CDC NISVS 2010 Survey Results - Reasons?

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Cycloneman
Padawan Learner

CDC NISVS 2010 Survey Results - Reasons?

Post by Cycloneman »

This has been bothering me for a good long while, and I figured somebody here might know the answer. I don't know if this should go here or in ARSE, so I'll put it here and a mod can move it. The CDC NISVS 2010 survey found the following data:

- Over their entire lifetimes, 18.3% of women had been raped, versus 4.8% of men had been "made to penetrate".
- In the past 12 months, approximately 1.1% of men had been "made to penetrate", versus 1.1% of women who had been raped.

Now, obviously this is a pretty huge difference in ratios, and I'm having trouble attributing it to any given thing. Rising/falling rates, at least to that extent, seem unlikely. So does men being vastly more likely to be repeat victims. I'm not quite sure how to get an exact number, but given the massive sample size I believe I'm fairly safe in saying statistical noise is not responsible for this. Does anyone else know why this apparent contradiction might be?
ryacko
Padawan Learner

Re: CDC NISVS 2010 Survey Results - Reasons?

Post by ryacko »

It doesn't seem to include men who were forced to be penetrated.
Suffering from the diminishing marginal utility of wealth.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Men are more likely to be in pattern-abusive relationships involving a sexual aspect and in terms of the overall total of sexual assault/abuse encounters, whereas women are more likely to be victims of situational assault, that's the simple answer. Sorry for not making that clear--women are certainly in a greater number of pattern abusive relationships but it's much higher as a proportion of total sexual abuse/assault in men.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Hm. I think I can translate that into English-for-1000-word-vocabularies:

About one percent of women report being made to have sex in the last year. About 15-20% of women report having ever been made to have sex. That fits with all women between (roughly) the ages of 18-35 being at about the same risk: 1% chance per year, added up over 15-20 years, is a 15-20% danger.

About one percent of people of men report made to have sex in the last year. Only five percent of men report having ever been made to have sex. What this tells us (if everyone's being honest) is simple:

It's the same five percent of men being made to have sex every time, more or less. Not all groups of men are at equal risk.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Alerik the Fortunate
Jedi Knight

Post by Alerik the Fortunate »

Any idea what distinguishes that group of men?
Every day is victory.
No victory is forever.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Alerik the Fortunate wrote:Any idea what distinguishes that group of men?
Probably an arcane combination of social and childhood development factors. Abuse (and if it is the same men, more or less, it is most likely abuse) tends to happen in cycles. If the parents were abusive, when the kid grows up they are likely to either abuse or be abused. The ratios are different for men and women (men are more likely to inflict the abuse), but it exists in either direction for both sexes. And then there are abusive relationships involving gay men. There is nothing stopping the "bottom" from physically or sexually abusing the "top".
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est