China to sent astronauts to Tiangong 1 Space Lab

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Seggybop
Jedi Council Member

Re: China to sent astronauts to Tiangong 1 Space Lab

Post by Seggybop »

Unfortunately, it's straight up illegal for NASA to cooperate with China right now. Here's the actual section of law:
Department of Defense and Full-Year Continuing Appropriations Act, 2011 wrote:SEC. 1340. (a) None of the funds made available by this division
may be used for the National Aeronautics and Space Administration
or the Office of Science and Technology Policy to develop, design,
plan, promulgate, implement, or execute a bilateral policy, program,
order, or contract of any kind to participate, collaborate, or coordi-
nate bilaterally in any way with China or any Chinese-owned
company unless such activities are specifically authorized by a
law enacted after the date of enactment of this division.
China was technically capable of contribution at the inception of the project (moreso than many of the participants) but the US was (is) afraid they'd just take it as an opportunity to steal all of the technology they were exposed to. May or may not be a valid fear. The Europeans and Russians do not share these concerns.
my heart is a shell of depleted uranium
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

PeZook wrote:100 billion per year on space would get us colonies on the Moon and Mars, manned missions to Venus, asteroid mining and more within a couple decades. It could pay for another Apollo in one year, for fuck's sake :D

And that's what...1/6000th of world GDP?

Space exploration is actually pretty cheap already.
That's an oddly small figure. I think you are grossly underestimating the challenges of space travel.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

No, I'm not. Apollo cost only 120 billion in total, and delivered six 15 tonne vehicles to lunar surface. The ISS cost 100 billion, and about the same for the entire Shuttle program. So...at 100 billion per year we have the principal manned programs of the last five decades paid for in four-five years. Building up a lunar colony over a decade or so would be trivial at that level of funding, even without exponentially increasing in-situ resource utilization reducing dependence on materials shipped from Earth. There's technical challenges to be solved, obstacles to overcome etc - but remember, we're talking about decades here.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
someone_else
Jedi Knight

Post by someone_else »

if you re-route some spare change from that (way less than a billion) to develop serious propellant depots you can send 20 tons to moon orbit (not surface) with what, two Proton launches? That's 200 millions total. It can be done in a few years.

There are already designs of reusable moon landers based off stuff there is already. And others are developing the same idea. (for those wondering, this is a way to use cryogenic fuels, with massive performance incerase over LEM, without placing the crew/cargo at 6+ meters from lunar surface, since like the losy hydrogen density would require pretty damn big tanks)

With a moon elevator (doable with modern materials) you can avoid having landers (significantly less wasted fuel), and with water on the moon you can start manufacturing rocket fuel and make any trip beyond LEO cheap.
I'm nobody. Nobody at all. But the secrets of the universe don't mind. They reveal themselves to nobodies who care.
--
Stereotypical spacecraft are pressurized.
Less realistic spacecraft are pressurized to hold breathing atmosphere.
Realistic spacecraft are pressurized because they are flying propellant tanks. -Isaac Kuo

--
Good art has function as well as form. I hesitate to spend more than $50 on decorations of any kind unless they can be used to pummel an intruder into submission. -Sriad