Mars and Earth Switch Places - Effect on climate?

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: Mars and Earth Switch Places - Effect on climate?

Post by Simon_Jester »

They'd help, indeed they're routinely proposed as a part of how to terraform Mars in the first place, but given the shitty condition of our space launch infrastructure I doubt we could implement the solution in time.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

That's my problem with them as well. It would be easier just to let things rip with methane and CO2 production (plus CFC and HFC production) than to build the space infrastructure you'd need to build in the short term to get those mirrors up there. They'd have to come later.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

One of the ideas I think is to turn ice asteroids / comets on mars
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)
Slacker
Jedi Knight

Post by Slacker »

Woah slowdown for a second. I don't think that terraforming calculator accounts for internal geological heat produced by Earth itself. I mean, don't get me wrong, it's still catastrophic for human civilization, but a not-inconsiderate amount of the heat on the surface here is produced internally, because unlike Mars, Earth's core is both liquid and fairly active. I mean, still tundra in New York bad, but not death-of-all-multi-cellular-life bad.

Or I could be wrong.
"I'm sorry, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that your inability to use the brain evolution granted you is any of my fucking concern."
"You. Stupid. Shit." Victor desperately wished he knew enough Japanese to curse properly. "Davions take alot of killing." -Grave Covenant
Founder of the Cult of Weber