Sun's magnetic poles (need help understanding)

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

xerex
Jedi Knight

Sun's magnetic poles (need help understanding)

Post by xerex »

HI There.

So I was reading this article on yahoo and came across this.

http://news.yahoo.com/calm-solar-cycle- ... 12384.html

Cycle 24 has also diverged from the norm in another surprising way.

Typically, around the end of each 11-year sunspot cycle, the sun's magnetic fields switch direction. The northern and southern hemispheres change polarity, usually simultaneously.

During the swap, the strength of the magnetic fields drops to near zero and reappears when the polarity is reversed, scientists explain.

But this time, something different seems to be happening. The north pole already reversed its polarity several months ago -- and so it's now the same polarity as the south pole.

According to the most recent satellite measurements, "the south hemisphere should flip on the near future," said Todd Hoeksema, director of the Wilcox Solar Observatory at Stanford University.
can someone explain to me what that actually means ? If I took a compass to the sun would it spin in circles ? Thanks in advance.
Go back far enough and you'll end up blaming some germ for splitting in two - Col Tigh
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Re: Sun's magnetic poles (need help understanding)

Post by Borgholio »

Right now, a compass would point to whichever pole was stronger. If they were equally strong, then it would point to whichever pole you were closest to.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD »

How can both poles be south? I thought it was impossible for something like that to happen?
AMX
Jedi Knight

Post by AMX »

InsaneTD wrote:How can both poles be south? I thought it was impossible for something like that to happen?
On an elementary magnet, yes.
But the sun is pretty big, so it's perfectly possible to reverse the polarity of only a part of it - so now both "visible" poles are magnetic south, and each of them has a magnetic-north counterpart that's buried inside the sun.

Yes, that means there are two north poles next to each other - that's an unstable configuration, and would normally cause the rest of the sun to also switch polarity, to align everything again.
The puzzling thing about the current situation is why that hasn't happened yet.
InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD »

Puzzling? I'd call it mildly disturbing and a cause for concern. Admittedly, I'm working off high school physics and don't know much at all about astrophysics.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

To know whether it's disturbing you'd have to know how fast the magnetized parts of the Sun should move. Understanding anything about what the Sun's interior does requires plasma physics (I know a little and it's not trivial), and bear in mind even then that we're talking about an object roughly a million miles across. It's not small, it takes a very real and significant amount of time for changes to propagate across a mass that large.

This may just be like how when a building collapses, it usually collapses one story at a time instead of all at once.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

InsaneTD wrote:Puzzling? I'd call it mildly disturbing and a cause for concern. Admittedly, I'm working off high school physics and don't know much at all about astrophysics.
It's odd by our frame of reference, but not a cause for concern. As noted in the OP quote, the sun's magnetic field routinely reverses, and it's not unusual for there to be a bit of chaos in around such reversals.

For that matter, the magnetic polarity of the Earth also changes every so often, and moves around. We just don't notice because we can't perceive it directly. Back when I was a pilot our navigation charts used to list magnetic deviation, basically, the difference between geographic north and magnetic north, which is important to know over long distances for some types of navigation. One reason the charts are updated on a regular schedule is because that number changes over time. There are also things called geomagnetic excursions, where the local magnetic field on Earth temporarily differs significantly from the global field so a magnetic compass in such an area may show a north that's 20 or 40 degrees different from what the rest of the planet shows. That's just on Earth.

The sun, not being a solid object but rather a very violently churning ball of plasma, has this sort of thing going on all the time. It's nothing new, it's actually routine, but it's news to us. The biggest concern to us, 150 million kilometers away, is that chaotic solar magnetic fields are associated with things like coronal mass ejections which can fuck up our satellites and cause power outages in our utilities.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Sunspots are believed to be a result of the magnetic field twisting up like a rubber band every 11 years or so. It's really quite fascinating, but the physics can be difficult to wrap your head around at times.
krakonfour
Padawan Learner

Post by krakonfour »

InsaneTD wrote:Puzzling? I'd call it mildly disturbing and a cause for concern. Admittedly, I'm working off high school physics and don't know much at all about astrophysics.
The sun is a hot ball of ionized gas. I'm sure two or three magnets can reach a temporary equilibrium in there.
GREAT BALLS OF FIRE!
Like worldbuilding? Write D&D adventures or GTFO.

A setting: Iron Giants
Another setting: Supersonic swords and Gun-Kata
Attempts at Art
InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD »

I knew the Earth's North Pole wobbled about from high school, didn't know about localized magnetic spots. Sounds like something interesting to read about, I don't suppose anyone has a handy link for the layman to look at (Cause I'm lazy)?
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Google "geomagnetic excursion" and "geomagnetic reversal". There is also the South Atlantic Anomaly which is believed to be caused by the Earth's magnetic axis being offset from its physical axis
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD »

Thanks broomstick, I'll do that.
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

InsaneTD wrote:How can both poles be south? I thought it was impossible for something like that to happen?
Compare:

Reversal isn't something that happens at once, think of avalanche of changes trying to reach stable equilibrium. It's not two south poles, more like whole network becoming a mess trying to untangle.
InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD »

That is incredibly pretty. Thanks for answering my questions guys.
krakonfour
Padawan Learner

Post by krakonfour »

InsaneTD wrote:That is incredibly pretty. Thanks for answering my questions guys.
It also looks wickedly dangerous. Are those massive magnetic loops close to the surface the cause for equally massive solar flares?
GREAT BALLS OF FIRE!
Like worldbuilding? Write D&D adventures or GTFO.

A setting: Iron Giants
Another setting: Supersonic swords and Gun-Kata
Attempts at Art
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Are those massive magnetic loops close to the surface the cause for equally massive solar flares?
You betcha. Solar flares, Mass Ejections, and Sunspots are all related to the magnetic field. The more twisted it is, the more solar activity you'll get.