Periodic table of dimensions?

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Enola Straight
Jedi Knight

Periodic table of dimensions?

Post by Enola Straight »

In the mid to late 1800s the Periodic Table of Elements
was assembled to arrange the known chemical elements by their physical and chemical properties.

A century later, the Standard Model
did the same for subatomic particles.

Recently, M-Theory has come about as the apparent culmination of Quantum Mechanics/ Relativity grand unification.

4-d Gravity...

...plus one dimension, as per Kaluza-Klein, yields Gravity PLUS Electromagnetism.

Add dimensions 6 and 7 gets you the Weak Nuclear Force, and adding up to 11 dimensions produces the Strong Nuclear Force.
...a periodic table of forces.

Perhaps we can have a periodic table of dimensions?

For that we must define the characteristics of the dimensions themselves.

We have all been taught that Time is the fourth dimension...an integral part of the spacetime fabric of reality.

We 3-d humans trace out a wormlike 4-d worldline starting at our birth and ending with our death.

A 2-d tv picture over the course of a broadcast of course changes shapes and colors.

a 1-d line on an oscilloscope traces out a curve over the course of an interval.

Even a 0-d geometric point like a quantum singularity does not exist for only an instant, but has a past and future.

Time measures change.
Time is not the fourth dimension...time is the first dimension!

So...we have a unique uni-directional dimension,
three basically identical bi-directional dimensions(length, width,depth).
and seven microscopically curled-up dimensions.

Graphically, they seem to naturally go together when arranged like this:

...a geometry which seems to bear a resemblance to Quantum Chromodynamics:

Am I onto something?
Masochist to Sadist: "Hurt me."
Sadist to Masochist: "No."
Skgoa
Jedi Master

Re: Periodic table of dimensions?

Post by Skgoa »

Enola Straight wrote: Am I onto something?
No.

e/ Graphical representations of highly complicated theoretical concepts are allways arbitrary and trying to use them as a "graphical solition" is pretty ridiculous. You can arange ANY data in a way that makes it seemingly form up in pretty patterns. It doesn't mean that those patterns are in there.
http://www.politicalcompass.org/test
Economic Left/Right: -7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.74

This is pre-WWII. You can sort of tell from the sketch style, from thee way it refers to Japan (Japan in the 1950s was still rebuilding from WWII), the spelling of Tokyo, lots of details. Nothing obvious... except that the upper right hand corner of the page reads "November 1931." --- Simon_Jester
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Enola Straight wrote:Am I onto something?
To a surefire way to melt my brain...
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Enola Straight wrote:Am I onto something?
No. I suggest you go earn a master's degree in physics before you hurt yourself.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass