My God, it's full of st... planets!

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

wautd
Emperor's Hand

My God, it's full of st... planets!

Post by wautd »

Link
The next time you look up at the night sky and find yourself marveling at the number of stars overhead, know that you are only seeing part of the magnificent bounty that our galaxy holds. Most of those Milky Way stars are not isolated orbs. Rather an average star has at least one planetary companion, invisible to the naked eye and in most cases as yet unseen by telescopes, according to a new analysis.

That extrasolar planets should be even more common than stars, which themselves seem innumerable, lends support to the hope that somewhere up in the night sky, circling one of those stars, is a world like Earth where life may have had a chance to take root, and maybe even have evolved into an intelligent form.

The analysis of planetary frequency in the Milky Way appeared in the January 12 issue of Nature. (Scientific American is part of Nature Publishing Group.) The researchers, led by astronomer Arnaud Cassan of the Paris Institute of Astrophysics at University Pierre and Marie Curie, used a small sample of planetary discoveries to infer the size of the overall planetary population. Extrapolating from a few known planets and the relatively low probability that each of those planets should be detectable from Earth, the researchers found that each star is home to an average of 1.6 planets.

The process is a bit like estimating the average number of children in a typical family by peering into a handful of random homes, counting the number of children in view, and estimating how many more are at school or otherwise out of sight. As such, the planetary demographics are still rudimentary; given the small-number of statistics, the actual average could be closer to one planet per star, or it could be well over two planets per star. But the general ubiquity of extrasolar planets, which other astronomical campaigns have also suggested in recent years, seems unassailable.

"This is not a surprise, but it's a really interesting thing to know," says astronomer Scott Gaudi of The Ohio State University, who did not contribute to the new research. Perhaps most encouraging is the finding by Cassan and his colleagues that the frequency of planets rises as the mass of those planets decreases. Large planets akin to Jupiter are relatively rare, midsize planets such as Neptune are present around roughly 50 percent of stars, and small planets just five to 10 times the mass of Earth are even more numerous than that. "Planets are common, and low-mass planets are as common as dirt in some sense," Gaudi says.

Cassan based the galactic census on a planet-finding method called gravitational microlensing. Using the Warsaw University Telescope in Chile, astronomers monitor roughly 200 million stars to look for the sudden and anomalous amplification in the light from any one of them. That brightening can be caused by another star passing in front of the background star, with the gravitational field of the intervening star acting like a lens to focus the light of the background star toward Earth. Such alignments are rare, but by monitoring so many stars for years on end, the campaign, known as the Optical Gravitational Lensing Experiment (OGLE), has recorded thousands of microlensing events.

The brightening and subsequent dimming of the background star due to microlensing does not always follow a smooth bell curve, however. In about a dozen cases identified by OGLE and by the similar Microlensing Observations in Astrophysics (MOA) experiment based at Mount John University Observatory in New Zealand, irregularities in the lensing signal point to a planet orbiting the foreground star and distorting the symmetry of the lens. The duration of a deviation from the bell curve indicates the suspected planet's mass.

Microlensing has its downside—the planetary signals are ephemeral, lasting only as long as the background star and the planet-hosting star remain in alignment (typically about a month). But it has one critical advantage over other planet-hunting techniques: it is sensitive to bodies not especially close to their parent stars. More prolific planet-search methods, including the technique employed by NASA's Kepler spacecraft, which detects periodic variations in starlight caused by orbiting planets eclipsing their stars, have the most success detecting planets that orbit very close to their host stars and hence complete an orbit very quickly.

"Microlensing can probe planets of all masses for a very large range of orbital separations," from about 0.5 times to 10 times the Earth–sun distance, Cassan says. He notes that the abundance estimates can only increase with exploration of a larger range of orbital distances and planetary masses. "Our results are given for masses between five Earths and 10 Jupiter masses," Cassan says. "If there are other planets farther or closer in, the average number of planets per star would increase accordingly."

The conclusion that smaller planets occur more often than bigger ones reinforces what Kepler has shown for planets that orbit close to their stars. The spacecraft is designed to locate worlds similar to our own—small, rocky planets at temperate, Earth-like distances from their host stars. That hunt is still underway, but early results from the mission have revealed that smallish planets—those just a bit bigger than Earth—are common in the hotter, close-in orbits to which Kepler is already sensitive.

"Kepler has already been finding that small planets are actually quite ubiquitous around stars," Gaudi says. "That bodes well for our goal of eventually finding an Earth-size planet in the habitable zone. All signs are pointing to the low-mass planets being common, so I think there's a good chance that we'll find a system like that in the coming years."
and related
Milky Way could contain billions of habitable planets like Earth, says study

Habitable planets may be in orbit around billions of stars in the Milky Way, a long-term study has suggested.
Astronomers came to the conclusion after a six-year star survey which suggests planets on which humans could live are commonplace in our galaxy.
Scientists estimate as many as 10 billion stars in the Milky Way may host planets in the habitable - or 'Goldilocks' - zone.

This is the orbital band within which conditions are not too cold and not too hot but 'just right' to allow surface liquid water and, potentially, life.
The discovery raises the possibility of a universe teeming with life, as depicted in popular sci-fi movies and TV series such as Star Wars and Star Trek.
However, scientists stress that just because a planet has conditions suitable for life it does not follow that life has evolved there.
Over the past 16 years, astronomers have made more than 700 confirmed detections of 'exoplanets' orbiting distant stars.
The vast majority have been Jupiter-like gas giants or scalding hot planets hugging close to their stars. Both offer little hope of finding life.
In those cases astronomers relied on spotting tiny 'wobbles' in the host star caused by a planet's gravitational pull, or the minute dimming of starlight as a planet crossed in front of its star.
Both techniques are not suited to finding small rocky planets like the Earth in the habitable zone.
The new survey employed a radically different method called 'gravitational microlensing'.
This involves a foreground star's gravity acting like a 'magnifying glass' to bend and amplify light from a background star.
If there is a planet orbiting the foreground star, a small extra 'bump' might be seen in the light signal.
The technique just happens to be most sensitive to planets a mid-distance away from the star - in other words, those in the 'habitable zone'.
However, very special conditions are needed to detect planets by gravitational microlensing. The background and foreground stars have to be lined up, and an additional chance alignment of the planet's orbit is also needed.

Despite these obstacles, analysis of six years' worth of microlensing data from telescopes around the world uncovered an unexpected number of exoplanets.
'In a six-year period from 2002 to 2007 we observed 500 stars at high resolution,' said Danish astronomer Dr Uffe Grae Jorgensen, head of Astrophysics and Planetary Science at the University of Copenhagen.
'In 10 of the stars we directly see the lens effect of a planet, and for the others we could use statistical arguments to determine how many planets the stars had on average.'
The results are published today in the journal Nature.
Combined with exoplanet findings using different detection methods, they suggest around 10 billion stars out of the 100 billion that fill the Milky Way have habitable zone planets.
The findings showed that planets orbiting stars were 'more the rule than the exception' and billions of them may be habitable, said Dr Jorgensen.
However it was quite another thing to jump to the conclusion that life had arisen on large numbers of these worlds as it had on Earth.
Life as we know it on Earth had developed as a result of 'many unique events', Dr Jorgensen pointed out.
But he added: 'Perhaps other coincidences in other solar systems have led to entirely different and exciting new forms of life.'
Dr Martin Dominik, who led a British team from the University of St Andrews involved in the research, said: 'We do not know yet where all the planets are, how big or small, dense or fluffy they are, or whether they are home to life or not, but our latest results tell us that while we may not see all the planets, wherever in the sky we look, they are there.'
Not really surprising (when you're dealing with billions of stars, billions of planets become a statistica certainty from what we know now), but still nice to know.

PS. I call dibs on the habitable ones.
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Re: My God, it's full of st... planets!

Post by Channel72 »

This is something that, I suppose, most astronomers (and sci-fi geeks) had always suspected, but getting actual confirmation is still nonetheless exhilarating.

Also, this confirmation eliminates one possible explanation for the Fermi paradox, which is that Earth like planets (or life-supporting planets at least) may be extremely uncommon.
Skgoa
Jedi Master

Post by Skgoa »

The Fermi paradox is only a paradox, if you don't think it through: we simply don't know much about anything out there. Postulating that we SHOULD be in contact with an alien civilization is the extraordinary claim that Fermi should explain. Not this contact's absence.
http://www.politicalcompass.org/test
Economic Left/Right: -7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.74

This is pre-WWII. You can sort of tell from the sketch style, from thee way it refers to Japan (Japan in the 1950s was still rebuilding from WWII), the spelling of Tokyo, lots of details. Nothing obvious... except that the upper right hand corner of the page reads "November 1931." --- Simon_Jester
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Wasn't the Fermi paradox not that we should be in contact, but that we should have seen some evidence of alien civilizations if they should be common?

