"Monster truck" rover heading towards Mars

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Enigma
is a laughing fool.

"Monster truck" rover heading towards Mars

Post by Enigma »

Another robot went into exile. :)
NASA launches super-size rover to Mars: 'Go, Go!'
By MARCIA DUNN | AP – 15 hrs ago

Email
Print

Related Content

A United Launch Alliance Atlas V rocket carrying NASA's Mars Science Laboratory (MSL) …
A United Launch Alliance Atlas V rocket carrying NASA's Mars Science Laboratory (MSL) and Curiosity rover lifts off from Launch Complex 41 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Cape Canaveral, Fla., Saturday, Nov. 26, 2011. The rocket will deliver a science laboratory to Mars to study potential habitable environments on the planet. (AP Photo/Terry Renna)

A United Launch Alliance Atlas V rocket carrying NASA's Mars Science Laboratory (MSL) …

Science Slideshows

Spectacular solar eclipses
10 photos - Tue, Nov 22, 2011
Woman begins solo Antarctic trek
5 photos - Fri, Nov 18, 2011
Old coins shed light on Jerusalem's Western Wall
9 photos - Wed, Nov 23, 2011

See more photos from science »

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) — A rover of "monster truck" proportions zoomed toward Mars on an 8½-month, 354 million-mile journey Saturday, the biggest, best equipped robot ever sent to explore another planet.

NASA's six-wheeled, one-armed wonder, Curiosity, will reach Mars next summer and use its jackhammer drill, rock-zapping laser machine and other devices to search for evidence that Earth's next-door neighbor might once have been home to the teeniest forms of life.

More than 13,000 invited guests jammed the Kennedy Space Center on Saturday morning to witness NASA's first launch to Mars in four years, and the first flight of a Martian rover in eight years.

Mars fever gripped the crowd.

NASA astrobiologist Pan Conrad, whose carbon compound-seeking instrument is on the rover, wore a bright blue, short-sleeve blouse emblazoned with rockets, planets and the words, "Next stop Mars!" She jumped, cheered and snapped pictures as the Atlas V rocket blasted off. So did Los Alamos National Laboratory's Roger Wiens, a planetary scientist in charge of Curiosity's laser blaster, called ChemCam.

Surrounded by 50 U.S. and French members of his team, Wiens shouted "Go, Go, Go!" as the rocket soared into a cloudy sky. "It was beautiful," he later observed, just as NASA declared the launch a full success.

A few miles away at the space center's visitor complex, Lego teamed up with NASA for a toy spacecraft-building event for children this Thanksgiving holiday weekend. The irresistible lure: 800,000 Lego bricks.

The 1-ton Curiosity — 10 feet long, 9 feet wide and 7 feet tall at its mast — is a mobile, nuclear-powered laboratory holding 10 science instruments that will sample Martian soil and rocks, and with unprecedented skill, analyze them right on the spot.

It's as big as a car. But NASA's Mars exploration program director calls it "the monster truck of Mars."

"It's an enormous mission. It's equivalent of three missions, frankly, and quite an undertaking," said the ecstatic program director, Doug McCuistion. "Science fiction is now science fact. We're flying to Mars. We'll get it on the ground and see what we find."

The primary goal of the $2.5 billion mission is to see whether cold, dry, barren Mars might have been hospitable for microbial life once upon a time — or might even still be conducive to life now. No actual life detectors are on board; rather, the instruments will hunt for organic compounds.

Curiosity's 7-foot arm has a jackhammer on the end to drill into the Martian red rock, and the 7-foot mast on the rover is topped with high-definition and laser cameras.

With Mars the ultimate goal for astronauts, NASA will use Curiosity to measure radiation at the red planet. The rover also has a weather station on board that will provide temperature, wind and humidity readings; a computer software app with daily weather updates is planned.

No previous Martian rover has been so sophisticated.

The world has launched more than three dozen missions to the ever-alluring Mars, which is more like Earth than the other solar-system planets. Yet fewer than half those quests have succeeded.

Just two weeks ago, a Russian spacecraft ended up stuck in orbit around Earth, rather than en route to the Martian moon Phobos.

"Mars really is the Bermuda Triangle of the solar system," said NASA's Colleen Hartman, assistant associate administrator for science. "It's the death planet, and the United States of America is the only nation in the world that has ever landed and driven robotic explorers on the surface of Mars, and now we're set to do it again."

Curiosity's arrival next August will be particularly hair-raising.

