Get your fill of sci-fi, science, and mockery of stupid people
* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
Want to support this site? Click

Quote of the Week: "In the United States, the majority undertakes to supply a multitude of ready-made opinions for the use of individuals, who are thus relieved from the necessity of forming opinions of their own." - Alexis de Tocqueville, French writer (1805-1859)


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: BBC afraid of aliens PostPosted: 2012-11-08 09:03pm
Offline
The Doctor
User avatar

Joined: 2004-12-12 11:55pm
Posts: 7681
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia
http://www.news.com.au/technology/sci-t ... 6513393625

Quote:
Talking to aliens 'an OH&S risk', BBC TV presenter told

WHAT if aliens really do exist?
The thought is too much for BBC bosses to handle.
The media behemoth shut down a TV presenter's plan to point a radio telescope at a newly-discovered planet out of fear that aliens might answer back.
Professor Brian Cox said the BBC was concerned the experiment, to be staged live on air during his show Stargazing Life, broke the corporation's health and safety rules.
"We decided that we'd point the Jodrell Bank telescope at the planet (Threapleton Holmes B) that had been discovered by these two viewers (in January) and listen because no one had ever pointed a radio telescope at it and you never know," Mr Cox said on BBC radio.
"The BBC actually said, 'But you can't do that because we need to go through the regulations and health and safety and everything in case we discover a signal from an alien civilisation'."
"(I said), 'You mean we would discover the first hint that there is other intelligent life in the universe beyond Earth, live on air, and you're worried about the health and safety of it?'
"It was incredible. They did have guidelines. Compliance."


Don't worry BBC. Just get Matt Smith on standby. :D



Best scene ever.

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: BBC afraid of aliens PostPosted: 2012-11-08 10:19pm
Offline
Padawan Learner
User avatar

Joined: 2007-10-30 05:48pm
Posts: 285
Location: Εν ενί γαλαξία μένω, ον συ ου δύνασαι ευρείν χωρίς διαστημικού οχήματος.
It seems like a silly worry by and large, but in hindsight one never knows what the repercussions may be if they actually got a genuine response. I don't think in earnest that it lies in our best interests at the present time that we make contact with extraterrestrials. We haven't yet learned how to deal with one another for pity's sake, let alone a (possibly) more advanced intelligent species. The many changes which could ensue could take us in a wholly negative path rather than fowards. I know that many would love it if we woke up tomorrow and found out that we have space brethren somewhere out there, but there is an appropriate time for everything and this happens not to be the time IMHO. Just my very low 0.02¢.

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: BBC afraid of aliens PostPosted: 2012-11-09 03:43am
Offline
Emperor's Hand
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-18 06:08pm
Posts: 13225
Location: Poland
Dude, what? The damn planet orbits a star at least 600 LY away ; By the time we get any response that could be called a contact (if it happens at all!), we'll be living 1200 years in the goddamned future.



Image
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: BBC afraid of aliens PostPosted: 2012-11-09 06:22am
Online
Sith Marauder
User avatar

Joined: 2010-06-21 11:05am
Posts: 3576
Location: In Transit
You know, I can see an argument for not wanting to drop a bombshell like that in the middle of a live broadcast, especially not a live broadcast where Jonathan Woss is playing a key role!



There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)


IReplace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin


My tea cosy has a mohawk. Your argument is invalid.

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: BBC afraid of aliens PostPosted: 2012-11-09 08:28am
Offline
Padawan Learner
User avatar

Joined: 2007-10-30 05:48pm
Posts: 285
Location: Εν ενί γαλαξία μένω, ον συ ου δύνασαι ευρείν χωρίς διαστημικού οχήματος.
PeZook wrote:
Dude, what? The damn planet orbits a star at least 600 LY away ; By the time we get any response that could be called a contact (if it happens at all!), we'll be living 1200 years in the goddamned future.


Man, I would have thought that they would have targeted something much closer than that, like say fifty lightyears or so. It sounds like a big waste of time in that case.

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: BBC afraid of aliens PostPosted: 2012-11-09 09:33am
Offline
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-06 12:15am
Posts: 5439
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!
PeZook wrote:
Dude, what? The damn planet orbits a star at least 600 LY away ; By the time we get any response that could be called a contact (if it happens at all!), we'll be living 1200 years in the goddamned future.
We don't need to wait 1200 years if we're only going to listen to what's already 'transmitted'.



Image

If I was to worship God, it would be my lord, Baal.
P-38 Fanboy

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: BBC afraid of aliens PostPosted: 2012-11-09 11:08am
Offline
Emperor's Hand
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-18 06:08pm
Posts: 13225
Location: Poland
That's not contact. That's voyeurism.



Image
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: BBC afraid of aliens PostPosted: 2012-11-09 11:23am
Offline
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-06 12:15am
Posts: 5439
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!
PeZook wrote:
That's not contact. That's voyeurism.
And the difference if we get artificial signals is? The point is, it will be a historic day when we have confirmation that life is out there. Not just that we can contact them.

Quote:
"The BBC actually said, 'But you can't do that because we need to go through the regulations and health and safety and everything in case we discover a signal from an alien civilisation'."
"(I said), 'You mean we would discover the first hint that there is other intelligent life in the universe beyond Earth, live on air, and you're worried about the health and safety of it?'