Of course it's very possible that we get evidence all day but we just can't distinguish it from all the natural readings, or we just don't know what it is.
KhorneFlakes
Padawan Learner

Post by KhorneFlakes »

I always regarded it as being more likely that the aliens are on the same level in regards of development: haven't developed outside of their own planetary system yet.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Imperial528 wrote:Wasn't the Fermi paradox not that we should be in contact, but that we should have seen some evidence of alien civilizations if they should be common?

Of course it's very possible that we get evidence all day but we just can't distinguish it from all the natural readings, or we just don't know what it is.
Or they're deliberately hiding and observing from afar, like how wildlife scientists do business. Or maybe they're like starfleet and have a prime directive.

Anyway, nice article in the OP.
Singular Intellect
Jedi Council Member

Post by Singular Intellect »

I find it amusing and yet perplexing that people have trouble accepting the possibility that humans could very well be the first intelligent species to have reached our current level of technological development.

Objections to the notion plead things like the improbability of such an outcome (but why is another species being first more probable?) or the age of the universe and timeframes permitting life to evolve (what, there's a schedule for when life is 'supposed' to pop up?).

On the other hand, life could've exploded across the universe at a particular time, yet a single species only need a technological lead time of a couple of hundred or thousand years (insignificant timeframes on astronomical scales) to be magnitudes more advanced than all others and have the perception of being 'alone'.
"Now let us be clear, my friends. The fruits of our science that you receive and the many millions of benefits that justify them, are a gift. Be grateful. Or be silent." -Modified Quote
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

If we are really first, then Earth won the lottery at odds of one in millions, or one in billions.

Anyone with a healthy respect for probability will be considering alternatives, given that simple fact.

Me, I think they're all too busy playing World of Warcraft to bother with us.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Singular Intellect
Jedi Council Member

Post by Singular Intellect »

Simon_Jester wrote:If we are really first, then Earth won the lottery at odds of one in millions, or one in billions.

Anyone with a healthy respect for probability will be considering alternatives, given that simple fact.
No less probable than any other species/planet/galaxy. Personal incredulity is not a valid argument, and the longer we examine the universe and continue to do so while realizing the impact of exponential technological progress and it's implications, the more probably that possibility becomes.
"Now let us be clear, my friends. The fruits of our science that you receive and the many millions of benefits that justify them, are a gift. Be grateful. Or be silent." -Modified Quote
Count Chocula
Jedi Council Member
Location: You've asked me for my sacrifice, and I am winter born

Post by Count Chocula »

Geez, 1/R squared explains why, if there are civilizations at an equivalent technological level as ourselves or even a bit beyond, we see no sign of them. Any postulation of the presence or absence of interstellar civilizations, no matter how fancy the math, is just guesswork.
The only people who were safe were the legion; after one of their AT-ATs got painted dayglo pink with scarlet go faster stripes, they identified the perpetrators and exacted revenge. - Eleventh Century Remnant

Lord Monckton is my heeerrooo

"Yeah, well, fuck them. I never said I liked the Moros." - Shroom Man 777
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

It could also be that the last robotic alien space probe came by in 960 AD, when there was no way of looking at the night sky except with the naked eye. It's an old universe, and we've only been watching space with things more sophisticated than the naked human eye for 500 years.

That said, I think it's more a factor of difficulty, apathy, and detection problems with picking up radio signals over interstellar distances. You'd need a very, very good reason to actually spend the resources and energy involved in traveling to even a nearby star.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Sky Captain
Jedi Master

Post by Sky Captain »

It is also probable that nearly all life in the Universe remains at simple bacterial level and advanced intelligent life is extremely rare fluke.
cosmicalstorm
Jedi Council Member

Post by cosmicalstorm »

Maybe there are a quadrillion universe bubbles out in the multiverse where life started elsewhere, consumed all matter in the universe to create a universe brain and then promptly did what ever it is such a being would do. We would not know, the only place where we could experience the feeling of alone-ness is the universe where we were the first ones out on the field. Not much of an answer. Then again, I've read a thousand theoretical explanations to the Fermi paradox and none of them ever satisfied me. Even Greg Egan, Yudkowsky, Nick Bostrom and others who usually offer explanations that seem at least a bit likely have failed me here.
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

Singular Intellect wrote:I find it amusing and yet perplexing that people have trouble accepting the possibility that humans could very well be the first intelligent species to have reached our current level of technological development.
Meh... it's possible. But it goes against the Principle of Mediocrity, which has served us as a pretty useful heuristic in the past.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Singular Intellect wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:If we are really first, then Earth won the lottery at odds of one in millions, or one in billions.

