What books do you pick to rebuild civilization?

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

What books do you pick to rebuild civilization?

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

In the original book "The Time Machine"
At the very end, when the Hero travels back to the far future to try and rebuild mankind; his housekeeper remarks to his friend that:
"A few books seem to be missing, he must have taken them with him." to which his friend responds.
"I wonder what books, what books would you take to rebuild humanity?"

Well, an interesting question...

What books out there do you think crystalize various aspects, accomplishments, and knowledge one would use to start things over?
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Re: What books do you pick to rebuild civilization?

Post by Broomstick »

Definitely, you'd want to take books on some very basic topics such as how to build a shelter with primitive tools/materials from overnight camp to sturdy if simple dwelling, basics on subsistence agriculture and animal husbandry, crafts like making clothing from raw source materials, and so on. If you don't have the basics of food, water, and shelter covered you won't be able to rebuild a society, much less a civilization.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

It very much depends on what you mean by what state the world is in. If it's like The Time Machine where you have a far-future society that is at least able to support itself, you'll take different books to, say, the immediate post-nuclear world or the post-epidemic world.

For instance, if you already have a basic level of agriculture and society to work with, you would take books on more advanced agriculture, basic machinery (stuff like waterwheels), basic medicine and so on. However, for the immediate post-cataclysm world where you have small bands of survivors, then the basic details Broomstick mentioned are better.

Of course, in the immediate post-cataclysm world you might also want to take books on machine maintenence if some stuff is still intact so you can keep it working as long as possible.

For the longer-term stuff, high-school level textbooks on science and medicine would be most useful I think. Definitely nothing religious however. I would also avoid taking any "great works" of literature, so that people would be encouraged to create their own from scratch.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

Well, we'd probably want "Code: The Hidden Language of Computer Hardware and Software" from Charles Petzold along with the Church-Turing thesis, just so we can preserve some concept of how binary computers work.
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Channel72 wrote:Well, we'd probably want "Code: The Hidden Language of Computer Hardware and Software" from Charles Petzold along with the Church-Turing thesis, just so we can preserve some concept of how binary computers work.
Yes. Clearly that is what is important.

Depends on what there's space for really. A couple of friends and I had a game/thought experiment once where we had a few weeks notice before the apocalypse and a cruise ship to evacuate our friends/family/anyone we could convince to come so we could be safe and rebuild. We were more focused on what tools and materials we'd need for immediate survival, but one thing we agreed on was to take approximately all the books we owned, could borrow buy or download. All our culture, literature and history, everything on survival, agriculture, medicine and engineering.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

One I would definitely include, even though it is somewhat dated, is the Feynman Lectures on Physics as it was intended for those without any previous knowledge in physics. Obviously this is assuming that the world is sufficiently advanced to be able to not need the basics.

One other reference that might be useful is books on truly elementary reading in th event that the population doesn't know how to read.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

I'd definitely want to include basic mathematics and engineering books. Depending on how far down the tubes civilization went, I'd want to make sure we had the knowledge base to build basic machines such as wind / watermills, forges, pumps, bridges, etc...

Basic medicine and first-aid texts would be a no-brainer. Also some astronomy books, since reading the stars is critical for agriculture and timekeeping.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

I guess i should specify, Since my friend was discussing the movie, for 'Control purposes' you could think of that as the starting zone with the Eloi people.

Basically a primitive but self sustaining Agricultural society.
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Then in that case it's books on more advanced agriculture, basic farm machinery (windmills driving threshing machines and mills etc), basic medicine and sanitation, basic mathematics and science books, astronomy books (although these will be of limited use if we are either in the far future or another world). Perhaps some books on basic legal principles as well.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

If this is the Time Machine protagonist going back to the Eloi / Morlock era, the Morlocks already have a fairly high level of technology (quite likely more advanced than the 1895 contemporary tech). Assuming the Eloi are actually the victims you want to save (various derrivative works put this in doubt) then you'll want military tactics with an emphasis on guerrilla warfare. Assuming victory philosophical, political and historical texts may be vital to giving the Morlocks & Eloi a model of how to live peacefully in a democratic society etc.

In the general case, anatomy, diagnosis, first aid & general biology have to be a high priority, for the sheer number of lives you'd save in advancing medical care faster. Although if you have a time machine I'm not clear why you'd be limited to one trip.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:astronomy books (although these will be of limited use if we are either in the far future or another world).
Regardless of the age of the Earth, basic astronomic principles will still apply. There will still be a North Star (or close to it), you'll be able to measure the seasons based on the Earth's precession, you'll still be able to navigate with a sextant, if the moon still exists, you'll be able to predict the tides, etc...
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Zeropoint
Jedi Knight

Post by Zeropoint »

The Eloi are nothing more than cattle. The Morlocks are the true heirs of humanity!
I'm a cis-het white male, and I oppose racism, sexism, homophobia, and transphobia. I support treating all humans equally.

When fascism came to America, it was wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.

That which will not bend must break and that which can be destroyed by truth should never be spared its demise.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Zeropoint wrote:The Eloi are nothing more than cattle. The Morlocks are the true heirs of humanity!
The Morlocks are supposed to be descended from the 'working classes' and the Eloi from the 'upper classes', so if you implement [standard 201x SDN 'social justice' engram set] then yes probably. :) Actually in the original book the Eloi were literally devolved to a lower intelligence and docile / non-curious personalities, so you really wouldn't have much luck getting them to rebel or advance technologically. Later remakes & retcons made them closer to contemporary humans and the passivity more of a cultural rather than genetic feature.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Borgholio wrote:
Eternal_Freedom wrote:astronomy books (although these will be of limited use if we are either in the far future or another world).
Regardless of the age of the Earth, basic astronomic principles will still apply. There will still be a North Star (or close to it), you'll be able to measure the seasons based on the Earth's precession, you'll still be able to navigate with a sextant, if the moon still exists, you'll be able to predict the tides, etc...
Oh yes the principles will still work, but if you are far into the future (even only a few thousand years) you won't have many recognizable constellations, if any. Having a North Star is pure chance, we just happen to have a bright star within 1 degree of the North Celestial Pole. Now it's Polaris, but 4,000 years ago it was Vega I think. It cycles few several on a 26,000 year cycle more or less. There is no corresponding star in the south.

What I meant was that if the post-apocalypse is relatively close in time, like fifty to a hundred years, then the star maps in current books would still (mostly) be correct. In a thousand years, they won't be.

Also, if you're on another planet, all bets are off. You have to re-map the entire sky and that will take at least a local year to determine which stars should be were at midsummer or midwinter. Having modern books will help but won't drastically speed things up, since we've been using the same basic principles for thousands of years.

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

The most important thing here are language books. Very seldom is knowledge from the past truly lost, most of it is just inaccessible without translations.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Given the conditions described I would most likely take one of the Victorian age farming manuals. Seriously, those things held everything from recipes to farming techniques to instructions on how to cross breed plants and what to look for when doing so. And they were written with the average 19th century peasant in mind so they should be easier for the future-primitives to understand.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Yeah modern navigation is faked.
The time machine, both movie and book versions, take place some 200,000 years in the future.

As for what version, my friend and I were discussing the original movie. In the 2002 remake the time machine is blown up to kill off all the morlocks so there was no chance to go back.

I always assumed the traveler never went back to get more supplies, but who knows.

Would be interesting to see one of those old farming book :)
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Does anyone know a good history book that explains how people did what they did, what specific advances were made in each field? If so, include that, some basic English books and a dictionary and we should be off to a good start.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

I'm surprised I didn't mention it before, but a decent illustrated encyclopedia would be good.

Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

That and primary school grade English books. You know, the stuff they use to teach children how to read and write.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Welf
Padawan Learner

Post by Welf »

My list would be:
-Medical text book. That's knowledge that is not as intuitive as farming or
-Practical books like those victorian How-To books
-Books about agriculture and aanimalhusbandry on a more abstract level
-Mathematical formulae and tables. Weighs less than 100g and will speed up science by 2.000 years
-Some civil law book. Efficient state is good state.
-Encyclopedia. The knowledge itself is useless, but it gives generations to come an idea what is possible.
-Reading for beginners. It would suck if the books aforementioned become useless because I break my neck the second day.
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

One edited printed copy of Wikipedia? Broad enough to be always useful, gives ideas what to do in almost every situation and science even when it lacks details. Yes, trolls, inaccuracies, and all, but it beats every other encyclopaedia and compendium we have now anyway. Maybe also include wiki version written in 'simple english' with notes how to read, too.

For extra points, attach title page with big "STC" printed in bold letters :wink:
slebetman
Padawan Learner

Post by slebetman »

Irbis wrote:One edited printed copy of Wikipedia?
That gigantic book from the article is only 0.01% of Wikipedia. I think we'd be better off with the entire Encyclopedia Brittanica (which incidentally my dad bought and I spent countless hours as a kid reading random topics from it like how I browse the web today).
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:For the longer-term stuff, high-school level textbooks on science and medicine would be most useful I think. Definitely nothing religious however. I would also avoid taking any "great works" of literature, so that people would be encouraged to create their own from scratch.
Dunno, useful tool for maintaining social cohesion in whatever apocalyptic or pre-tech era you land in.
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

slebetman wrote:That gigantic book from the article is only 0.01% of Wikipedia. I think we'd be better off with the entire Encyclopedia Brittanica (which incidentally my dad bought and I spent countless hours as a kid reading random topics from it like how I browse the web today).
Yes, it is 0.01%, with two caveats - it is very thick paper (I have 5000 page book that is maybe 1/11 as thick) and edited as in we could skip all the 'noise' articles (vast majority of cultural ones, such as articles on superheroes, tiny stuff important only locally, you'd only need synopsis of the major works). You can't edit paper Britannica in such a way, meaning it would have less useful data ratio, and technical information we'd need to rebuild civilization tends to be longer and have more details in wiki. Though, I guess it could do too, especially if we could combine best aspects of the two.