Earth sized Goldilock planet found

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

dragon
Sith Marauder

Earth sized Goldilock planet found

Post by dragon »

Only 1.1 times the sive of Earth and its a Goldilocks planet previous was 1.4 times no clue how far away though.
The search for a new Earth outside the solar system seems to be nearing its end. NASA's Ames Research Center astronomer Thomas Barclay has found a planet nearly the size of Earth in the habitable zone of a star in the Milky Way.

Barclay's announcement at the Search for Life Beyond the Solar System conference hasn't been officially published yet, so the details are scarce. We know that:

1. It's an M1 red dwarf star (maybe we should call it Krypton.)

2. It's a goldilocks planet, orbiting within the zone where liquid water (and life) can exist.

3. It's radius is only 1.1 times the size of Earth. Until now the minimum size for a new Earth candidate was 1.4 times—Kepler-62f, which orbits a star about 1,200 light years away from us.

4. At least five other planets are orbiting this red dwarf.

I can't wait for that new telescope starshade that will let us take actual photos of these new worlds.
link
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Re: Earth sized Goldilock planet found

Post by StarSword »

dragon wrote:Only 1.1 times the sive of Earth and its a Goldilocks planet previous was 1.4 times no clue how far away though.
Follow the citations. The second link in the article gives this article, which identifies the star as Kepler-62, 1200 LY from us.
Star Carrier by Ian Douglas: Analysis and Talkback

The Vortex Empire: I think the real question is obviously how a supervolcano eruption wiping out vast swathes of the country would affect the 2016 election.
Borgholio: The GOP would blame Obama and use the subsequent nuclear winter to debunk global warming.
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

It orbits a red dwarf which means it is tide locked in that orbit
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Kitsune wrote:It orbits a red dwarf which means it is tide locked in that orbit
Do you have a source for this? Not this specific case but in general, since I've heard this before but no one had any sources for it.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Even if it's tidal locked it could still very well be habitable. It's always possible that it's far enough away from the star that the side facing the sun is pleasantly warm.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

StarSword wrote:
dragon wrote:Only 1.1 times the sive of Earth and its a Goldilocks planet previous was 1.4 times no clue how far away though.
Follow the citations. The second link in the article gives this article, which identifies the star as Kepler-62, 1200 LY from us.
Err, no. Kepler 62f was the previous recordholder for smallest planet orbiting a star in its habitable zone.
So? A planet in the habitable zone of a red dwarf with thick enough atmosphere and well-placed oceans ought to maintain sufficient heat transport from hemisphere to hemisphere that everything doesn't end up freezing out on the dark side of the planet.
Eternal_Freedom wrote:Do you have a source for this? Not this specific case but in general, since I've heard this before but no one had any sources for it.
It's simple orbital mechanics. The radius of a red dwarf's habitable zone is usually such that a planet in this region will orbit its parent star in time periods on the order of a week or two. To put that into perspective, Titan orbits Saturn in a bit over two weeks, and it's tidally locked.

The time it takes for a body to become tidally locked to its parent can be approximated thusly:
6 * ((semi-major axis6 * planet's radius * 3x1010)/(mass of star * mass of planet2)), and the result is in tens of billions of years.

For the largest red dwarves (~0.6 solar mass,) the habitable zone is at 0.3 AU. For a red dwarf like Proxima Centauri (~0.12 solar mass,) the habitable zone is at roughly 0.03 AU.

So, for an Earth-sized planet orbiting a massive red dwarf (0.6 solar mass) with a habitable zone of 0.3 AU, the time to tidally lock is all of 4.1 billion years.

The average red dwarf, however, has about a third of a solar mass, and a habitable zone of about 0.15 AU. The time to tidally lock an Earth-sized planet around the typical red dwarf? 110 million years. Ergo, the average planet around the average habitable zone of the average red dwarf is highly likely to be tidally locked.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Ah thank you. Like I said, I've often seen that stated but with no actual explanation.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Very nicely put, by the way. That's one of the most concise and coherent explanations for that which I've heard.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:
Do you have a source for this? Not this specific case but in general, since I've heard this before but no one had any sources for it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habitabili ... rf_systems
At the close distances that red dwarf planets would have to maintain to their stars in order to maintain liquid water at their surfaces, tidal locking to the host star is likely, causing the planet to rotate around its axis once for every revolution around the star; as a result, one side of the planet would eternally face the star and another side would perpetually face away, creating great extremes of temperature. For many years, it was believed that life on such planets would be limited to a ring-like region known as the terminator, where the star would always appear on the horizon.

The article points out other problems as well
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

The bigger problem would be the one that Sky and Telescope pointed out about the planets of red dwarf stars. These stars apparently tend to be quite volatile for the first few billion years, which could leave planets close-in uninhabitable.

I still think Kepler-62f is a much better candidate. At 1.4 times the radius of Earth, its mass with an Earth-like density would be less than 3 Earth masses, and it's below a threshold for size that some models indicate as a dividing line between "rocky planet" and "rocky planet with thick, hot hydrogen-helium atmosphere". It only gets about 42% of the solar insolation that Earth gets, but it's a larger planet with (probably) a thicker atmosphere.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

GrandMasterTerwynn wrote:It's simple orbital mechanics. The radius of a red dwarf's habitable zone is usually such that a planet in this region will orbit its parent star in time periods on the order of a week or two. To put that into perspective, Titan orbits Saturn in a bit over two weeks, and it's tidally locked.
Out of curiosity, would it always be the case? For example, IIRC astronomers always thought Mercury would be tidally locked due to this, but its eccentricity makes the orbit locked 3:2 instead of 1:1. Or would distance be so small to render eccentricity meaningless in this case?
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Mercury is not close enough to our sun's gravity well to be fully tidally locked. A red dwarf is so much smaller and dimmer, that a planet in the habitable zone has to be proportionally closer to the dwarf than a planet is to our sun. Thus it's far more likely to be tidally locked.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!