tDCS - Transcranial direct current stimulation

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

tDCS - Transcranial direct current stimulation

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

• 1. Who here knows (roughly) what tDCS is (without my explaining it).
    2. Anyone interested in helping proofread a neuropsychology seminar paper on tDCS as a general cognitive enhancer/neuromodulator? (specifically, my own paper)
    3. Has anyone here (or friends of yours) tried building a home made tDCS kit?
I assumed this would be the type of hardware hacking nerd population that this might be of interest too :).

(Obligitarory safety Statement: Zapping your brain with electrodes is not safe, and should not be tried for safety reasons. etc' )
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Re: tDCS - Transcranial direct current stimulation

Post by madd0ct0r »

I'm aware of it generally - as an archaic cure for depression that is receiving renewed interest for non drug responsive depression. Since fluxotine is working well for me, I've never even once been tempted to build a DIY kit.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Back when I worked for medical researchers they did a paper on the subject so I've been aware of it for, oh, well over a decade now. I've long wondered why there wasn't more news about it, or more research and it seemed quite promising. Never considered a DIY version.

I'd be interested in reading your paper, and willing to proofread as "payment" for the privilege. I'm assuming it is in English?
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Broomstick wrote: I'd be interested in reading your paper, and willing to proofread as "payment" for the privilege. I'm assuming it is in English?
Thanks!
It's not planned to be an published academic paper, alass, hence my problem finding proofreaders. It's just one last (and on of very few) big-ass paper to finish my degree. It's written as a review.

I should finish the $@#$ thing within the next few days. Thank you very much!!!!!
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

OK - let me know of any deadlines involved. I PM'd you on e-mail details.

Looks like between this and doing research on my upcoming lawsuit with a former employer I'll be found mostly in stacks of paperwork this week - and I suspect yours is going to be far more interesting than my legal stuff. :lol:
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

I'd be willing to proofread it, as well. I know a little about tDCS, and most of my research the past 2-3 years has been in neuropsychology (or closely related disciplines).
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Ziggy Stardust wrote:I'd be willing to proofread it, as well. I know a little about tDCS, and most of my research the past 2-3 years has been in neuropsychology (or closely related disciplines).
Awesome, thank you very much!
Photography