Good dietary supplements?

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

cosmicalstorm
Jedi Council Member

Good dietary supplements?

Post by cosmicalstorm »

I was inspired by the other thread about vitamin-supplements, but I want to keep it more general than only vitamins. I find it incredibly difficult to figure out what dietary supplements are actually good; in essence, worth the cost, have some pretty proven positive effects and preferably few proven side-effects.

What kind of dietary supplements do you use and what evidence have you found for them?
I wont make a complete list of everything health related that I do, to keep it short I eat lots of fruits and vegetables and I work out almost every day.

The main supplements I use:

3-5 grams Omega-3 capsules/day. (No explanation needed, but still I'm not sure about its efficiency)

I try to include a lot (5-15g/day) of curcumin; I ingest it in the form of the raw tumeric root, sometimes I cook the root. Other times I use the Curcumin spice powder. This is mixed with 5g of Curry powder, 5g of pepper, some oil and ginger to improve absorption. The reserach for Curcumin seems to be very solid.
Curcumin and Other Polyphenolic Compounds in Head and Neck Cancer Chemoprevention
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3368521/

The other major supplement in my diet is Green tea, I'll drink at least one liter every day, sometimes two or three.
http://toxsci.oxfordjournals.org/conten ... 1.full.pdf
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23008118

I believe that having these items in my diet will lessen the chance of cancer, cardiac/pulmonary issues and neuro-degenerative disease in the future. But I'm far from certain, the science on these subjects is enormously confusing.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Re: Good dietary supplements?

Post by Mr Bean »

Let me ask you this, have you asked any nutritionists what they take? Most people who's job it is to put together heath and wellness plans for others simply eat a balanced diet and leave it at that. I've met a few who take a multivitamin to top things off. Unless their diet lacks something specific or you have a specific condition that you can befit from (IE Fish liver oil supplements for arthritis) then there is little point.

Eating a well balanced diet covers your needs as it is.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

main supplements I use:

Black coffee to wake up, root ginger tea for sore throats, cinnamon bark tea when it's cold, murphy's irish stout when I'm craving iron, whiskey to relax, vietnamese green tea when I need something stronger then tea but milder then espresso.

porridge in the morning stabilizes my mood for the day, meditation at night to calm the brain.

and vegetables and fruit. lots of them.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

I'm not sure if whiskey technically counts as a dietary supplement.
ryacko
Padawan Learner

Post by ryacko »

Doesn't Kurzweil take a hundred supplements?
Personally, I think exercise and eating whatever five fruits or vegetables you feel like eating would do it.
Suffering from the diminishing marginal utility of wealth.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Ziggy Stardust wrote:I'm not sure if whiskey technically counts as a dietary supplement.
why not?
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

As mentioned in a prior thread, from November to February I take a low-dose D3 and a vitamin C supplement. Other than that, I try to eat as balanced a diet as possible with emphasis on fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. Some people might regard the tea I drink as a supplement, but it's just my usual beverage I've been drinking for 40+ years.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice