Worlds most boring experiment

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

wautd
Emperor's Hand

Worlds most boring experiment

Post by wautd »

Link
Is this the most boring experiment ever? Scientists watch drops of pitch form - and there have been eight in 75 years

Experiment began in 1927 to prove pitch is a liquid
In 75 years, just EIGHT drops have fallen
The rate is slowing, and last drop fell 12 years ago
Current custodian has watched since 60s - but has missed all five drops that have fallen
Drop 'could' fall this year, but 2013 'is a better bet'
It's the world's longest-running experiment - and the very, very patient scientists in charge are waiting for a single drop of pitch to fall, 12 YEARS after the last one fell.

The ‘pitch drop’ experiment began in 1927 and was designed to show that solid-looking pitch was, in fact, a liquid.

The experiment has been running now for 85 years and it is estimated that it will last for another century.
A lump of the black substance, which can be broken with a hammer, was put into a glass funnel - and the waiting began.

A decade after the late Professor Thomas Parnell, formerly from Cambridge University, began the process, the first of eight drops fell.

The viscous liquid continued its incredibly slow, but inexorable, journey downwards, and in 1947 the second drop fell.

The next drops occurred in 1954, 1962, 1970, 1979, 1988 and lastly in 2000 when the webcam that was trained on the experiment broke at the crucial stage.

Professor John Mainstone is now custodian of the experiment that is on public display at the University of Queensland in Brisbane, Australia.

Since starting at the university in the early 60s he has missed all five drops that have fallen.

He hopes to be present when the next one - which has grown into a perfect teardrop shape - finally falls from the funnel.

He believes that the drop could possibly fall this year, but thinks 2013 is a better bet.

Since the webcam was erected next to the experiment it has attracted a large and devoted following of barmy boffins and amateur enthusiasts from around the world.

Indeed, Professor Mainstone was surprised to receive emails from the Inuit people who were watching the experiment online.
As more drops fall the gaps between them will grow, so the next drop could be the last one for decades.

Prof Mainstone, 77, another alumnus of Cambridge, said: ‘I am friendly with Thomas Parnell's son, who is now in his 80s.

‘He said that other people in the physics department didn't take much interest in it. The students probably laughed at him.

‘It became something of a real oddity and was hidden away in a cupboard and when I started I had to convict the department to put it on display. There were people who thought it should just be thrown out.

‘Before he died in 1948, Parnell would have been there for two drops, so I've been there for many more than him. But no one has ever actually watched one fall.

‘The last time it happened I was in London and I got an email saying it was getting close, but I wasn't worried because we had a camera on it.

‘Then I got an email to say it had happened, which was followed by another email to say the camera had not worked. Hopefully the technology is better now.

‘The closest I have been to seeing a drop live is five minutes away, and on another occasion I left the university thinking it would not drop at least until the next day, but when when I arrived in the morning it had happened.

‘It is very difficult to judge when it is going to drop. But as it gets nearer the pitch hangs by filaments and when one of those breaks it goes.

‘I don't think it will happen this year, but maybe in 2013 - but you really never know, it could happen sooner. It's got a mind of its own. You've got to be a bit philosophical about it.

‘The current drop is much smaller than the last one, which is still attached to the pitch, but it may flatten out so the next drop might come away quite clearly.

‘Pitch is not a homogeneous substance and is a complex mix of hydrocarbons so it is difficult to predict what will happen, especially as the conditions have changed with the introduction of air conditioning.

‘People from around the world get in touch about it - and not just from English speaking countries.

‘I've even had emails from Inuit people. There really are pitch drop devotees.

‘Former students come back to the university with their children and grandchildren and look at the experiment and say it looks exactly the same.

‘I hope it continues to run after I'm gone, I think there are another 100 years left and the gaps between drops will get longer and longer.’
It's been 12 years since the last drop so the next drop could be aaaaaaany day now. It's rather funny that so far nobody ever saw the previous drops fall (they weren't there, the camera broke down,...). Murphy's Law is a bitch :)
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Re: Worlds most boring experiment

Post by LaCroix »

With one drop (about 1 second of airtime, I assume) per 300-400 million seconds, it is quite probable that noone will ever see one.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Korto
Jedi Master

Post by Korto »

They've got this experiment running in Newcastle Uni. Least they did 20 years ago. I remember seeing it.
The last time it happened I was in London and I got an email saying it was getting close, but I wasn't worried because we had a camera on it.

