I just witnessed a meteorite detonation

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

I just witnessed a meteorite detonation

Post by LaCroix »

Hy guys,

from what I could see while driving, at about 20:25 local time, a meteorite detonated in the sky.

It was over middle to eastern Hungary or southern Slowakia (It was north-easterly from Köseg, the line before it detonated was straingt vertical, so it was somewhere in the line Köseg-Györ and beyond)

It was a nice display, a faint line at first, which grew into a bright white streak in the night sky and then flashed in a white point about as bright as a car headlight at half a mile.) I estimate it was visible for about 5 seconds, and very impressive - even my blind as a bat wife couldn't miss it.

Is there any way to look it up?
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Re: I just witnessed a meteorite detonation

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

You lucky bastard. I've been hoping to see one of these for years, and I managed to totally miss the really big one over Britain a while back.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

LaCroix wrote:Hy guys,

from what I could see while driving, at about 20:25 local time, a meteorite detonated in the sky.

It was over middle to eastern Hungary or southern Slowakia (It was north-easterly from Köseg, the line before it detonated was straingt vertical, so it was somewhere in the line Köseg-Györ and beyond)

It was a nice display, a faint line at first, which grew into a bright white streak in the night sky and then flashed in a white point about as bright as a car headlight at half a mile.) I estimate it was visible for about 5 seconds, and very impressive - even my blind as a bat wife couldn't miss it.

Is there any way to look it up?
I don't know of any European registry, but I would try and call the largest national university near where you were and try to talk to someone in their astronomy department, they'd at least know who tracks meteorites in that area.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
SpaceMarine93
Jedi Knight

Post by SpaceMarine93 »

Go back to the place where the meteorite exploded. You do realize how much money you can get from selling even a single gram of meteorite rock?

Who knows, maybe there's evil alien spores locked inside them ready to jump out and possess people, like in the movies :lol:
Life sucks and is probably meaningless, but that doesn't mean there's no reason to be good.

--- The Anti-Nihilist view in short.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

[blinks]

...It exploded at an altitude of many miles. Any fragments have been scattered far and wide.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Also, it probably detonated hundreds of miles away. And Hungary explicitly claims all meteorites found for the state.
And with my luck lately, I'm just glad it didn't flatten my home. Also, I'd rather not touch it - mostly because I don't know if that particular one is radioactive or not.
You do realize how much money you can get from selling even a single gram of meteorite rock?
About 1€ up to 1.5€ for 50 gram pieces?
Seriously, if I decide not to put it next to the fossil I found in the garden, I'd make a knife out of it... 8)
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

LaCroix wrote:Hungary explicitly claims all meteorites found for the state.
That sucks.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
cadbrowser
Padawan Learner

Post by cadbrowser »

Now that's just freaking awesome...I don't care who you are! So lucky!

I have witnessed a few "falling stars" here in the great Midwest in the US. I would say probably 3 or 4 in my lifetime.

Too bad Hungary is that stingy with their meteorites. :(
Financing and Managing a webcomic called Geeks & Goblins.

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy
"Cheerleaders are dancers who have gone retarded." - Sparky Polastri
"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum." - Frank Nada
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

I saw one myself a few months back. It took me a second to realize what it was, because I had never even seen a meteor in the sky until I went to college (where I saw several every day), and concluded there was too much light pollution in the city to see them.

Then one night, while standing outside my door for no good reason, I see a sudden streak of light and *boom*.
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Well, I live quite rural (to the point I have almost no light pollution - you'd be amazed just how many stars there are - most people are confused when they realize that you can see the milky way perfectly with bare eyes from my yard), and when ever there is a meteor shower, there is no way I don't see at least a couple of them (Perseids are my favourite - great show...). But this was the first detonation...