In a spacecraft first, the rover will be lowered onto the Martian surface via a jet pack and tether system similar to the sky cranes used to lower heavy equipment into remote areas on Earth.

Curiosity is too heavy to use air bags like its much smaller predecessors, Spirit and Opportunity, did in 2004. Besides, this new way should provide for a more accurate landing.

Astronauts will need to make similarly precise landings on Mars one day.

Curiosity will spend a minimum of two years roaming around Gale Crater, chosen from among more than 50 potential landing sites because it's so rich in minerals. Scientists said if there is any place on Mars that might have been ripe for life, it may well be there.

The rover should go farther and work harder than any previous Mars explorer because of its power source: 10.6 pounds of radioactive plutonium. The nuclear generator was encased in several protective layers in case of a launch accident.

NASA expects to put at least 12 miles on the odometer, once the rover sets down on the Martian surface.

McCuistion anticipates being blown away by the never-before-seen vistas. "Those first images are going to just be stunning, I believe. It will be like sitting in the bottom of the Grand Canyon," he said at a post-launch news conference.

This is the third astronomical mission to be launched from Cape Canaveral by NASA since the retirement of the venerable space shuttle fleet this summer. The Juno probe is en route to Jupiter, and twin spacecraft named Grail will arrive at Earth's moon on New Year's Eve and Day.

Unlike Juno and Grail, Curiosity suffered development programs and came in two years late and nearly $1 billion over budget. Scientists involved in the project noted Saturday that the money is being spent on Earth, not Mars, and the mission is costing every American about the price of a movie.

"I'll leave you to judge for yourself whether or not that's a movie you'd like to see," said California Institute of Technology's John Grotzinger, the project scientist. "I know that's one I would."
I wonder if this rover will find the others and run them over. :) Still, I'm anxiously awaiting any info on what the rover sends back around late July, early August.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: "Monster truck" rover heading towards Mars

Post by LadyTevar »

It would be nice if this one could find one of the little rovers, dust them off, repair a few things, and send them on their way. :luv:

Truth is Curiosity isn't going to land anywhere near Spirit or Opportunity.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I just hope Curiosity lands safely and is able to go about its mission.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

Quick note: Opportunity is still going. If the little guy is still running this January it will have been rolling around for eight years. It was designed and planned to last for 90 days.
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Mayabird wrote:Quick note: Opportunity is still going. If the little guy is still running this January it will have been rolling around for eight years. It was designed and planned to last for 90 days.
The little Mars rover that could. For some reason that makes me smile.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

How about a petition to bring Opportunity home?
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
someone_else
Jedi Knight

Post by someone_else »

how you plan to do that exactly? :wtf:
I'm nobody. Nobody at all. But the secrets of the universe don't mind. They reveal themselves to nobodies who care.
--
Stereotypical spacecraft are pressurized.
Less realistic spacecraft are pressurized to hold breathing atmosphere.
Realistic spacecraft are pressurized because they are flying propellant tanks. -Isaac Kuo

--
Good art has function as well as form. I hesitate to spend more than $50 on decorations of any kind unless they can be used to pummel an intruder into submission. -Sriad
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

By sending a team of astronauts to Mars, and taking it back with them while they are there??
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Darth Tanner
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tanner »

So with the huge expense of a manned mission to Mars, which is probably beyond our capabilities right now, you'd waste the limited return payload brining back a piece of equipment that’s still actually doing some good on Mars itself for what purpose? If you want it to sit in a museum, which is all it would be good for just make another identical for a millionth the cost.
Get busy living or get busy dying... unless there’s cake.
someone_else
Jedi Knight

Post by someone_else »

Would be kindish doable with stuff on Moon (say Lunokod, by using unmanned stuff. But sending people on Mars? That's a huge waste of money, for what would be a sentimental thing.

Also the reason no robot will likely be sent to the vicinity of the rover that stopped working. It would waste time that is better spent doing science.
I'm nobody. Nobody at all. But the secrets of the universe don't mind. They reveal themselves to nobodies who care.
--
Realistic spacecraft are pressurized because they are flying propellant tanks. -Isaac Kuo

--
Good art has function as well as form. I hesitate to spend more than $50 on decorations of any kind unless they can be used to pummel an intruder into submission. -Sriad
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

Darth Tanner wrote:So with the huge expense of a manned mission to Mars, which is probably beyond our capabilities right now, you'd waste the limited return payload brining back a piece of equipment that’s still actually doing some good on Mars itself for what purpose? If you want it to sit in a museum, which is all it would be good for just make another identical for a millionth the cost.
It's within our capabilites. Read a book called Case for Mars just recently been updated. Anyways he goes through all the stuff needed and how most of it can be meet with off the self hardware for a fraction of the price NASA says. He talks about making fuel on mars, he went into alot of chemistry on that portion. Ha talks about the types of living that way the crew can actually stay there longer.
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Mayabird wrote:Quick note: Opportunity is still going. If the little guy is still running this January it will have been rolling around for eight years. It was designed and planned to last for 90 days.
I'd like to see them take advantage of that, and see if they can get to to the nearest of Mars's Poles.

