You have your older siblings cells in your body

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Kitsune
Sith Devotee

You have your older siblings cells in your body

Post by Kitsune »

How cool is that?
The study is on dogs but should also be the case with humans

http://munews.missouri.edu/news-release ... hers-find/

Older Siblings’ Cells Can Be Passed From Female Dogs to Their Puppies in the Womb, MU Researchers Find
Discovery will help further research into health effects of microchimerism

Oct. 23, 2013

Story Contact(s):
Nathan Hurst, hurstn@missouri.edu, 573-882-6217

COLUMBIA, Mo. – Some people possess a small number of cells in their bodies that are not genetically their own; this condition is known as microchimerism. In prior studies, researchers from the University of Missouri College of Veterinary Medicine found that this condition also exists in dogs. Now, the researchers have found evidence that this condition can be passed from a female dog to her offspring while they are still in the womb. Jeffrey Bryan, an associate professor of oncology at the MU College of Veterinary Medicine and director of Comparative Oncology and Epigenetics Laboratory, says this discovery will help further study into the health effects of microchimerism in dogs and in humans.

“We already have some evidence that microchimerism may increase risk of thyroid disease while lowering the risk of breast cancer in women,” Bryan said. “The pet dog represents an excellent model of many ailments in people, and the presence of fetal microchimerism in dogs will allow studies which further clarify its role in health and disease. Knowing that the condition can be passed on through birth will help us track the condition and its effects through several generations of animals.”

Microchimerism most often occurs when a mother gives birth to a child. In some cases, cells from that child are left in the mothers’ body and continue to live, despite being of a different genetic makeup than surrounding cells. The MU researchers have identified evidence that those cells can then be passed on to other children the mother may give birth to at a later time.

In their study, Senthil Kumar, a co-investigator in this study and assistant research professor and assistant director of the Comparative Oncology and Epigenetics Laboratory and Bryan, along with MU researchers Sandra Axiak-Bechtel, assistant professor of oncology, and Sara Hansen, a comparative medicine resident at MU,found microchimerism in a female dog that had given birth to male and female puppies. The researchers found cells with Y-chromosomes in the mother after these births, meaning the mother had male cells present in her female body. The researchers also found genetically similar male cells in the mother’s female puppies from a later litter. Those puppies were newborn and had never been pregnant, strongly suggesting that they acquired the cells that were left behind by their older brothers while in the womb.

“These new findings are significant because they suggest that the movement, or trafficking, of fetal cells is quite extensive in dogs, as has been suggested in people,” Bryan said. “This degree of cell trafficking can have an impact on health, disease, and therapy, including in transplantation. The identification of this phenomenon strongly suggests that companion dogs will help us more rapidly understand the real impact of microchimerism in human medicine.”

Kumar, Hansen, Axiak-Bechtel, and Bryan plan on continuing their research to follow the lifespans of dogs with microchimerism to determine to what diseases those dogs may be susceptible.

This study was published in the journal, Chimerism.
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey
Location: Born and raised in Brooklyn, unfornately presently in Jersey

Re: You have your older siblings cells in your body

Post by ArmorPierce »

I believe this is related to people having undeveloped twins in their body liketeeth and stuff. I think even a southpark episode had mentioned it years ago.
Brotherhood of the Monkey @( !.! )@
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

An undeveloped twin would be no surprise, since that would just be "a clump of cells genetically identical to yours separated away from the embryo-that-was-you, then reattached or got englobed by the embryo-that-was-you at a later time."

It's a whole different order of weird if residual cells from your big sister were hanging around in the womb for months or years and then got absorbed by the embryo-that-was-you.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

It was already known that children cells end up around the mothers body
http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... hers-brain
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Simon_Jester wrote:An undeveloped twin would be no surprise, since that would just be "a clump of cells genetically identical to yours separated away from the embryo-that-was-you, then reattached or got englobed by the embryo-that-was-you at a later time."

It's a whole different order of weird if residual cells from your big sister were hanging around in the womb for months or years and then got absorbed by the embryo-that-was-you.
That has happened.

There have been cases of fetus in fetu (absorbed twin) and outright chimerism where there are two separate and distinct genomes involved. Absorbed embryos should not be assumed to be genetically identical until proven so.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Yes, I am aware.

Cases of absorbed fraternal twins, which would not be genetically identical and would produce that which we now call chimerism are a known thing. However, in this case both twins were at least conceived at the same time.

My point is simply that observed cases of "bits of last fetus hang around for a long time and are only then absorbed into a new one" is new.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey
Location: Born and raised in Brooklyn, unfornately presently in Jersey

Post by ArmorPierce »

Actually, I recall there being a story where a woman's children were being shown to be tested as not her children via genetic testing and it turned out due to her reproductive organs not being genetically the same as the rest of her body due to this. Kind of two separate genetically beings living in the same body and functioning off of each other.

http://www.academia.edu/202539/Which_Ha ... bjectivity
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lydia_Fairchild
Brotherhood of the Monkey @( !.! )@
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.