Liberals are actually more affluent than Conservatives

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Luke Skywalker
Padawan Learner

Liberals are actually more affluent than Conservatives

Post by Luke Skywalker »

In a peculiar paradox, the political ideology that tends to be more critical and demanding of the wealthy...is wealthier.

I'm quoting wikipedia, given that it's well formatted and combines information from several sources. The studies are linked to organizations such as the Pew Research center.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_ ... ted_States

That liberals are more educated than conservatives is hardly a surprise. I suppose it's a logical extrapolation that liberals are also more affluent. Liberals aren't very likely to be married, possibly because they are young.

Additionally, in the US most democrats don't actually consider themselves to be liberals. Indeed, Republicans on average are wealthier and more educated than Democrats, but liberals as a minority subgroup are by far the most educated in the United States.
Dr. Trainwreck
Jedi Knight

Re: Liberals are actually more affluent than Conservatives

Post by Dr. Trainwreck »

Richer states already have a head start. Also, being richer means they offer more education, job and travel prospects. Existing in a city with 5 million other blokes will also give you a more cosmopolitan attitude; I understood that when I moved from my comparatively small hometown to study in Athens.

So, I think it goes: trade and frequent contact-->wealth-->more money for everything, including education-->more educated individuals-->more smart people who can do a job properly-->more wealth-->more trade. Repeat ad infinitum, or at least until external circumstances break the cycle (war, natural disaster, discovery of new trade routes). Most liberals live on the coasts, in cities that are and were trade routes (correct me if I'm wrong, because I am not certain).
Ποταμοῖσι τοῖσιν αὐτοῖσιν ἐμϐαίνουσιν, ἕτερα καὶ ἕτερα ὕδατα ἐπιρρεῖ. Δὶς ἐς τὸν αὐτὸν ποταμὸν οὐκ ἂν ἐμβαίης.

The seller was a Filipino called Dr. Wilson Lim, a self-declared friend of the M.I.L.F. -Grumman