Worst Ecological Disasters?

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Worst Ecological Disasters?

Post by Kitsune »

What is you list of worst ecological disasters - both in your country and worldwide?

I think I would actually put the drying up of Aral Sea as worse than Chernobyl
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Re: Worst Ecological Disasters?

Post by Borgholio »

If we're talking in the entire history of our country / world, then I'd pick either Hurricane Katrina, Hurricane Irene, or Exxon Valdez as the worst in the history of the United States. As for the worst in the history of the world, it'd be hands down the Giant Impact, followed by Permian–Triassic extinction event and the K-T impact event.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Re: Worst Manmade Ecological Disasters?

Post by Kitsune »

Err, sorry I meant man made?
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Can a hurricane still count as man-made due to climate change?

And can climate change in general count as a single worldwide disaster?
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

In America, the over-development of the MidWest lead to "The DustBowl". Luckless farmers watched as their farms literally blew away in the wind after bad drought and a collapse in the price of wheat left fields with nothing to hold the soil down. An explosion of rabbits and the last great American Locust swarm was icing on the cake.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Yeah, the Dust Bowl would have been my first answer, followed by the Valdez. Honorable mentions go to Chernobyl, the oil spills in the Gulf of Mexico and the residual effects of the spraying of Agent Orange in Vietnam.

(protip: don't image search agent orange unless you're ready for some serious nightmare fuel)
JADAFETWA
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Kuja wrote:Yeah, the Dust Bowl would have been my first answer, followed by the Valdez. Honorable mentions go to Chernobyl, the oil spills in the Gulf of Mexico and the residual effects of the spraying of Agent Orange in Vietnam.

(protip: don't image search agent orange unless you're ready for some serious nightmare fuel)
Well now I have to ask, because I WON"T google image search...
Why Por?

Melted skin? Boils? Hideous Growths?
As far as I knew, "AO" just gave people cancer.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:
Kuja wrote:Yeah, the Dust Bowl would have been my first answer, followed by the Valdez. Honorable mentions go to Chernobyl, the oil spills in the Gulf of Mexico and the residual effects of the spraying of Agent Orange in Vietnam.

Why Por?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You poor, naïve man. Now you HAVE to do an image search for the birth defects that will forever haunt your nightmares. "Just gave people cancer."
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Jaepheth
Jedi Master

Post by Jaepheth »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:

Why Por?

Basically real life versions of this:

Children of the Ancients
I'm sorry, but the number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate the phone by 90 degrees and try again.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

no. much much worse. Think 40k chaos beasts as real human fetuses.

We'll have to wait and see if any issues crop up when we try and have children. My wife grew up in one of the last of the hotspots. There's still government advice against growing your own vegetables in that area.

---

Lessee, man made ecological disasters. Climate change could be up there :)
In terms of area - deforestation in amazon or SE asia, dust bowl, rabbits to Australia,
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Rabbits to Austrailia. Sheep, goats, and cows slowly grazing their way through Africa and widening the Sahara as they go.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:

Why Por?

Being born with the wrong number of eyes, things not being the right shape, certain things missing... The horrific part isn't what it does to those who were already born. Birth defects abound.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Probably climate change for the likely end result in a hundred years or so.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Gerald Tarrant
Jedi Knight

Post by Gerald Tarrant »

How does the disappearance of the Aral Sea rank?
The rain it falls on all alike
Upon the just and unjust fella'
But more upon the just one for
The Unjust hath the Just's Umbrella
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Bhopal.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

I am a result of Agent Orange. 2 spleens, backwards kidneys, fucked up eyesight, anxiety, depression, and bowel problems aplenty. My half brother and half sister have similar issues. And the kicker? The genetic damage continues and worsens through the generations. I have a mentally disabled niece with dwarfism and heart issues. I consider myself one of the lucky ones. One of many reasons I won't be having children.

If I had to pick I'd say dustbowl, though.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Agent Orange was deliberate, though. It's not an accident, although of course in the broader meaning of disaster that thing tops almost everything else.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

well, in fairness the genetic issues weren't deliberate, although I doubt that'd have stopped it given what they were doing with normal weapons.

Bhopal was pretty nasty. Love Canal should probably be up there.

How do people feel about the lost valleys of wales? Valleys completely filled with mining spoil, making a new flat area (an the occasional landslide). It's sort of an ecological disaster, but a new ecosystem has come of it.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Zeropoint
Jedi Knight

Post by Zeropoint »

What about the time all those blue-green algae turned the atmosphere corrosive?
I'm a cis-het white male, and I oppose racism, sexism, homophobia, and transphobia. I support treating all humans equally.

When fascism came to America, it was wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.

That which will not bend must break and that which can be destroyed by truth should never be spared its demise.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

What about the time all those blue-green algae turned the atmosphere corrosive?
He wants manmade disasters. Otherwise, the Giant Impact has you beat anyways. :)
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

The 50 year oil spill in the Niger Delta. Something like an Exxon Valdez a year.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

I forgot about Saddam Hussein setting the Kuwaiti oil fields on fire.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Post by Alkaloid »

Rabbits to Austrailia.
On that note, Cane Toad Control
In an effort to help stop the spread of cane toads, the state government has partnered with the Burdekin Shire Council to introduce up to 22 000 Black Mambas into farms and urban backyards around the Burdekin.

Burdekin Shire Council Animal Management Secretary William Matevellio said the highly venomous snakes will help reduce the population of the cane toad, a pest that causes millions of dollars of damage each year, “These can toads cost farmers and businessman millions each year and they’re a huge annoyance to local residents because they’re weird looking and they’re just fucking everywhere.”

Premier Campbell Newman has stated that the introduction of the Black Mamba made ‘good business sense for Queensland’, “It’s a good decision, and a great example of how local government and state government can work together to deliver solutions to businesses and farmers.”

The Black Mamba, a snake native to northern Africa is among the most venomous, fastest and aggressive in the world with a bite that can kill a human in 13 minutes. Mr Matevellio said the jury was still out on whether the Black Mamba will hunt the cane toads, “Currently, there is no evidence that these snakes hunt cane toads, so this is just a trial. I can’t make any promises that the toad population will be reduced. We’ll have to wait and see.”

The introduction begins on the 29th of January and Council has told residents to be cautious when walking around their yards and homes. Council has also instructed residents to keep pets locked up inside until further notice.
- See more at: http://www.burdekinherald.com/2014/01/2 ... MZJzE.dpuf
:lol:
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Black Mambas...are you fucking kidding me?
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Borgholio wrote:Black Mambas...are you fucking kidding me?
I'm pretty sure that's satire.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw