Less-humane handling of hostage situations

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Re: Less-humane handling of hostage situations

Post by PeZook »

Sea Skimmer wrote: OF COURSE it was planned as massacre. That isn't in doubt, it still doesn't make the Russian handling even slightly competent. Remember that some of the Chechens got away from that siege, and others were caught and killed only by armed Russian civilians.
True. One would think that if you throw away concern for hostages, it should be trivial to just surround the place with hundreds of troops and shoot everyone inside a structure...
Sea Skimmer wrote: According to some Russian doctors all but one of the hostages killed died from the gas. The only Chechens to able to fight back were in a backroom away from all but IIRC one hostage who was showing them the video the theaters cameras had taken of the initial seizure. They were killed rather quickly. All the rest were simply executed out of hand. It was not any major pitched battle that took place. Some of the hostages were done for from the initial gassing and that’s more or less acceptable given how hopeless a storming was without gas, but to then remove the rest, place them sitting upright and unconscious on buses, which took hours to load in some cases before heading to the hospital, and then refusing to tell doctors what drugs they had been exposed too.. all murderous incompetence. But its Russia, the goal was to kill the terrorists.
But that's where we come back to the point about simple countermeasures to wonder weapons, don't we? Clearing the building took that long because A) It was HUGE and B) There were explosives everywhere.

And while a competent rescue effort would've vastly reduced hostage casualties, it couldn't elliminate them because of the problems inherent to the use of gas, namely controlling the dosage - some hostages would've died anyways and no amount of fully informed doctors would've saved them. And sure, it was acceptable because the alternative was a company-sized infantry battle that would've ended with the Chechens detonating the explosives and killing EVERYBODY...

Seeing as the original point was a guy wondering why knock-out gas wasn't commonly used...how does the moscow theatre argue in favor of that? The gas killed hostages. Wondering why it isn't used every time there's a hostage situation is like wondering why SWAT doesn't just throw frag grenades through the windows as standard practice.

They don't because it WILL kill hostages (less than frag grenades, but still). Which is acceptable when there's a platoon of guerillas holding 800 people, not when it's five guys holding ten or twenty people.
Simon_Jester wrote:When did hostage taking actually work, anyway? Was there a period back in the '60s or '70s where it was at least occasionally effective?
It's still common. In fact getting more common, both with guerillas and organized criminal groups, except now you kidnap people and hold them in remote places (like a mountainous jungle) while negotiating, because that pretty much elliminates the headache of figuring out how to get away from hundreds of angry cops surrounding you :P
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Korto
Jedi Master

Post by Korto »

If we're talking simple countermeasures to high-tech weapons, I would wonder how sewing a layer of tinfoil in-between the inner and outer lining of a light jacket would protect against the "wireless taser" thingy. Might (but I'm speculating) even give protection against a wired taser, by giving an easier conductive pathway.
“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”
Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor
Count Chocula
Jedi Council Member
Location: You've asked me for my sacrifice, and I am winter born

Post by Count Chocula »

Wear a leather biker's jacket and a Taser dart won't fuck you up. A tinfoil layer in a light jacket that's not grounded will do fuck-all to stop a Taser. So I've heard. Sorry for the OT digression.
The only people who were safe were the legion; after one of their AT-ATs got painted dayglo pink with scarlet go faster stripes, they identified the perpetrators and exacted revenge. - Eleventh Century Remnant

Lord Monckton is my heeerrooo

"Yeah, well, fuck them. I never said I liked the Moros." - Shroom Man 777
HMS Conqueror
Crybaby

Post by HMS Conqueror »

Typical stance in developed countries seems to be to starve out the hostage-takers. If they actually hurt the hostages, then the police will assault the building before more die.

That is unless you're in US and have a shotgun that's half an inch too short, in which case they might just set fire to your house even if there are no hostages.

I'm not sure I'd say immediately assaulting the building is "grossly immoral"; it's a policy that has some bad points, like serious risk of hostages being killed either accidentally or when the hostage takers realise what's happening, but also some good points, like potentially averting the hostage takers killing hostages to escalate the pressure, or deterring future hostage takers. It would be grossly immoral to pump the whole building with sarin or something, but they only do that sort of thing in Russia.
HMS Conqueror
Crybaby

Post by HMS Conqueror »

-doublepost-