On being 'cool to sa' the N-word and other slurs

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: On being 'cool to sa' the N-word and other slurs

Post by Simon_Jester »

In the United States, "Negro" comes with a sting because it was what polite racist scumbags called the victims of their racism during the Civil Rights era. In another country that might not be an issue, but it sure is here.

"Black" is not useful in Australia where there are at least three distinct racial minority groups unrelated to Africa that might reasonably be described as 'black.' Since none of these minorities are heavily represented in the US, the US has a different vocabulary situation.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

If the word isn't aimed at you, I don't see why you should feel any sort of capacity to determine if it's "the correct" term. Do you really think "oh you shouldn't feel bad about this word that has bad history and systematic power attached to it because it's convenient for me" is an ok thing to say?
Korto
Jedi Master

Post by Korto »

Grandmaster Jogurt wrote:If the word isn't aimed at you, I don't see why you should feel any sort of capacity to determine if it's "the correct" term.
I didn't. The dictionary did.
Do you really think "oh you shouldn't feel bad about this word that has bad history and systematic power attached to it because it's convenient for me" is an ok thing to say?
To look at it another way, do you feel that because the US has a problem with a word, then the entire rest of the world should stop using it? Exactly how arrogant is that?

Passed a Sudanese some time ago in the street. Black as coal, so possibly Beja. Let's assume he's naturalised Australian. I'm not going to call him "African American" on this site, or anywhere else. He has, as far as I know, nothing to do with the US.
“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”
Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

Going by your incredibly simplistic and childish logic, you should use black because it has the same basic definition, doesn't carry so many negative connotations, and is fewer syllables. Of course, that wouldn't give you an excuse to tell people they aren't allowed to be offended by you being offensive, so it's not as fun.
Replicant
Padawan Learner

Post by Replicant »

Question

Would it be right or wrong for a white person to tell two black people who are using ni**er in their conversation back and forth between them to please stop because it was offensive to hear?
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Replicant wrote:Question

Would it be right or wrong for a white person to tell two black people who are using ni**er in their conversation back and forth between them to please stop because it was offensive to hear?
I'm going to say it's right, and a nearly daily occurrence for me, personally. I would do precisely the same for any group they insulted that was or wasn't present.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Replicant
Padawan Learner

Post by Replicant »

Ahriman238 wrote:
Replicant wrote:Question

I'm going to say it's right, and a nearly daily occurrence for me, personally. I would do precisely the same for any group they insulted that was or wasn't present.
Makes me wonder where you hang out on a daily basis.

I ask the question because of how some Blacks at least feel they have special privilege to use the N-Word in casual conversation.