CEDS - or my kid's Occupational Therapist is a quack.

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

CEDS - or my kid's Occupational Therapist is a quack.

Post by Chardok »

So, I got home tonight, and I thought I smelled something. Turns out that my wife wants to have my kid "Scanned" using this technique/machine that supposedly diagnoses shit using "energy" or whatever. Anyway - I'd like to get some thoughts of people more learned than I on this. Here is the transcript of the introduction page that preceeds an article which can be found here

sounds likebullshit to me wrote:The purpose of this is to introduce the computerized electrodermal screening (CEDS) which may provide the answers to why you don't feel well. This technology has been in use for decades. Praticioners and technicians can be found in almost every country. In my opinion, this equipment could drastically reduce the cost of medicine by improving the physician's ability to more quickly arrive at a proper diagnosis and prescribe medications with the greatest benefits and fewest side effect. It is highly versatile and can be used for many health-related purposes including allergy/sensitivity screening, mental health screening, drug screening, energy screening, and more.

The equipment has been slow to be accepted by mainstream medicine. In spite of double blind studies that have shown this equipment to be as reliable as many medical tests, it is used in very few M.D. and D.O medical practices. The equipment is mostly found in chiropractic and independent technician offices. A thourough screening using CEDS provides information, a great deal of information, and it takes someone trained in the medical field to be able to come up with a proper treatment for your health problems.

The equipment works uses (sic) quantum physics (the writer might be surprised to learn that everything in the universe works using quantum physcis...or maybe not.) At this time, scientific explanations of why the equipment works are inadequate but I have provided you with the best explanation I have found at this time. The equipment also screens thousands of items. There will never be enough double blind studies to cover all the items that can be screened. (sounds to me like they're saying "Yo, just trust us, it like so totally works.")

What matters most is that the equipment works and works extremely well. The new equipment is becoming faster and its accuracy is being proven as more and more studies are being done.

Bolded parts mine, of course. Sounds like a bunch of bullshit smoke and mirrors and shiny lights to trick morons into believing that ZOMG SHINY LIGHTS AND ELECTRICTY = HEALED!11!1oneonelol

What say you more scholarly among us?
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker
Location: Ulthwé Craftworld, plotting the downfall of the Imperium.

Re: CEDS - or my kid's Occupational Therapist is a quack.

Post by Lord Zentei »

It looks like quackery to me.

Here's a good website for double checking on that sort of thing: linka.

Here's the relevant article: linka the second.
CotK <mew> | HAB | JL | MM | TTC | Cybertron

TAX THE CHURCHES! - Lord Zentei TTC Supreme Grand Prophet

And the LORD said, Let there be Bosons! Yea and let there be Bosoms too!
I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Dead cows don't fart. -- CJvR
...and I like strudel! :mrgreen: -- Asuka
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Yep. Quackery.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Korto
Jedi Master

Post by Korto »

So what first made you suspicious?
That in the article; (1) they were using the device to find homeopathic remedies (which REALLY WORKS!!!!), or (2) the only journal they named with studies in it was the American Journal of Acupuncture. :D
“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”
Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

It's the same shtick as Scientologists and their e-meters only without the cult baggage. Glorified aura reading.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

The FDA classifies "devices that use resistance measurements to diagnose and treat various diseases" as Class III devices, which require FDA approval prior to marketing. In 1986, an FDA official informed me that the FDA Center for Devices and Radiological Health had determined that the Dermatron and Accupath 1000 were diagnostic devices that posed a "significant risk." [11] No such device can be legally marketed in the United States for diagnostic or treatment purposes. A few companies have obtained 510(k) clearance (not approval) by telling the FDA that their devices will be used for biofeedback or to measure skin resistance, but this does not entitle them to market the devices for other purposes.

EAV devices are not biofeedback devices. Biofeedback is a relaxation technique that uses an electronic device that continuously signals pulse rate, muscle tension, or other body function by tone or visual signal. In biofeedback, the signal originates and is influenced by the patient. In EAV, the signal is influenced by how hard the operator presses the probe against the patient's skin. (Pressure makes the electric current flow more easily between the device to the patient's skin.) The now-defunct International Academy of Bioenergetic Practitioners encouraged device purchasers to bill insurance companies using biofeedback codes [12]. I believe, however, that doing this could result in prosecution for insurance fraud.

The FDA has banned importation of EAV devices into the United States and warned or prosecuted a few marketers [13] Foreign and state regulatory agencies have also taken a few actions [13]. However, no systematic effort has been made to drive them from the marketplace. As a result, these bogus devices are being used by many chiropractors, acupuncturists, dentists, "holistic" physicians, veterinarians, self-styled "nutritionists," and various unlicensed individuals . The most common use is for prescribing homeopathic products. They are also used to determine "allergies," detect "nutrient deficiencies," and locate alleged problems in teeth that contain amalgam ("silver") fillings.
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

It's a miracle! Not even Wikipedia knows anything about CEDS!

Google's only on-topic result is the seventh of about 687,000, and is the exact page you quoted.

Total fucking bullshit quackery. I've seen virtually the same spiel on hundreds of sites.
Star Carrier by Ian Douglas: Analysis and Talkback

The Vortex Empire: I think the real question is obviously how a supervolcano eruption wiping out vast swathes of the country would affect the 2016 election.
Borgholio: The GOP would blame Obama and use the subsequent nuclear winter to debunk global warming.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

"the PKE readings are off the chart!"

I assume that someone is going to analyze the results? If so, have you considered pranking them yet? Say, dog poo or something?
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Chardok wrote:So, I got home tonight, and I thought I smelled something. Turns out that my wife wants to have my kid "Scanned" using this technique/machine that supposedly diagnoses shit using "energy" or whatever.
Chards wrote:What say you more scholarly among us?
You sure you want to hear? :wink:
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

His Poop levels are over 9000a

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Out of curiosity, how much did the doctor want to get paid to 'scan' your child using his miracle machine?
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
someone_else
Jedi Knight

Post by someone_else »

does anything, none knows why it works, but it works perfectly.

If that isn't Elf Magic I don't know what is. :wtf:

besides, I find it similar to The Zapper. You may want to direct your wife to that, still quackery imho, but looks somewhat safer and more competent. (i have been exposed profusely to that kind of device from dr huld clark and I'm not yet dead, the other thing may be dangerous)
I'm nobody. Nobody at all. But the secrets of the universe don't mind. They reveal themselves to nobodies who care.
--
Stereotypical spacecraft are pressurized.
Less realistic spacecraft are pressurized to hold breathing atmosphere.
Realistic spacecraft are pressurized because they are flying propellant tanks. -Isaac Kuo

--
Good art has function as well as form. I hesitate to spend more than $50 on decorations of any kind unless they can be used to pummel an intruder into submission. -Sriad
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:Out of curiosity, how much did the doctor want to get paid to 'scan' your child using his miracle machine?

Who knows? We maintain separate bank accounts and I told her that I will not participate in this nonsense financially. Play therapy, sure, this garbage? Bite me. If she wants to pay for (which I'm SURE the insurane won't cover) then she can pay for it.