Favorite response to a point made with logic?

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

StarSword
Jedi Knight

Favorite response to a point made with logic?

Post by StarSword »

I'm arguing about plot holes on another board and invoke Occam's razor as part of my point. Markhawkman goes, "Occam's razor is OP, plz nerf".

:mrgreen:

What funny moments can you guys think of?
Star Carrier by Ian Douglas: Analysis and Talkback

The Vortex Empire: I think the real question is obviously how a supervolcano eruption wiping out vast swathes of the country would affect the 2016 election.
Borgholio: The GOP would blame Obama and use the subsequent nuclear winter to debunk global warming.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Re: Favorite response to a point made with logic?

Post by mr friendly guy »

On another board an idiot said logic doesn't matter because science is superior and came up with all these statements about how science is illogical but superior. :D

Idiot didn't realise the scientific method relies on logical principles particularly induction and others. When I pointed out with links that the scientific method has been using logical principles for centuries, he just whined some more. I also pointed out some scientific theories are counter intuitive, but not illogical, in other words he doesn't actually know what logic means and can only repeat the words used by his betters.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

"You have to accept my opinion,too, because free speech..."
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

^ or the variation on the same mantra: "You cannot criticize my opinion, because free speech"
unsigned
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I apparently don't understand 'free speech'. I thought it merely guaranteed you got to state your opinion, no matter how abysmally stupid.
I must've missed the amendment saying you can't call them on it being abysmally stupid.
And maybe it's me not being a real world native speaker but I can't parse "Occam's razor is OP, plz nerf". OP means either Opening/Original Post, Original Poster or, in german, 'Operating Room'. Neither of which makes any sense in the context of that quote.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
fnord
Jedi Knight

Post by fnord »

Batman wrote: "Occam's razor is OP, plz nerf". OP means either Opening/Original Post, Original Poster or, in german, 'Operating Room'. Neither of which makes any sense in the context of that quote.
Actually, from context, I think it's over-powered - ie, too effective.
A mad person thinks there's a gateway to hell in his basement. A mad genius builds one and turns it on. - CaptainChewbacca
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

fnord wrote:
Batman wrote: "Occam's razor is OP, plz nerf". OP means either Opening/Original Post, Original Poster or, in german, 'Operating Room'. Neither of which makes any sense in the context of that quote.
This was on the forum for Star Trek Online, so yes.

The Vortex Empire: I think the real question is obviously how a supervolcano eruption wiping out vast swathes of the country would affect the 2016 election.
Borgholio: The GOP would blame Obama and use the subsequent nuclear winter to debunk global warming.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Is there a point to this thread beyond self-congratulatory masturbation?
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
krakonfour
Padawan Learner

Post by krakonfour »

I understood the OP has requiring us to quote responses of other people?
GREAT BALLS OF FIRE!
Like worldbuilding? Write D&D adventures or GTFO.

A setting: Iron Giants
Another setting: Supersonic swords and Gun-Kata
Attempts at Art
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

Batman wrote:I apparently don't understand 'free speech'.
Don't worry, it looks like you are far from being alone. :roll:

More seriously, I suspect people who misuse concepts like free speech do so because they really haven't bothered to find out what free speech is, they just know of situations when it has been used to defend someone's opinion, and have (wrongly) extrapolated what it is from there.

Cue Iñigo Montoya "I don't think it means what you think it means" meme.
unsigned
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

krakonfour wrote:I understood the OP has requiring us to quote responses of other people?
I don't see any requirement like that. Feel free to quote anything I missed.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

StarSword wrote:
fnord wrote:
This was on the forum for Star Trek Online, so yes.
So...the guy was basically asking StarSword to not be that good at debating? :wtf:
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

Batman wrote:So...the guy was basically asking StarSword to not be that good at debating? :wtf:
Nah, he was making a joke. Followed it up with an actual argument.