Image

If I was to worship God, it would be my lord, Baal.
P-38 Fanboy

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: BBC afraid of aliens PostPosted: 2012-11-09 11:52am
Offline
Emperor's Hand
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-18 06:08pm
Posts: 13225
Location: Poland
But for it to cause upheaval, panic, interstellar war or whatever we'd need actual contact to happen :D



Image
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: BBC afraid of aliens PostPosted: 2012-11-09 12:09pm
Offline
Padawan Learner
User avatar

Joined: 2007-10-30 05:48pm
Posts: 285
Location: Εν ενί γαλαξία μένω, ον συ ου δύνασαι ευρείν χωρίς διαστημικού οχήματος.
Considering the level of stupidity of which most humans seem to be possessed, I reckon that just the knowledge alone might upset some social systems. Heck, just think of how the stock markets would react taking into account their fragility to just about...everything. Religion, politics--namely everything--would likely be changed in some way.

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: BBC afraid of aliens PostPosted: 2012-11-09 12:13pm
Offline
Emperor's Hand
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-18 06:08pm
Posts: 13225
Location: Poland
Dunno, it's one of those things that aren't easy to predict, but at worst I think the upheaval would be short-lived. As I said to someone else, both everything would change and...nothing at all, because the aliens live so far away that you'd be having conversations over dozens of centuries.



Image
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: BBC afraid of aliens PostPosted: 2012-11-09 09:45pm
Offline
The Doctor
User avatar

Joined: 2004-12-12 11:55pm
Posts: 7681
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia
PeZook wrote:
Dunno, it's one of those things that aren't easy to predict, but at worst I think the upheaval would be short-lived. As I said to someone else, both everything would change and...nothing at all, because the aliens live so far away that you'd be having conversations over dozens of centuries.

Interesting fact - Orson Welles did a broadcast of the war of the worlds on radio back in the day. Tuning in the radio people heard him saying "The Martians have landed" or something along those lines. This became one of the biggest "hoaxes" in history as people did believe it was fact and not fiction leading to panic. So who knows what will happen. It could very well cause panic.



Best scene ever.

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: BBC afraid of aliens PostPosted: 2012-11-09 09:47pm
Offline
CUNTS FOR EYES!
User avatar

Joined: 2005-06-09 09:56pm
Posts: 8684
Location: The Great, Green Pacific Northwest! It's Raining...
mr friendly guy wrote:
PeZook wrote:
Dunno, it's one of those things that aren't easy to predict, but at worst I think the upheaval would be short-lived. As I said to someone else, both everything would change and...nothing at all, because the aliens live so far away that you'd be having conversations over dozens of centuries.

Interesting fact - Orson Welles did a broadcast of the war of the worlds on radio back in the day. Tuning in the radio people heard him saying "The Martians have landed" or something along those lines. This became one of the biggest "hoaxes" in history as people did believe it was fact and not fiction leading to panic. So who knows what will happen. It could very well cause panic.

It's pretty well known and only total morons who don't understand the words "This is a work of fiction" being broadcast every 5 minutes bought into it.



Image
The Liberal Hate Machine
Kill them all!
-The Governor

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: BBC afraid of aliens PostPosted: 2012-11-10 03:24am
Offline
Emperor's Hand
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-18 06:08pm
Posts: 13225
Location: Poland
Plus, these morons heard the Martians were invading, which is a far cry from "Scientists have picked up signals that may or may not be artificial, coming from a star 600 light years away"



Image
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: BBC afraid of aliens PostPosted: 2012-11-10 01:48pm
Offline
Padawan Learner
User avatar

Joined: 2007-10-30 05:48pm
Posts: 285
Location: Εν ενί γαλαξία μένω, ον συ ου δύνασαι ευρείν χωρίς διαστημικού οχήματος.
If this system were inhabited and lies 600 lightyears away from us, we will all be dead long before the return signal ever reaches Earth. Because of the scale of time involved here, it makes it impractical to establish and maintain neighborly relations between two interstellar civilizations. This raises the question of what the point is of ever hoping to do so besides the sheer knowledge that we are not alone in the universe. Unless we develop a way of feasible superluminal communication and transportation, I think that SETI and everyone else trying to make contact with aliens is just wasting his/her time and energy on an exercise in infutility. Obviously our current understanding of physics hasn't given us any way of doing such things--YET--but that may change hinging upon future discoveries.

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: BBC afraid of aliens PostPosted: 2012-11-10 03:21pm
Offline
Jedi Council Member
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-26 08:08am
Posts: 1909
Location: Bochum, Germany
Where does it say that they want to send a signal to that star/planet? All I can see is that they wanted to listen for radio signals originating from there.

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: BBC afraid of aliens PostPosted: 2012-11-10 07:02pm
Offline
Emperor's Hand
User avatar

Joined: 2002-07-18 06:08pm
Posts: 13225
Location: Poland
Boeing 757 wrote:
If this system were inhabited and lies 600 lightyears away from us, we will all be dead long before the return signal ever reaches Earth. Because of the scale of time involved here, it makes it impractical to establish and maintain neighborly relations between two interstellar civilizations. This raises the question of what the point is of ever hoping to do so besides the sheer knowledge that we are not alone in the universe. Unless we develop a way of feasible superluminal communication and transportation, I think that SETI and everyone else trying to make contact with aliens is just wasting his/her time and energy on an exercise in infutility. Obviously our current understanding of physics hasn't given us any way of doing such things--YET--but that may change hinging upon future discoveries.


You're assuming aliens have nothing worthwhile to tell us, even if the "contact" will only be one way and the civilization which sent the signals is long dead by the time it reaches us.



Image
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject: Re: BBC afraid of aliens PostPosted: 2012-11-13 07:11am
Offline
Sith Acolyte
User avatar

Joined: 2003-07-24 04:32pm
Posts: 5486
Location: United Kingdom
I think it should be pointed out, this whole story is a load of rubbish.

They did this, live, last year, on the same show.



Image
Member of the Unremarkables
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
Evil Brit Conspiracy - Insignificant guy

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Luke Skywalker and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group