Bet you it get's there before a planned mission would.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
someone_else
Jedi Knight

Post by someone_else »

dragon wrote:It's within our capabilites. Read a book called Case for Mars just recently been updated. Anyways he goes through all the stuff needed and how most of it can be meet with off the self hardware for a fraction of the price NASA says. He talks about making fuel on mars, he went into alot of chemistry on that portion. Ha talks about the types of living that way the crew can actually stay there longer.
Yeah, if we really wanted we could live in a 2001 space odissey-ish future.

Zubrin (book's author) has as a goal the colonization of Mars, for reasons unknown, and there is close to zero support for his ramblings.

Unless china starts to do serious stuff on the Moon and the US finds again the need to do a pissing contest, there is no way in hell that it will happen
--

--
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

someone_else wrote:
dragon wrote:It's within our capabilites. Read a book called Case for Mars just recently been updated. Anyways he goes through all the stuff needed and how most of it can be meet with off the self hardware for a fraction of the price NASA says. He talks about making fuel on mars, he went into alot of chemistry on that portion. Ha talks about the types of living that way the crew can actually stay there longer.
Yeah, if we really wanted we could live in a 2001 space odissey-ish future.

Zubrin (book's author) has as a goal the colonization of Mars, for reasons unknown, and there is close to zero support for his ramblings.

Unless china starts to do serious stuff on the Moon and the US finds again the need to do a pissing contest, there is no way in hell that it will happen
Actually, Zubrin makes his reasons quite clear. Acting like he doesn't is a sign of either ignorance or dishonesty. Or both.
eion
Jedi Master

Post by eion »

someone_else wrote:Zubrin (book's author) has as a goal the colonization of Mars, for reasons unknown, and there is close to zero support for his ramblings.
So little support in fact that NASA's most recent plans for manned Mars missions are more or less photocopies of A Case for Mars. :roll:

Back to the OP though, It's great that we've got an RTG robot on the way Mars again. The RTG provides 4 times the power of the solar panels from the previous rovers. Coupled with some awesome cameras it should make for some great science. Now here's hoping the sky-crane works as designed and brings the rover in for a safe landing.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

dragon wrote: It's within our capabilites. Read a book called Case for Mars just recently been updated. Anyways he goes through all the stuff needed and how most of it can be meet with off the self hardware for a fraction of the price NASA says. He talks about making fuel on mars, he went into alot of chemistry on that portion. Ha talks about the types of living that way the crew can actually stay there longer.
He also tends to forger the costs of a manned Mars mission isn't just the hardware and tech, it's the training, development of procedures, planning, training, test flights, facilities, mission control, training and also training.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
someone_else
Jedi Knight

Post by someone_else »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Actually, Zubrin makes his reasons quite clear. Acting like he doesn't is a sign of either ignorance or dishonesty. Or both.
Hmm, a sign of ignorance that may be, but dishonest I'm not :lol: . I don't own the book, I only saw him various times talking on youtube, and the reasons he told don't hold water in real life (like "it is a logical extension of the settlement of North America"). Or aren't mars-specific, like the usual "all eggs in the same basket".

If you know more, please share. :mrgreen:
eion wrote:So little support in fact that NASA's most recent plans for manned Mars missions are more or less photocopies of A Case for Mars.
His plans are colonizing mars, not just reaching it to do SCIENCE like NASA wants.
He is an aerospace engineer, and he is highly motivated. His concepts will likely be good from a technical point of view.
Besides, support is money to invest in such endeavours, as paper rockets no matter how technically cool, don't fly. You think anyone will fund nasa to do it anytime soon?
--

--
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Check out the link to the Mars Society website, which explains it pretty well. Zubrin's President and presumably signed said document, and the positions are similar to what I recall from his books, if not identical:

http://www.marsociety.org/home/about/fo ... eclaration
This declaration describes the motivation for our Society.
It was ratified and signed by the 700 attendees at the Founding Convention of the Mars Society,
held August 13-16,1998 at the University of Colorado at Boulder, Colorado, United States.
The time has come for humanity to journey to Mars.
We're ready. Though Mars is distant, we are far better prepared today to send humans to Mars than we were to travel to the

Moon at the commencement of the space age. Given the will, we could have our first teams on Mars within a decade.

