How Long until a serperate group becomes a different species

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

XaLEv
Lore Monkey

Re: How Long until a serperate group becomes a different spe

Post by XaLEv »

You might consider having the differences be phenotypic rather than genotypic, that is, they're more or less like us genetically but they grow differently due to different environmental factors.

Like maybe they eat native organisms which contain chemicals that alter human embryonic development.
「かかっ―」
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Interesting possibility. What differences might this make? Or, perhaps a better question: What kind of phenotypical differences would be realistic?

Obviously growing two heads and extra arms is out, but hair colour/skin pigmentation, that kind of stuff?
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:"Oh no! OncoMan is here! RUN BEFORE HE REACHES THE LYMPHATIC SYSTEM AND SPREADS TO THE ORGANS!"
Oh, that's just too fucking funny - thanks for making my day!
Eternal_Freedom wrote:Interesting possibility. What differences might this make? Or, perhaps a better question: What kind of phenotypical differences would be realistic?

Obviously growing two heads and extra arms is out, but hair colour/skin pigmentation, that kind of stuff?
It's easier to stunt/deform growth than to give an advantage, but if the colony suffered, say, chronic calcium deficiencies that might render them extinct rather than separate.

Certain weirdnesses that already exists might become more common - for example, the hemochromatosis mutation could be an advantage in an iron-poor environment. Then again, that's not an adaption you can see, so nevermind I guess.

Too much silver in your system can result in argyria, which definitely is a visible change resulting not from genetics but from something ingested. It is apparently a cosmetic problem and does not otherwise cause physical harm. It is also permanent. How you'd "engineer" that into an environmental influence for your colony is up to you. Be creative.

Oh, by the way, it looks like this:
ImageImage

Eating too much beta-carotene is supposed to turn you orange, but that's not permanent.

I can't recall other environmentally induced weirdness at the moment, but then, I just got done with my fifth straight day of 10 hours shifts so I'm a wee bit tired.

You might also consider the "founder effect" for inducing visible differences in your colony in a relatively short time frame. That could, of course, also imply some inbreeding/limited gene pool as well.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Oh, that's just too fucking funny - thanks for making my day!
You're welcome. If you would like, I can continue the analogy/horror further...

:mrgreen:
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est