How vaccines have changed the US in a single graphic

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Kitsune
Sith Devotee

How vaccines have changed the US in a single graphic

Post by Kitsune »

Source

Just how stark change it is
Last edited by PeZook on 2013-09-09 06:07am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed title
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Re: How vaccines have changed the world in a single graphic

Post by Broomstick »

I really like that graphic and have plans to share it far and wide.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Do I really have to point out the usual: the US is not the world? :P
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Never hurts - it is a misleading title.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

Broomstick wrote:Never hurts - it is a misleading title.
My title is from the article and think we can project in this case to the rest of the world
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)
Omeganian
Jedi Knight

Post by Omeganian »

PeZook wrote:Do I really have to point out the usual: the US is not the world? :P
Of course you are welcome to provide different statistics for the rest so long as properly supported.
Q: How are children made in the TNG era Federation?

A: With power couplings. To explain, you shut down the power to the lights, and then, in the darkness, you have the usual TOS era coupling.
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

PeZook wrote:Do I really have to point out the usual: the US is not the world?
That's crazy talk. What is this non-US world you speak of? I hope you're not talking about Canada, or other various mythological nether-regions.
Kitsune wrote:Just how stark change it is
Yeah. We really often take for granted how fucking amazing modern technology and medical science really is. Average life-expectancy (from around 20 years in the Neolithic to around 70 years today) is another incredible indicator of how far we've really come. Life used to really suck.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Kitsune wrote:
Broomstick wrote:Never hurts - it is a misleading title.
My title is from the article and think we can project in this case to the rest of the world
Why?

Omeganian wrote:
PeZook wrote:Do I really have to point out the usual: the US is not the world? :P
Of course you are welcome to provide different statistics for the rest so long as properly supported.
"I did a bad job but you are welcome to do all the work of correcting it."
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

I agree with the general gist of the piece, it's just that generalizing it to the rest of the world is a bit hasty.

EDIT: Oh wait I totally forgot! Fixed title :D

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Thanas wrote:
Kitsune wrote:My title is from the article and think we can project in this case to the rest of the world
Why?
Does a diptheria vaccine work less well in other parts of the world than in the US? Sure, it might not have achieved the same high rate of vaccination and herd immunity there, but that's not the vaccine's fault.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Re: How vaccines have changed the US in a single graphic

Post by Broomstick »

Saying "the world" implies it's the same all over as we know it's not - plenty of third world countries have appallingly low vaccination rates and several of those diseases are still endemic in those places. Which is a damn shame because there's no reason for that suffering to still be occurring other than apathy, disinterest, and in a few cases, active campaigns against vaccination.

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

We also did murder smallpox and are currently holding all survivors captive under guard, so that's one way how vaccines did change the entire world :D

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Simon_Jester wrote:
Thanas wrote:
Kitsune wrote:My title is from the article and think we can project in this case to the rest of the world
Why?
Does a diptheria vaccine work less well in other parts of the world than in the US? Sure, it might not have achieved the same high rate of vaccination and herd immunity there, but that's not the vaccine's fault.
People are still dieing from diptheria in Africa. Vaccination rates matter a lot more than just effectiveness. Also, nobody claimed that to be the fault of the vaccine, so I don't know what you are arguing here.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

PeZook wrote:We also did murder smallpox and are currently holding all survivors captive under guard, so that's one way how vaccines did change the entire world :D
Yes. Now if we can just get people to stop being stupid about polio we might achieve equal success there.

As a side note, while it does not involve vaccines, we are also on the verge of eliminating dracunculus, which would be the first parasitic disease rendered extinct.