The reasons for going to Mars are powerful.
We must go for the knowledge of Mars. Our robotic probes have revealed that Mars was once a warm and wet planet, suitable for hosting life's origin. But did it? A search for fossils on the Martian surface or microbes in groundwater below could provide the answer. If found, they would show that the origin of life is not unique to the Earth, and, by implication, reveal a universe that is filled with life and probably intelligence as well. From the point of view learning our true place in the universe, this would be the most important scientific enlightenment since Copernicus.

We must go for the knowledge of Earth. As we begin the twenty-first century, we have evidence that we are changing the Earth's atmosphere and environment in significant ways. It has become a critical matter for us better to understand all aspects of our environment. In this project, comparative planetology is a very powerful tool, a fact already shown by the role Venusian atmospheric studies played in our discovery of the potential threat of global warming by greenhouse gases. Mars, the planet most like Earth, will have even more to teach us about our home world. The knowledge we gain could be key to our survival.

We must go for the challenge. Civilizations, like people, thrive on challenge and decay without it. The time is past for human societies to use war as a driving stress for technological progress. As the world moves towards unity, we must join together, not in mutual passivity, but in common enterprise, facing outward to embrace a greater and nobler challenge than that which we previously posed to each other. Pioneering Mars will provide such a challenge. Furthermore, a cooperative international exploration of Mars would serve as an example of how the same joint-action could work on Earth in other ventures.

We must go for the youth. The spirit of youth demands adventure. A humans-to-Mars program would challenge young people everywhere to develop their minds to participate in the pioneering of a new world. If a Mars program were to inspire just a single extra percent of today's youth to scientific educations, the net result would be tens of millions more scientists, engineers, inventors, medical researchers and doctors. These people will make innovations that create new industries, find new medical cures, increase income, and benefit the world in innumerable ways to provide a return that will utterly dwarf the expenditures of the Mars program.

We must go for the opportunity. The settling of the Martian New World is an opportunity for a noble experiment in which humanity has another chance to shed old baggage and begin the world anew; carrying forward as much of the best of our heritage as possible and leaving the worst behind. Such chances do not come often, and are not to be disdained lightly.

We must go for our humanity. Human beings are more than merely another kind of animal, -we are life's messenger. Alone of the creatures of the Earth, we have the ability to continue the work of creation by bringing life to Mars, and Mars to life. In doing so, we shall make a profound statement as to the precious worth of the human race and every member of it.

We must go for the future. Mars is not just a scientific curiosity; it is a world with a surface area equal to all the continents of Earth combined, possessing all the elements that are needed to support not only life, but technological society. It is a New World, filled with history waiting to be made by a new and youthful branch of human civilization that is waiting to be born. We must go to Mars to make that potential a reality. We must go, not for us, but for a people who are yet to be. We must do it for the Martians.

Believing therefore that the exploration and settlement of Mars is one of the greatest human endeavors possible in our time, we have gathered to found this Mars Society, understanding that even the best ideas for human action are never inevitable, but must be planned, advocated, and achieved by hard work. We call upon all other individuals and organizations of like-minded people to join with us in furthering this great enterprise. No nobler cause has ever been. We shall not rest until it succeeds.
Obviously, Zubrin's books go into the details more, both why it should be done and how it can be accomplished. I don't agree with everything he says, but they're worth reading, especially Entering Space (which goes beyond just discussing Mars).

Edit: rephrased the last sentence.
eion
Jedi Master

Post by eion »

someone_else wrote:
eion wrote:So little support in fact that NASA's most recent plans for manned Mars missions are more or less photocopies of A Case for Mars.
His plans are colonizing mars, not just reaching it to do SCIENCE like NASA wants.
You don't think NASA would like a permanent scientific outpost on Mars? Colonizing and exploration start pretty much the same way, with survey missions.
He is an aerospace engineer, and he is highly motivated. His concepts will likely be good from a technical point of view.
Thanks for conceeding that his rambilings, from a technical standpoint, enjoy widespread support.
Besides, support is money to invest in such endeavours, as paper rockets no matter how technically cool, don't fly. You think anyone will fund nasa to do it anytime soon?
Von Braun's dream of men on the Moon existed only on paper until the political will to fund it materialized. $30 Billion (the Mars Societies estimated cost for a 20 year Mars Direct program) is nothing in government spending. Apollo cost more than 5 times that ($170 billion in 2005 dollars) when all is said and done. Even assuming the costs are offf by a factor of 3, it still comes in well under the cost of sending men to the Moon, and with greater scientific AND potential economic return.

And since we're funding it over a 20 year period, you don't even have to raise NASA's budget. They get about $15 billion a year, you just take 10% of that for Mars missions, and there you go. Hell, raise it by 10% and let them keep their other projects at current funding and NASA's budget still acccounts for less than 1% of federal discretionary spending.

There are plenty of political reasons to go to Mars, and even more scientific, economic, and sociological ones. We're just rather lazy when it comes to space travel. We tend to think too short-term, but we haven't always done so.
someone_else
Jedi Knight

Post by someone_else »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Obviously, Zubrin's books go into the details more, both why it should be done and how it can be accomplished.
It's more or less what he said on youtube. Only the first two points in the list linked are really Mars-specific (most would apply to the Moon as well, and anyway under the assumption that Space race wasn't a pissing contest with Soviet Russia, and that setting such high goals without having to prove the RED COMMUNISTs are worse than you can still mobilize enough people for the plan to succeed.).
The second point (planetology) is the only one I think is really worth doing, but I still think that sending a zillion robots and a few research bases would be more cost effective than outright colonize it for kicks. It's a hellhole with just enough atmosphere to steal your heat much more than vacuum would and create huge overtly annoying dust storms with abrasive sand, let's not forget this.

The link is wrong, you wrote "marsociety" instead of "marssociety". Thanks though.
eion wrote:You don't think NASA would like a permanent scientific outpost on Mars? Colonizing and exploration start pretty much the same way, with survey missions.
That means what? NASA does not want to colonize Mars (and that's not talking of Congress, that won't give the money even for scientific manned mars missions, go figure for clonization). Zubrin wants to. For the initial stages both want the same thing, but how that shows "widespread support"?
Thanks for conceeding that his rambilings, from a technical standpoint, enjoy widespread support.
I dislike this point-scoring attitude. Feel free to continue though.

I clarified my view on his stuff since I failed to get that across the first time.
Yes, his plans to reach and stay look sound (i'm no expert), but I thought I said the part I disagree with him is the "let's go to mars" part.

So, where is the widespread support you are talking about anyway?

NASA prepared some papers that use his ideas, then what? They were good ideas so others decided to do the same, but NASA produces so much papers on ludicrous stuff that making a mars plan it isn't an indication of very heavy support.
Last real, funded plans plans were Constellation, and they were for the Moon. Something is still alive and is still (pompously) aimed at reaching Moon or NEOs.
But the last noteworthy stuff for Mars manned was that thing where people sealed themselves up in a Mars Mission mockup in Russia (not run by NASA if I'm not mistaken).
Or not?
$30 Billion (the Mars Societies estimated cost for a 20 year Mars Direct program) is nothing in government spending.
You are not answering the question. I asked: You think money will come anytime soon?

I know that space endeavours aren't horribly costly given how much money the US congress can play with, but the question was aimed to make you realize that there is jack-shit support (i.e. no money anyone is willing to spend) for Manned Mars missions or even colonization, which is what I was saying when you started this.
There are plenty of political reasons to go to Mars, and even more scientific, economic, and sociological ones.
I would jump on your wagon only if part of the plan is building some decent space-based infrastructure.
Like say, orbital depots, moon fuel mining facilities, Earth atmosphere skimmers that are in-orbit fuel manufacturing facilities, and possibly orbital shipyards to assemble the stuff we send up so we can use small rockets. Some superstructure and fuel tank fabs on the moon would also be awesome (diminishing the weight and bulk of the crap we have to lift up from Earth dramatically), but may be too difficult to pull off.

THAT is good for science and awesome for colonization since it will then allow to send stuff wherever the fuck you want (Mars isn't the only place you can play planetologist on, Venus is another very interesting place, and Jupiter's moons are interesting as well, or you can say screw planets! and begin to build orbital colonies that as far as abitation goes fare much much better than any other planet in the solar system), not myopically focusing on a single damn planet without giving a good reason like Zubrin.

He is missing the point no better than Apollo did. Going anywhere is a premature feat we can do but not affordably, we need to establish a useful (ISS does not count at the moment) presence in space first. And build infrastructure to make any other mission to anywhere cheaper.

Hell, I've seen more real support (money coming, prizes being won by tiny firms and research being performed) for orbital depots and in-orbit refuelling than to make true Zubrin's dreams these years.
--

--
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

Plenty of technical reasons to when you consider in the last 40 years NASA has had over 1600 technology transfers to civilian companies. So who knows what they might come up with pursuing a trip to Mars. It's actually a shame that civilian companies got all the tech and patents and NASA got squat.
Did you know the break pads one a NASCAR F1 car are made of carbon-carbon which is the stuff they developed for the nosecone of ICBM and shuttle. There's 6 more space technology in the car care to guess what they are?

NASA transfers technology to the private sector and state and local governments by actively seeking licensees. More than 1,600 such technology transfer successes have been documented in NASA's Spinoff Magazine over the years, which include commercial applications in health and medicine, transportation, public safety, consumer goods, agriculture, environmental resources, computer technology, manufacturing, and energy conversion and use
link
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

A great day for NASA. It may also be the last such day unless the US restarts Pu-238 production, or finds someone else in the world still making it as the current supply has just about dried up. We could solve this while avoiding EVIL nuclear reprocessing by building a even bigger rover powered by an actual nuclear reactor but that isn't bloody likely to ever happen, nor would it make much sense as a solution.
dragon wrote:Plenty of technical reasons to when you consider in the last 40 years NASA has had over 1600 technology transfers to civilian companies. So who knows what they might come up with pursuing a trip to Mars. It's actually a shame that civilian companies got all the tech and patents and NASA got squat.
Well NASA got squat except being funded by public money the whole time. That is one of the entire points of NASA ever existing, improve American aerospace technology in general. Its been very successful at doing so.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

Sea Skimmer wrote:A great day for NASA. It may also be the last such day unless the US restarts Pu-238 production, or finds someone else in the world still making it as the current supply has just about dried up. We could solve this while avoiding EVIL nuclear reprocessing by building a even bigger rover powered by an actual nuclear reactor but that isn't bloody likely to ever happen, nor would it make much sense as a solution.
dragon wrote:Plenty of technical reasons to when you consider in the last 40 years NASA has had over 1600 technology transfers to civilian companies. So who knows what they might come up with pursuing a trip to Mars. It's actually a shame that civilian companies got all the tech and patents and NASA got squat.
Well NASA got squat except being funded by public money the whole time. That is one of the entire points of NASA ever existing, improve American aerospace technology in general. Its been very successful at doing so.
that and since they are a goverment agencie they can't make a profit as that would set a bad example for the other agenies. :P
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

dragon wrote: that and since they are a goverment agencie they can't make a profit as that would set a bad example for the other agenies. :P
US Government agencies can make profits, some do like the patent office and commissary stores run by the military. Charging profitable rates for spin off technology from NASA however would just undermine the point of it existing. You want profit from NASA, tax firms more when they actually turn it into a part of a usable product that goes into the market. Also remember that NASA was not sprung from nothing to fly into space, it took over the activities of the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics which already had a long record of promoting American technology and had no other purpose.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

someone_else wrote:It's more or less what he said on youtube. Only the first two points in the list linked are really Mars-specific (most would apply to the Moon as well, and anyway under the assumption that Space race wasn't a pissing contest with Soviet Russia, and that setting such high goals without having to prove the RED COMMUNISTs are worse than you can still mobilize enough people for the plan to succeed.).
The second point (planetology) is the only one I think is really worth doing, but I still think that sending a zillion robots and a few research bases would be more cost effective than outright colonize it for kicks. It's a hellhole with just enough atmosphere to steal your heat much more than vacuum would and create huge overtly annoying dust storms with abrasive sand, let's not forget this.

The link is wrong, you wrote "marsociety" instead of "marssociety". Thanks though.
Sorry about the link.

Anyway, like I said, there's a lot more detail in the books, and I strongly advise you to read them. Zubrin is much more persuasive as a writer, I think, than as a public speaker.

Regarding the use of robots vs humans for exploration, I recall Zubrin's argument is basically that we could accomplish more with people there than with robots. When I consider the limitations on modern robotic, I'm inclined to agree, though I am of course no expert.

As far as the same arguments applying to the Moon is concerned, Zubrin goes into quite a bit of depth as to why Mars is a superior target for colonization. I don't remember it all, but I think at least some of the points are basically as follows:

-Mars has a cycle of day and night closer to Earth's, so you can grow plants with natural light, unlike on the Moon.

-Mars has more of the resources present that are needed to run a civilization.

Basically, the Moon has the fact that its closer, and other than that Mars is a superior place for colonization.