Watch Curiosity Land on Mars live

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Watch Curiosity Land on Mars live

Post by FaxModem1 »

http://www.ustream.tv/nasajpl

Watch the NASA Mars laboratory land on Mars.
Dr Roberts
Padawan Learner

Re: Watch Curiosity Land on Mars live

Post by Dr Roberts »

Im watching it via the Nasa Tv app. I'm one of a small group of people who are up at 5;20 am to see it.
Have Computer/Virus/Malware etc. problems or questions feel free to PM me.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

I'm watching it too. Have to stay up until 1:30AM to see all of it though.
Dr Roberts
Padawan Learner

Post by Dr Roberts »

Imperial528 wrote:I'm watching it too. Have to stay up until 1:30AM to see all of it though.
Lucky. I've been following the coverage since 4:00 am.
Darth Ruinus
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Ruinus »

Me and my little brother are watching it through Xbox LIVE.
"I don't believe in man made global warming because God promised to never again destroy the earth with water. He sent the rainbow as a sign."
- Sean Hannity Forums user Avi

"And BTW the concept of carbon based life is only a hypothesis based on the abiogensis theory, and there is no clear evidence for it."
-Mazen707 informing me about the facts on carbon-based life.
Dr Roberts
Padawan Learner

Post by Dr Roberts »

When people get excited over something like this, it really puts some of my confidence back in to Humanity.
Dr Roberts
Padawan Learner

Post by Dr Roberts »

Eyes.nasa.gov

A simulation that allows you to "Follow" the Spacecraft and even "Preview" all the way to Touchdown.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Seven Minutes of Terror have begun.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Darth Ruinus
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Ruinus »

Yeaaaaaah!
"I don't believe in man made global warming because God promised to never again destroy the earth with water. He sent the rainbow as a sign."
- Sean Hannity Forums user Avi

"And BTW the concept of carbon based life is only a hypothesis based on the abiogensis theory, and there is no clear evidence for it."
-Mazen707 informing me about the facts on carbon-based life.
Dr Roberts
Padawan Learner

Post by Dr Roberts »

SCIENCE, FUCK YEAH!

Images of the wheel through.
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

Done! Listening to the live feed it seems like they haven't gotten any system flags indicating damage. Imagine being a martian fly on the wall for that scene!
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Hawkwings wrote:Imagine being a martian fly on the wall for that scene!
And if there are any Martian flies, we're in a position to find them now!

Best quote from Twitter: "A jet-fired hover crane just lowered a nuclear robot bigger than my car onto Mars. Then it emailed us pics, from the other side of the sun."
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

A mission completing a flight of nine months, 350 million miles, landing intact on time and on target, and sending pictures within two minutes of touchdown. Not bad for a public investment of $2.5 billion.

And now begins two years (and possibly longer) intensive scientific study of the Martian environment.

FUCK YEAH!
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

It was about 250 meters off-target. To borrow Feynman, that's like measuring the distance from New York to Los Angeles within 1 mm -- or in this case, shooting a golf ball from New York to Los Angeles and predicting its landing spot to within 1 mm.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

I got up at 6am this morning to watch this happen, this image sums up my feelings right now

Member of the Unremarkables
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
Evil Brit Conspiracy - Insignificant guy
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Taken by the HiRISE camera in Martian orbit. Curiosity in descent.

How's THAT for mission coverage!
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

Well. We've now accomplished the dream of the 50's. we have landed a nuclear powered, laser-equipped robot on Mars. For all mankind.

Despite that, its Twitter feed seems to indicate that it's merely very enthusiastic about its mission.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

When I heard the news on my way to work I couldn't help but fist pump while at a stop light. Nice to See NASA doesn't just still have it, but can make the utterly complicated look easy.
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

And the first color picture from Curiosity:

If i am not mistaken, that's the first ever real-color (instead of falce-color or recolored black/white) picture from the surface of Mars. Just wow.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

Serafina wrote:And the first color picture from Curiosity:

If i am not mistaken, that's the first ever real-color (instead of falce-color or recolored black/white) picture from the surface of Mars. Just wow.
The answer, actually is "it's the first image from the surface of Mars taken with a consumer-type digital camera." Which is to say it's got millions of microscopic red, blue, and green filters on the CCD element arranged in a Bayer pattern. The other cameras that have flown to the surface of Mars are all detectors sitting behind a filter wheel. You take one picture through one filter, rotate the wheel, take the next picture, and so on. It's the same principle, only in serial, rather than in parallel.

Other color pictures on the surface of Mars are said to be "approximate true color," because the filters that are on the filter wheel were chosen for scientific, rather than aesthetic, utility. If you compare the MAHLI image to images taken by Viking, Pathfinder, MER-A, MER-B, and Phoenix, you can see that they're all pretty close to each other in terms of perceived color.
Skgoa
Jedi Master

Post by Skgoa »

http://www.politicalcompass.org/test
Economic Left/Right: -7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.74

This is pre-WWII. You can sort of tell from the sketch style, from thee way it refers to Japan (Japan in the 1950s was still rebuilding from WWII), the spelling of Tokyo, lots of details. Nothing obvious... except that the upper right hand corner of the page reads "November 1931." --- Simon_Jester
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

High res 360 degree view available

Sunny day on Mars
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Fantastic stuff, the images coming out have been really amazing.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Colonel Olrik
The Spaminator

Post by Colonel Olrik »

wautd wrote:High res 360 degree view available

Sunny day on Mars
The Sun has me mesmerised. I keep going back to this image. And have you tried to access It with an iPad and gyroscope turned on? It's amazing.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

It may be because of the rover's height, or the details of the terrain. But one thing I get from the panorama is the sense of Mars having a very short horizon- very close to the viewer. Which it would have, naturally, but it's interesting to see a picture that conveys that.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov