NZ politician pwns homophobes

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

NZ politician pwns homophobes

Post by mr friendly guy »

So NZ legalised gay marriage and the homophobes are out in force. Fortunately Maurice Williamson (who must have been the reincarnation of a comedian) mocks them in a style which would make SDN proud. The article was originally from TYT on youtube, however I have managed to find the speech unedited.

Enjoy
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Re: NZ politician pwns homophobes

Post by mr friendly guy »

Edit - on further research this was over a month old, but the TYT only picked it up a few days ago. But nevertheless its still awesome.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

That.. Is freaking BEAUTIFUL!
Dear god can ANYONE here imagine the response if an American politician did this?
Ye GODS the howling that would happen!

This is some of the most amazing, wonderful up front talk EVER!
Bully on!
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

it's been posted here already I think.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Well..........

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singapor ... 31920.html
Singapore Democratic Party politican Vincent Wijeysingha officially came out as a gay man on his Facebook page on Friday.

This makes him Singapore's first openly gay politician.

The 43-year-old social work lecturer's Facebook post also mentioned the Facebook page Fabrications About The PAP -- he told Yahoo! Singapore that "the reference was tongue-in-cheek".

Wijeysingha wrote, "Just in case Fabrications About The PAP is wondering, yes, I am going to Pink Dot tomorrow. And yes, I am gay."

Pink Dot is a non-profit movement to celebrate the freedom to love regardless of sexual orientation. It is attended by lesbians, gays, bisexuals and transgenders, together with straight allies. It will take place for the fifth time on Saturday (29 June) evening.

Wijeysingha also wrote that "I don't have a gay agenda", referring to an incident in the 2011 general elections when Member of Parliament Vivian Balakrishnan accused him of pursuing the "gay agenda" in politics.

Reactions on social media have been generally positive. Wijeysingha's post has garnered more than 300 likes thus far. Veteran actress Neo Swee Lin commented, "Love and respect to you".

Facebook user Roderick Teh chimed in, "I've always believed that the politicians who are totally comfortable with their sexual orientation are ultimately going to be the most respectable and most productive individuals voted into public office. So take note - Vincent Wijeysingha is a truly worthy politician."

On Twitter, Ng Yi Shu, writer for sociopolitical site The Online Citizen, tweeted "#respect" while Twitter user Maria Rowe tweeted, "A virtual hug of support for Vincent Wijeysingha."

Kinda important, I can't seem to find the actual news article that contains the mudslinging, but a link given in the above article

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singapor ... 56037.html
On Monday, the People's Action Party (PAP) Holland-Bukit Timah GRC team led by Minister for Community Development, Youth and Sports, Dr Vivian Balakrishnan, had questioned if the SDP and in particular Dr Wijeysingha, will pursue the "gay agenda" in the political arena.

This comes after a YouTube video showed the SDP candidate in a forum on how to further promote the rights of gays and lesbians.

However, SDP chief Chee Soon Juan later responded that neither the party nor its candidates will pursue such an agenda and both parties have since put the matter to rest.

Addressing the issue for the first time in public, Dr Wijeysingha who is also an executive director of a social welfare organisation says that he bears no hard feelings and would also like to put the matter behind him.
The news article ignores some of the mudslinging that went on, with an actual politician challenging Singaporeans on whether they would be ready to accept their first gay 'minister' and insuinations about the gay agenda and stuff.

Every week, the ruling administration gets stuck between the reality of the world as it is and the strange stranglelock the Christian Right has on the PAP. I mean, given the status of the party, there's no way in hell the limited funding the Christian right has can impact any election in Singapore......

The only thing I can think of on why the PAP is still kowtowing to the Christian Right is the impact that the Christian Right might have on pushing out the vote. And a symptom of how the PAP as a party has diminished, if its political wing can be so negatively impacted by such a group.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
SMJB
Padawan Learner

Post by SMJB »

Awesome.
Simon_Jester wrote:"WHERE IS YOUR MISSILEGOD NOW!?"
Starglider wrote:* Simon stared coldly across the table at the student, who had just finnished explaining the link between the certainty of young earth creation and the divinely ordained supremacy of the white race. "I am updating my P values", Simon said through thinned lips, "to a direction and degree you will find... most unfavourable."