Tech requirements for viable flying car.

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Tech requirements for viable flying car.

Post by Wicked Pilot »

Surprised no one has mentioned it before but probably noise is going to be your biggest issue to overcome. You can buy helicopters like the one listed below and park it in the backyard of your average American McMansion. First time you take it on a pizza and beer run at ten o'clock at night though you can expect to have the homeowner's association all up in your ass. Good luck too getting Wal-Mart to agree to letting you use their parking lot as an LZ. I imagine this one's pretty quiet as helos go too, if you want an SUV equivalent you'll be looking at a turbine engine, and the NIMBYs will really be coming out of the woodwork for that.

http://www.controller.com/listingsdetai ... 284205.htm
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I wouldn't describe any Robinson as "quiet", but yeah, not quite as noisy as some.

If you're talking about turbine engines you'll also have issues with the exhaust temperatures which are quite... toasty.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

And of course turbines (and probably ducted fans, too) will turn any loose screws, rocks and the like into potentially projectiles that are potentially lethal to everyone present on the parking lot.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Sky Captain wrote:Collison safety also would be big issue because with thousands of those things in the air collisions would be likely and in the air every minor fender bender would end with falling to death and possibly also on someones head. Maybe a parachute and fully computer cotrolled flight control could solve some of those problems.
As an interest point, if we had inexpensive and safe Star Wars style speeder cars, the immediate thing I'd want to see happen is that they would be used exclusively for public transport, emergency and cargo, with absolutely zero private ownership and use. That accomplishes several things:

1) Ensures that the people whizzing around in the air are specially trained to operate the vehicle, and whose JOB it is to navigate safely in this "lower commuter airspace".

2) Gets a lot of congestion (and the corresponding costly wear and tear) off of the roads. Among other things, emergency vehicles (such as ambulances, fire, and police) don't have to navigate road hazards, construction sites, traffic jams, etc. to get to and from emergencies. Public transport becomes much more direct (and arguably then favourable) than private.

This of course presumes that these machines aren't going to fall on anyone's heads or plow through some appartment building's upper story window, but we expect the same thing from regular air travel, so I'm assuming it's basically a given that there's a plan to handle the increased number of navigation hazards.
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Lots of Sci-Fi portrays their flying cars as following distinct lanes at distinct altitudes - so even with private ownership, they won't be zipping all around the place.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Even in the US's most uncontrolled airspace it's still strongly suggested that you adopt certain altitudes for certain directions - really, it's no more a stretch than keeping either right or left on a road. The problem isn't formulating some relatively simple rules to keep traffic order, the problem is getting the nearly bald upright bipedal apes to follow the rules.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Dass.Kapital
Padawan Learner

Post by Dass.Kapital »

Adding a "What if" example of the previous "V.T.O.L" lift device I mentioned further up post.

http://cutangus.deviantart.com/art/USAF ... -282197621
Highlord Laan wrote:Agatha Heterodyne built a squadron of flying pigs and an overgunned robot reindeer in a cave! With a box of scraps!
"And low, I have cometh, the destroyer of threads."
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Serafina wrote:Lots of Sci-Fi portrays their flying cars as following distinct lanes at distinct altitudes - so even with private ownership, they won't be zipping all around the place.
You're probably right, but I'd imagine that the temptation among lazy drivers to, say, just take a shortcut and fly over a local public park would be more tempting than it would be for a land-bound person to drive through it. For one thing, it's easier.
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Not if all flying cars are equipped with black boxes that automatically record your flight path and send it to the police when a traffic camera nabs you :D

The vehicles would need a good inertial navigation system anyways, and traffic cameras can automatically enforce things even today ; Like telling if a car is authorized to enter bus lanes or catching vehicles moving against traffic, running red lights, etc.

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Forgothrax
Padawan Learner

Post by Forgothrax »

Might be wise to just mandate that flying cars run on autopilot within city limits. Very few non-professional drivers would be willing to go through the certification and licensing process to actually learn how to fly an aircraft manually in thick traffic, methinks. Outside the cities, some regulations might be relaxed, but autopilot would probably still be the norm.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Yeah, and turning off autopilot inside city limits could automatically flag your vehicle for traffic management systems (since it would mean either an emergency or a violation)

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Forgothrax wrote:Might be wise to just mandate that flying cars run on autopilot within city limits. Very few non-professional drivers would be willing to go through the certification and licensing process to actually learn how to fly an aircraft manually in thick traffic, methinks.
Speaking as someone who actually has gone through the necessary training and is certified to fly in heavy air traffic areas, including the current busiest airports (should I desire) I'd think even those who could fly manually might well opt to use autopilot. Flying in heavy air traffic is at least an order of magnitude worse than driving in heavy ground traffic.