Underground Nuclear Explosion At Crippled Japan Atomic Plant

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Ted C
Sith Marauder

Underground Nuclear Explosion At Crippled Japan Atomic Plant

Post by Ted C »

To paraphrase Chuck, you don't need to know much about nuclear reactors to know that it's wrong, but I suspect that the more you know, the worse it gets.

http://topinfopost.com/2014/01/03/under ... ocks-world

"An ominous edict issued from the Office of the President of Russia today to all Ministries of the Russian Government ordering that all “past, present and future” information relating to Japan’s Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster now be rated at the highest classification level “Of Special Importance” states that this condition is “immediately and urgently needed” due to a series of underground nuclear explosions occurring at this crippled atomic plant on 31 December as confirmed by the Ministry of Defense (MoD)."
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Re: Underground Nuclear Explosion At Crippled Japan Atomic P

Post by Grumman »

Is that a humour website like the Onion, or are people actually stupid enough to spout that bullshit?
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

I think my favorite part is the graphic showing where Fukushima melts through the core of the Earth and comes out in the Falklands.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

I quite liked the part where they were talking about a 0.0000005 megaton explosion.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

The math doesn't even work out. Break open your geology textbooks or load up an earthquake energy calculator. Punch in 5.1 or 3.6 for the magnitude and see the energy release under Hiroshima equivalents or tons of TNT equivalent. It doesn't square with what's in the article.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Ignore that - the idea that a 5.1 and a 3.6 earthquake in a region that 'recently' had a 9.0 earthquake can -of course - only be caused by nuclear explosions is hillarious enough!
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Some of the comments will frighten you.

...or entertain you. :lol:
Milites Astrum Exterminans
The Xeelee
Padawan Learner

Post by The Xeelee »

Or both.
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

If you tire of those, there's an Apollo 16 rover video in the links on the right with even more disappointingly hilarious comments.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Grumman wrote:Is that a humour website like the Onion, or are people actually stupid enough to spout that bullshit?
They did, and still do, about Chernobyl. All of these, from nuclear explosions, steam nuclear expansions, to straight talking about conspiracy theories and death zones.

Spoiler alert - it's just as true as the OP.