No less probable than any other species/planet/galaxy. Personal incredulity is not a valid argument, and the longer we examine the universe and continue to do so while realizing the impact of exponential technological progress and it's implications, the more probably that possibility becomes.
Put it this way.

Suppose we have two explanations. One has a prior probability of 1 in X, the other a prior probability of 1 in Y. If Y is much greater than X, you'd be a fool to take the second explanation.

There are two possibilities. One is that we are the only planet with intelligent life in the galaxy. The other is that for whatever reason, other planets with intelligent life haven't bothered us in recorded history.

To operate within your frame of reference, maybe all those other civilizations uploaded and realized they had no desire to migrate to other stars where they were 10^20 or more processor cycles out of contact with the rest of civilization- and therefore stayed home. Maybe they used up the resources on their planet before Singularity Magic could somehow wave away the need for those resources. Maybe they blew each other up. Maybe their expansion process is slower than some of the more wild-eyed projections here think, and they're still slowly expanding through a sphere of influence thousands of light years away. Maybe they expand fairly rapidly, but using technologies and science we don't know and can't easily detect because we don't know what to look for- and just happened to bypass us for whatever reason. Maybe they evolved under conditions poorly suited for space travel. Planets with significantly higher surface gravity come to mind; if Earth had twice the surface gravity it has now, we might never have bothered to try going past low earth orbit. Or maybe they're oceangoing life forms, who never developed much technology at all.

Maybe it's some combination of those reasons.

The other possibility is that despite the (now) known fact that there are many planets close enough to Earth to have roughly Earthlike surface conditions, and despite the fact that life emerged on Earth very early in its history, only on Earth did life emerge and develop intelligence.

Only in your mind am I "arguing from personal incredulity" when I propose the first bundle of explanations, instead of the second explanation. Nothing about our knowledge of biology, or astronomy explains why there should be one such world, instead of many.

The only reason you prefer the second explanation is because you make an entirely different and unprovable set of assumptions about how technologically advanced species behave- hence the assumption that they'd already be here, and that we'd see them being here.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker
Location: Ulthwé Craftworld, plotting the downfall of the Imperium.

Post by Lord Zentei »

You don't need to postulate that the human species is the first ever to reach a given level of technology. All you need is to postulate that the human species is the first to reach that level within a "sufficiently large" volume of space, and then postulate that there is a hard limit to what technology can reasonably accomplish WRT interstellar communication in the real universe, based on the laws of physics.

Then, as a bonus, add a finite life expectancy to any given technological civilization.

Presto, no more paradox.
CotK <mew> | HAB | JL | MM | TTC | Cybertron

TAX THE CHURCHES! - Lord Zentei TTC Supreme Grand Prophet

And the LORD said, Let there be Bosons! Yea and let there be Bosoms too!
I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Dead cows don't fart. -- CJvR
...and I like strudel! :mrgreen: -- Asuka
Skgoa
Jedi Master

Post by Skgoa »

Yeeah, that's why I wrote that contact is the unlikely thing we would have to explain. Since we can't communicate faster than light, we are only looking at an expanding "bubble" around us in the first place. But we don't even record and analyze all signals, we concentrate on a few likely canididates. So for the huge majority of habitable planets out there, we wouldn't know they are sending anythiong, even if they had a planet-wide alien-outreach initiative. This means no matter what the state of other civilizations is, we should not expect to recieve any (recognisable) signals, anyways.
http://www.politicalcompass.org/test
Economic Left/Right: -7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.74

This is pre-WWII. You can sort of tell from the sketch style, from thee way it refers to Japan (Japan in the 1950s was still rebuilding from WWII), the spelling of Tokyo, lots of details. Nothing obvious... except that the upper right hand corner of the page reads "November 1931." --- Simon_Jester