Did M82 just fry 5000 earths?

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Re: Did M82 just fry 5000 earths?

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Borgholio wrote:Yeah Kepler's supernova in the 1600's was 20k lightyears away and was as bright as Venus. Betelgeuse is only 600 lightyears away. Think about it. :)
I don't need to, I know how bright it's going to be :D
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

The Xeelee wrote:Wow more meaningless drivel. Are you capable of constructively contributing to anything?
Listen, son. There comes a time in every mans life when he realizes that the person he's talking to has self esteem issues beyond their control. Now I'm very sorry about your disability but you need to not express your inward pain outward. I know you're a bit surly and won't understand about 2/3 of what I'm saying because you wanna look like a big man. But see, to me, you're just blips on a screen. I'm not above a lot of things, but I'm trying to be a better person.
So I'll leave you with these words of wisdom: totes ma goats.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
The Xeelee
Padawan Learner

Post by The Xeelee »

You have made several posts in this thread but not one has contributed anything useful to the discussion.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Borgholio wrote:When Betelgeuse explodes, it'll be "recent" for us, even though technically it went about 500 years or so in the past.

Can't wait for that to happen actually...it's going to be an epic light show.
The awesome thing is that it could have already gone. Hopefully within our lifetimes we'll see it.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

The Xeelee wrote:You have made several posts in this thread but not one has contributed anything useful to the discussion.
Of course it did. You aren't arguing over stupid minutia anymore are you?
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Flagg wrote:
Borgholio wrote:When Betelgeuse explodes, it'll be "recent" for us, even though technically it went about 500 years or so in the past.

Can't wait for that to happen actually...it's going to be an epic light show.
The awesome thing is that it could have already gone. Hopefully within our lifetimes we'll see it.
As I said earlier, I really hope I get to see the star go boom...but I don't think it's likely.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Looks like you should be able to see the supernova in m82 with a pair of common binoculars. I just went outside to try to locate it. Google Sky Map found the galaxy good enough...but it's fucking overcast. It's supposed to reach it's maximum brightness in the next week or so...so hopefully I can see it. :)
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Sky Captain
Jedi Master

Post by Sky Captain »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:
Sky Captain wrote:A supernova cann't wipe out all life on planet unless tha planet happens to be so close that oceans boil off and crust melts. Anything less and bacteria living on ocean floor or inside crust wouldn't even notice any disturbance.
Not true. A supernova (hell, even a sufficiently large CME) can strip away the planet's protective radiation belts and leave it exposed to the solar wind and/or all the other nasty radiation flying around after said supernova. Global extinction would not be far behind. Melting crusts and boiling oceans is not the only way to sterilize a planet.
It would only affect surface life, bacteria underground and on ocean floor would be fine. Whole ecosystems living near hydrothermal vents would continue to live.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Sky Captain wrote:
Eternal_Freedom wrote:
Sky Captain wrote:A supernova cann't wipe out all life on planet unless tha planet happens to be so close that oceans boil off and crust melts. Anything less and bacteria living on ocean floor or inside crust wouldn't even notice any disturbance.
Not true. A supernova (hell, even a sufficiently large CME) can strip away the planet's protective radiation belts and leave it exposed to the solar wind and/or all the other nasty radiation flying around after said supernova. Global extinction would not be far behind. Melting crusts and boiling oceans is not the only way to sterilize a planet.
It would only affect surface life, bacteria underground and on ocean floor would be fine. Whole ecosystems living near hydrothermal vents would continue to live.
Possibly. I'm not sure what the long-term effects would be. But it would certainly rule out any intelligent tool-using civilisation emerging.

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Ok had a clear and (relatively) dark night here...so I went out to try to spy the supernova. Thing is really faint. Certainly can't view it with the naked eye. It's about the same brightness as many of the fainter background stars...so I'm not even sure I was looking at the right object. :)

Space.com suggests a 6 -10 inch telescope so my 7x50mm binoculars are probably not enough. I'd need to upgrade to a pair of 70 or 80mm binoculars and a tripod. So I guess when they said really good pair of binoculars, they meant REALLY good...as in $500 or more.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Managed to catch it here in South Wales briefly. Used my housemate's 12 inch reflector I could just make it out with the eyes. Stuck a DSLR on there and it showed up quite well.

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Pic please. :)
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Edit:

Sorry, it's only uploaded on my old uni course's facebook group, and I don't have any other image hosting available. I can email it to you if you like though.

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Content currently unavailable.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Like I said, I forgot that the Astronomy group is a closed one.

Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

Flagg wrote:Well even with the likelihood of a trillion sentient beings being vaporized it's totally worth it so douchebags like us can nitpick over minutia. Totes ma goats.
If I can't be a pedantic shit in this forum, then where else can I be?

Anyway, let's have a moment of silence to honor the (theoretical) victims of M82 who might possibly have existed/been vaporized millions of years ago, maybe.

I know I'll never forget where I was when I first heard about the M82 supernova. In fact, I was right here, in this forum. That's the sort of thing you just don't forget. It's like 9/11 all over again.

M82: Never forget.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Edit:

Sorry, it's only uploaded on my old uni course's facebook group, and I don't have any other image hosting available. I can email it to you if you like though.
Thanks for the pic, its quite amazing! Can I repost it here?
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Please do!

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Let's see if this works...

It does! Thanks EF!
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

No worries. As the image says, credit is due to my housemate Antos, it was his scope after all, I just lifted and carried things and rolled a joint :D