HIV Vaccine - Human trials begun

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Re: HIV Vaccine - Human trials begun

Post by PeZook »

Gene therapy is always finicky though: we don't yet have a firm grasp of the dangers involved, though initial results look "cautiously optimistic".

And of course even rather severe complications might be acceptable compared to the massive humanitarian disaster that is the AIDS epidemic, although they will of course make deployment of the cure problematic - and for good reason, nobody wants to risk getting totally fucked up by the vaccine or cure, unless the sitation is seriously bad, like with polio in the US - when people would accept the possibility of complications from vaccine vs. the virtual certainty of becoming crippled by polio.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Dominarch's Hope
Village Idiot

Re: HIV Vaccine - Human trials begun

Post by Dominarch's Hope »

True to both conclusions.

I once read, a since long lost, fic about what if nobody had found a cure/treatment/life-extension for HIV. You know, all those immune boosters and such?

What happens is that, by 1998, the CDC declares it an epidemic. By 2002, everyone 12 and up is required by law to submit to a general STD screen once a month for about six months. Then the requirement becomes merely once every three-six months with the usual "Cant fire for being there, even if the employee didnt tell you" protections. Although students and such are still required to give blood samples every two months. This last until 2008. Then it get reduced to six months for everybody.

Lets just say that if you test positive for anything worse than Syphillis, you end up getting marked in first inconvenient then downright invasive ways. But that starts in 2001 and gets to the invasive stage by 2003.

Parts of Africa die horribly with South Africa ending up having a steady population drop from 2004 to the end of the story.

And homosexual rights get set back about 40 years.

Its a pretty dark tale. Wish I could find it again.
Because, Murrica, thats why.