Actually, Jupiter and Saturn generate energy too, in K-H process. Border between gas planets, dwarfs and stars is really fluid, if astronomers could pick one defining trait they would have already done so.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

As interesting as the K-H mechanism is, your sorta ignored the earlier part of that sentence where I said "Sol is fusing hydrogen" whilst Jupiter et al. aren't.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:As interesting as the K-H mechanism is, your sorta ignored the earlier part of that sentence where I said "Sol is fusing hydrogen" whilst Jupiter et al. aren't.
Which would be meaningful, but in the end, it's useless criterion of differentiation of stars from gas giants, as one, not every star use the same process of stellar nucleosynthesis (Sun for example uses PP process, but smaller stars burn more deuterium and larger ones use CNO cycle). Two, from what I remember from astrophysics from my university times, Jupiter does fuse hydrogen, just does it on comparatively very slow rate compared to star. Still, the point remains the same, there is nothing solid allowing you to divide gas giants, dwarfs and stars into concrete units.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Well I could add that a star is generally a star when it's either a) the centre of a solar system or b) part of the common centre of mass of a solar system (for binary/multi-star systems).

Or we could go with "a star is a large body of hydrogen (any isotope) that is fusing it to helium to generate energy and has/or will make it onto the main sequence."

Plus I really don't see why you brought up different fusion processes since no matter what process they are using, it's still using hydrogen (the element not the isotope) into helium. Plus, the pp1 chain does fuse deuterium, it just has to make it from H-1 first).

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Well I could add that a star is generally a star when it's either a) the centre of a solar system or b) part of the common centre of mass of a solar system (for binary/multi-star systems).

Or we could go with "a star is a large body of hydrogen (any isotope) that is fusing it to helium to generate energy and has/or will make it onto the main sequence."
Ok, though what I suspect astronomer's problem with definition such as this is that the object can be multiple things due to its placement. Consider: by above definition, Jupiter would be a star if we removed it from solar system and placed it alone, having moons big enough to be considered planets in their own right.

The same is true for Pluto: if we consider it a planet, we run into Triton, Neptune's moon virtually identical to Pluto (except even larger) that is now thought to have had similar orbit until Neptune captured it. Hence, the need for a new category of objects that don't change status according to place they're in. Astronomers are just people, wishing to have simple neat grades is just human nature :wink:
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Stars can be rogue stars, wandering without solar systems. Generally a star is considered a star if it shines (or used to shine). So our sun is a star. Jupiter is not because it never shined. A white dwarf is a star because it still shines (or used to, if it's really old). A brown dwarf is a category all it's own which is less than a full-on star but more than a large planet like Jupiter.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Borgholio wrote:Jupiter is not because it never shined. A white dwarf is a star because it still shines (or used to, if it's really old).
Uh, except for the fact all planets shined at one time, even Earth. Look at furnace filled with molten steel, then extrapolate it to whole Earth's surface for about first 250 to 500 million years of its existence. We're living on a star? :P
A brown dwarf is a category all it's own which is less than a full-on star but more than a large planet like Jupiter.
Problem is, there is no border between gas giant and brown dwarf that wouldn't be completely arbitrary and would apply to one but not the other.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Uh, except for the fact all planets shined at one time, even Earth. Look at furnace filled with molten steel, then extrapolate it to whole Earth's surface for about first 250 to 500 million years of its existence. We're living on a star? :P
Let me rephrase, a star is an object that is generating most of it's energy through the process of nuclear fusion. Smartass. :-P
Problem is, there is no border between gas giant and brown dwarf that wouldn't be completely arbitrary and would apply to one but not the other.
Quite right. In fact, the arbitrary rule of thumb is 13 Jupiter masses. But the truth is there really is no clear-cut line between big gas giants and small brown dwarfs. The only actual dividing line between brown dwarf and a normal star is whether or not there is a sustained fusion reaction in the core or not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_dwar ... ss_planets
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Irbis wrote:
Eternal_Freedom wrote:Well I could add that a star is generally a star when it's either a) the centre of a solar system or b) part of the common centre of mass of a solar system (for binary/multi-star systems).

Ok, though what I suspect astronomer's problem with definition such as this is that the object can be multiple things due to its placement. Consider: by above definition, Jupiter would be a star if we removed it from solar system and placed it alone, having moons big enough to be considered planets in their own right.

The same is true for Pluto: if we consider it a planet, we run into Triton, Neptune's moon virtually identical to Pluto (except even larger) that is now thought to have had similar orbit until Neptune captured it. Hence, the need for a new category of objects that don't change status according to place they're in. Astronomers are just people, wishing to have simple neat grades is just human nature :wink:
As an astronomy graduate, this is pretty much accurate. Clearly definitions change as we get more information, the original definition of a "planet" was a wandering star, a bright spot that moved across the sky.

So, the Sun is a star, since it shines by means of nuclear fusion. Jupiter is a planet because it does not shine by sustained fusion, it orbits a star, is spherical due to it's own gravity and has cleared it's orbit. Pluto et al are "dwarf planets" because they haven't cleared their orbits.

And that's the way we think planets work today. Check back in a month's time, it will probably have changed by then.

Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Napoleon the Clown wrote:An analogy would be, as mentioned, taxonomy. There's subspecies, divisions within a species that show enough differences to have some distinction but not enough to say it isn't the same species. Let's not go into why species is a messy as hell classification as it is... The whole planet/dwarf planet thing is basically trying to avoid the problems biology faces when it's categorizing life forms.
What exactly is bad about the classification used by biology? It always seemed quite nice to me.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

It isn't bad so much as, say, species is fuzzy as hell. The closest we have to a definition right now, as I understand it, is if the critters can interbreed and produce viable offspring. Nevermind shit that doesn't have sexual reproduction, things like ring species mess with that to hell and back. Because of how biology is, it's damn hard to get a good definition for stuff.

So yeah, I'm basically saying that they're trying to avoid the weakness found in biology, where it's so damn hard to classify things. The dwarf planet category is astronomers' attempt at making things a little less haphazard and a little more precise, with less room for "maybe, maybe not." Biology is doing the best we can with categorizing things, astronomy is simply trying to keep things precise. Planet/dwarf planet is one of those cases that makes things a little easier. I guess it could be considered akin to how we define snakes vs lizards, too. There are legless lizards out there, so just saying any cold-blooded creature with scales that breathes air instead of water is a snake wouldn't work. (This is something of an oversimplification, I'm sure.)
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.