Strange question time- cutting the Sun in half.

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Strange question time- cutting the Sun in half.

Post by Iroscato »

Random question that just popped into my head. What would happen if some monstrously powerful force neatly bisected the Sun right through its corona, surface and core, then took away one half? Obviously the planets and their orbits would be fucked, but what would happen to the star itself? Would it explode from pent up pressure in the core? Would it manage to reform into a smaller star?
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Singular Intellect
Jedi Council Member

Re: Strange question time- cutting the Sun in half.

Post by Singular Intellect »

My immediate layman interpretation of such an event, which I assume you to mean happens practically instantly, results in the remaining matter rapidly reforming itself into a much smaller star with half the mass.

I'll leave it to the more knowledgeable here to explain whether it would be a self sustaining one or how far off the mark I am.
"Now let us be clear, my friends. The fruits of our science that you receive and the many millions of benefits that justify them, are a gift. Be grateful. Or be silent." -Modified Quote
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Singular Intellect wrote:My immediate layman interpretation of such an event, which I assume you to mean happens practically instantly, results in the remaining matter rapidly reforming itself into a much smaller star with half the mass.

I'll leave it to the more knowledgeable here to explain whether it would be a self sustaining one or how far off the mark I am.
Yes, I did mean instantly, thanks for pointing it out.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Korto
Jedi Master

Post by Korto »

For another layman's guess, before the big boys arrive:

The centre of the sun explodes out into the missing side, due to the immense pressure with no longer anything holding it back, probably exploding out a fair way. This may propel the sun sideways a bit.
The outer layers, bereft of the support of the inner, collapse inwards.
Whole thing explodes in a way similar to a supernova.
“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”
Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Imagine squeezing half a lemon...
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

A type 1 supernova frequently occurs when a small star like our sun merges with another star, rapidly increasing the mass and causing an explosion.

Since this scenario is the opposite, I'd classify it a type 0.5 supernova.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Cool, thanks guys. Expect more random questions in the future. :P

- Raw Shark

- SirNitram (RIP)
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Borgholio wrote:A type 1 supernova frequently occurs when a small star like our sun merges with another star, rapidly increasing the mass and causing an explosion.

Since this scenario is the opposite, I'd classify it a type 0.5 supernova.
Sorry, but thats just wrong. Type I and Type II supernova are differentiated by their spectra, not what happens.

I think you mean Type Ia, but even that isn't right in this case. Type Ib, Ic and II are the massive-star core-collapse supernovae, Type Ia is when a white dwarf crosses over the Chandrasekhar limit and becomes a neutron star.

At most this would give you an ordinary nova, a sudden brightening of a star that then fades over time. The exposed core region would expand violently outwards, quite possibly at escape velocity or above, meaning all that mass (and in the sun's core, that's a lot) would be ejected out into the solar system. Think a Coronal Mass Ejection on an apocalyptic scale.

The remaining mass would probably coalesce into a new, half-solar mass star, but I think it would take a while for enough pressure to build up to start fusion again. If the delay is too long, we die.

Worse, the sun is now half it's mass, which means all the planet's are no longer in stable orbits. Worse, the sun (if it continued to shine) will now be dimmer and cooler, hence the habitable zone will change and Earth will become a dead wasteland like Mars.

Basically, it's game over for Mankind.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

You're right, I meant type 1a. I was going by the premise that if a type 1a supernova is caused by an increase in mass, then an explosion caused by a loss in mass (cutting the star in half) would jokingly be called a type .5 supernova.

With that being said, I would expect most of the core to explode violently away from the remaining shell of the star. If anything remains to collapse again, would it even be enough to be a brown dwarf?
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

The smallest main-sequence stars we've seen are in the range of 0.08 solar masses, so it's quite possible that enough mass will remain to form a main-sequence star. That being said, it will be dim, red, cool and probably not even Mercury would be in the habitable zone. Earth becomes a frozen wasteland, even if the sudden orbital chaos doesn't eject it from the solar system.

On the plus side, the Sun would suddenly gain a much longer life expectancy.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.