Mysterious Rock on Mars looks like Jelly Donut

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Mysterious Rock on Mars looks like Jelly Donut

Post by Kitsune »

This one is pretty cool

Mysterious Mars rock looks like 'jelly doughnut,' defies explanation
Tariq Malik Space.com

4 hours ago
his before-and-after pair of images of the same patch of ground in front of NASA's Mars Rover Opportunity 13 days apart documents the arrival of a strange, bright rock at the scene. The rock, called "Pinnacle Island," is seen in the right image on Jan. 8, 2014. The image at left was taken on Dec. 26, 2013.
NASA/JPL-Caltech/Cornell Univ./Arizona State Univ.
This before-and-after pair of images of the same patch of ground in front of NASA's Mars Rover Opportunity 13 days apart documents the arrival of a strange, bright rock at the scene. The rock, called "Pinnacle Island," is seen in the right image on Jan. 8, 2014. The image at left was taken on Dec. 26, 2013.

A mystery rock on Mars that suddenly appeared in front of NASA's Opportunity rover may look like a tasty doughnut, but it is like nothing ever seen on the Martian surface before.

The strange Mars rock was spotted by Opportunity on Jan. 8 in a spot where, 13 days earlier, there was nothing. The rock, which scientists now call "Pinnacle Island," is white on the outside, red in the middle and appeared after Opportunity had just finished a short drive.

"It looks like a jelly doughnut," said Steve Squyres, the rover's lead scientist at Cornell University in Ithaca, N.Y., during a recent NASA event marking Opportunity's 10th year on Mars. "And it appeared, it just plain appeared, at that spot and we haven't driven over that spot." [Amazing Photos from NASA's Opportunity Mars Rover]

The odd rock is located in a spot on "Murray Ridge" along the wall of Endeavour Crater where Opportunity is spending the Martian winter. A closer look at the rock using Opportunity's robotic arm-mounted instruments revealed even more surprises.
Steve Squyres, lead scientist for NASA's Mars rover Opportunity, points at a strange rock found by the rover on Jan. 8, 2014, where earlier there had been nothing, during a Jan. 16 presentation. The rock has been named "Pinnacle Island."
NASA/JPL
Steve Squyres, lead scientist for NASA's Mars rover Opportunity, points at a strange rock found by the rover on Jan. 8, 2014, where earlier there had been nothing, during a Jan. 16 presentation. The rock has been named "Pinnacle Island."

"It's like nothing we ever seen before. It's very high in sulfur, very high in magnesium, it has twice as much manganese than anything we've seen on Mars," Squyres said with excitement in last week's Jan. 16 event. "I don't know what any of this means. We're completely confused, we're having a wonderful time."

Squyres said rover scientists have two working theories on how the Pinnacle Island rock mysteriously appeared near Opportunity. One suggests that the rock is a piece of debris from an impact crater somewhere near the rover that just happened to plop down in front of Opportunity, while the other theory is that the rock was kicked up by one of the rover's six wheels during its recent drive.

"That's the more likely scenario," Squyres said of the wheel-driven idea. "The crater ejecta one, I don't really believe. I think that the idea that somehow we mysteriously flicked it with the wheel is the best explanation."

Opportunity has been exploring Mars since Jan. 24, 2004, when it landed on the Red Planet a few weeks after its robotic twin Spirit. Both` rovers far outlasted their original 90-day mission, with Opportunity still driving today. Spirit's mission officially ended in 2011, several months after the rover stopped communicating with Earth.

Squyres said the weird Mars rock is an example of how the Red Planet keeps surprising scientists, even 10 years later.

"Mars keeps throwing new things at us," he said.

NASA has been celebrating the Mars rover mission's 10th anniversary in several events this month, including the Jan. 16 presentation that included Squyres, as well as a new Mars rover photo exhibit at the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum in Washington, D.C.

NASA will hold a press conference to mark Opportunity's 10th birthday on Mars on Thursday (Jan. 23) at 2 p.m. EST (1900 GMT). You can watch the Mars Opportunity webcast live on SPACE.com, courtesy of NASA.
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Re: Mysterious Rock on Mars looks like Jelly Donut

Post by Borgholio »

Most impressive about the rover. They were only designed to last 90 days, but even the now-dead rover lasted 28 times longer than expected. Whoever built those bots deserves a nice bonus.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

A curious find. I'm not up with all the Mars Rovers, I take this one still has a functional arm with spectroscopic instruments?

Although, I do really wonder how does that look anything like a doughnut.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

It looks vaguely like a jelly doughnut that's been run over by a one-ton Mars rover, and they found it in the rover's treads.

Also, Curiosity is still running and is indeed not even past its design life yet.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Curiosity is brand new so yeah it has a lot of life left. Imagine if it manages to outlive it's warranty by a factor of 7? It'll be there for 10 years...
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

I wanted to say I LOVE This article.
Not so much for the rock itself, but for what it represents...

The right wing and conspiracy theorists love to rail about how "The Science Elitist" or "The Big Science Conspiracy" are always going around covering up 'the truth'. That ANYTHING that goes against 'normal sincere' is hushed up! that Science is somehow this immutable tome of dogma that cannot have ANYTHING challenge it! That the REAL reason why they laugh at Moon hoaxers, at Climate change conspiracists, and all the rest, is simply because "the establishment" can't deal with anything that changes their preconceived notions!

And here... Here we have a mysterious rock, that shows up out of nowhere, has properties totally alien to anything so far discovered on Mars, it "Baffles" and confuses the Scientists... Did they try and hush it up? Did they try to keep this embarrassingly unknown rock from becoming public?
Nope...They LOVE it!!!

Science is about discovering the unknown and proving wrong what you thought was right.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Borgholio wrote:Most impressive about the rover. They were only designed to last 90 days, but even the now-dead rover lasted 28 times longer than expected. Whoever built those bots deserves a nice bonus.
Mars has a vicious track record of killing probes, so they were overengineered as far as possible within the weight constraints.
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

Starglider wrote:
Borgholio wrote:Most impressive about the rover. They were only designed to last 90 days, but even the now-dead rover lasted 28 times longer than expected. Whoever built those bots deserves a nice bonus.
Mars has a vicious track record of killing probes, so they were overengineered as far as possible within the weight constraints.
Mars is nice on probes compared to Venus. There is some ratios in the rocks we need to explore on Venus to help understand the formation of the Moon and Earth but hard to do that.
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

That's one thing that conspiracy theorists just don't get. NASA would never cover up evidence of alien life. They'd publicize the shit out of it. Proof of aliens would mean pretty much a blank check for astronomers.
slebetman
Padawan Learner

Post by slebetman »

Zixinus wrote: Although, I do really wonder how does that look anything like a doughnut.
Chinese whispers effect - the original statement from the press release didn't say anything about a rock that looks like a donut. It merely said that the rock is roughly the size of a donut (to give laymen a simple to visualize idea of scale - in a more technical paper they'd probably just say roughly 3 inches).
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

It's one of the rocks Martian teenagers are throwing at the rover.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Too obvious. Moon Man teenagers flew to Mars and threw rocks at the rover, obviously.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb