New Navy Railgun Test

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Zor
Sith Acolyte

New Navy Railgun Test

Post by Zor »

Wired article on it

Einy is going to have a non man related organism.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Re: New Navy Railgun Test

Post by LaCroix »

He's not alone in that... :D

That's a really weird shape for the projectile. I get the square profile of the head, but I wonder about the "lashes" at the rear end. Looks a bit like a cylinder pulled from an engine.

I also wonder why they hadn't made it more aerodynamic - it was wagging its tail like my dog on this flight. A simple cone in front of the square head-section would have done wonders.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Omeganian
Jedi Knight

Post by Omeganian »

Well, one of the news articles stated the shape was so that the projectile won't fly too far.
Q: How are children made in the TNG era Federation?

A: With power couplings. To explain, you shut down the power to the lights, and then, in the darkness, you have the usual TOS era coupling.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

LaCroix wrote:He's not alone in that... :D

That's a really weird shape for the projectile. I get the square profile of the head, but I wonder about the "lashes" at the rear end. Looks a bit like a cylinder pulled from an engine.
That’s the armature. The head is flat so it wont go far nor burrow deeply into the ground so it'd be impossible to recover without digging a massive hole. If it was an actual warshot the armature would typically be designed to detach. I'm sure release of this video has nothing to do with recent budget fights over the program!
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

Since there's no chemical propellant, I wonder what the ball of orange flame is from, near the start of the video. Target material vaporizing and igniting after having been struck by the projectile?
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
Darmalus
Jedi Master

Post by Darmalus »

The Navy released video of the first tests, viewable above, on Tuesday. The dramatic mini-inferno in the wake of the slug fired from the railgun is the result of “1 million amps flowing through” the gun, said test chief Tom Boucher, the hypersonic speed of the shot, and the actual aluminum of the bullet — “reactive in the atmosphere” — burning off.
Burning aluminum indeed. That is a lot of energy.
cadbrowser
Padawan Learner

Post by cadbrowser »

I want one!
Financing and Managing a webcomic called Geeks & Goblins.

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy
"Cheerleaders are dancers who have gone retarded." - Sparky Polastri
"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum." - Frank Nada