‘Then I got an email to say it had happened, which was followed by another email to say the camera had not worked. Hopefully the technology is better now.
I dare say it is, but you know what's even less likely to screw up? Two fucking cameras, with as much mechanism separate as is practically possible. Like one camera running on a constantly charged (because it's plugged in to the wall) long-life battery.
“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”
Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

That might require budget. Somehow I doubt anyone has actually bothered to fund this experiment in a looooooong time.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Jaepheth
Jedi Master

Post by Jaepheth »

So...
When will they be able to say whether it is or isn't liquid at the average room temperature and pressure it has been stored at?
Children of the Ancients
I'm sorry, but the number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate the phone by 90 degrees and try again.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Already proven- just a very, very viscous liquid.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Simon_Jester wrote:That might require budget. Somehow I doubt anyone has actually bothered to fund this experiment in a looooooong time.
You mean like, 20 bucks for a camera?
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Yes.

Also, you really want a digital camera you can turn on and just store arbitrary amounts of footage from, because there's no way to predict how long it will take for a drop to fall to an accuracy of less than weeks. Those were not QUITE so cheap in the '90s when the last drop fell.
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

So... if they already know that pitch is a liquid, why bother continuing the experiment?
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Seven droplets is still a pretty small data-set, especially since all but one of those drops fell before the advent of modern computer techniques. If we DO want to learn anything about the flow rate of pitch, we're going to need at least some limited experimental data, and a new experiment would take years to set up, so having one running already would help.

Plus, this has got to be the cheapest lab experiment in history, because you can literally stick it in a closet for six months at a time and come back and check on it later.
PKRudeBoy
Padawan Learner

Post by PKRudeBoy »

If by 6 months you mean almost a decade, since the average is around 9 years and the last drop was in 2000.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Uh, no. See, the process of each drop forming is continuous, so if you want information on what the pitch is doing, you do want to check and precisely measure the bottom of the funnel-full-of-pitch regularly, say every six months.

The experiment isn't just about measuring when the drops fall, or at least doesn't have to be. It's also about how fast the surface changes shape, what kind of droplets you get in such an insanely viscous fluid, and so on.
chitoryu12
Jedi Council Member

Post by chitoryu12 »

Esquire wrote:So... if they already know that pitch is a liquid, why bother continuing the experiment?
To see what happens.
cadbrowser
Padawan Learner

Post by cadbrowser »

What if they set up a camera that recorded the viscosity (SP) in a stop motion animation type style? Say one click for every 24 hours (86,400 seconds) or so? That'd be between 2500 +/- frames (roughly) between drips I guess. Dang, that'd still be a lot of images.

That'd be sorta cool I'd think.
Financing and Managing a webcomic called Geeks & Goblins.

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy
"Cheerleaders are dancers who have gone retarded." - Sparky Polastri
"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum." - Frank Nada
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

That is a very good idea, which would probably have been implemented had anyone been willing to spring for such a camera. :D
Xess
Jedi Knight

Post by Xess »

Simon_Jester wrote:That is a very good idea, which would probably have been implemented had anyone been willing to spring for such a camera. :D
You can see a timelapse video of drop formation and a live feed here.
Image[
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

chitoryu12 wrote:
Esquire wrote:So... if they already know that pitch is a liquid, why bother continuing the experiment?
To see what happens.
That's justification enough, really. 'Why bother?' 'Well, why not? It's not like it's taking up time and money, so we may as well let it keep going.'

Also, there's the principle of the thing. By god, sooner or later we WILL see that droplet fall!
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

The time lapse on that site is pretty neat. It's quite clearly a liquid, if you keep a time-lapse video going over an entire year...
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Haminal10
Padawan Learner

Post by Haminal10 »

"If brute force is not solving your problems, you are obviously not using enough"
-Common Imperial Guard saying

"Scripture also says 'Render unto Caesar what Caesar demands.' And right now, Caesar demands a building permit,"
-County Commisioner Mike Whitehead to Dr. Dino
AMX
Jedi Knight

Post by AMX »

Haminal10 wrote:Drip finally dropped
In Dublin.
Queensland got scooped.
Nitrophage
Redshirt

Post by Nitrophage »

Irish media made a pretty big fuss about this. Seemed a bit sad really, but hey, we need something to be proud of in this recession.
Basically you have three states of legality in Ireland. First you have all this stuff here which is "That's grand", then you get into this stuff which is "Ah now, don't push it'" and finally you get to "Right, you're taking the piss"

-Dara O' Briain