Bullying Apathy by school - WHY?

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Knife
Emperor's Hand

Re: Bullying Apathy by school - WHY?

Post by Knife »

Norade wrote:
Knife wrote:I'm going to have to agree with Faqa here. While bullying is a problem and while it is tragic for a kid, being picked on or in a fight isn't a good reason to pull out deadly force. If the kid can get away, he/she should get away and not get in a fight. Should the kid 'stand up for him/herself'? Sure but if they get in a fight they have to face the consequences of getting in a fight.
That's bullshit, you're allowed to defend yourself as an adult and can do so by whatever means you deem necessary as a youth as well.
No you're not. Where the fuck do you get the idea you get to choose as much force as necessary? Reasonable force isn't 'by whatever means you deem necessary'. In most places, reasonable force implies what is required and/or expected of a normal person to defend themselves or another. If some guy comes up to you to punch you in the face, whipping out a claw hammer and caving in his skull until you rip his head from his neck and thrust it in the air in victory is not reasonable.
if you feel you are justified in using a weapon and could make a case for a reasonable person doing so it's called self defense and nobody can touch you...
There are some places where if you shoot someone in your house or property you have lots of legal protections. However; a vast majority of places, the police will still start asking questions. If the guy is dead on ground with a bloody axe in his hand from killing your neighbor, you're pretty safe. If the guy is dead on your yard with your TV in his hands, you have some serious legal problems. It is NOT 'IF YOU FEEL JUSTIFIED in using a WEAPON' it is always what is considered reasonable force for the situation.

Hell doesn't even work like that for the Cops. Local DA just ruled a cop, who shot at a car the officer said was coming right at him and he thought was going to run him over, was not in fact a justified shooting. Just because you have a weapon and just because you're scared isn't a good reason to use a weapon, nor is it justified. Hell, even in most self defense courses, they teach you how to 'get away' how to put the assailant on the ground so you can make a run for it. I've never heard of a self defense class that taught you to immobilize the target so you can get a better shot at him. I have no idea where you get your definitions for JUSTIFIED and SELF DEFENSE.
Unless you're at a school where they let things escalate and then punish the victim equally if not worse for self defense.
God you sound like an emo whinny bitch with revenge on his mind for those bastards who hurt your feelings when you were young.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Kingmaker wrote:
Let me stop you right there. In quite a few places, in the US at least, you do have that right, so long as you have good reason to believe the intruder has broken in with intent to commit a felony.
That is true.
I don't begrudge someone who is actually being physically harmed the right to defend them self, nor do I think that the onus is on them to back down and run away, but the solution to fisticuffs is not going to be getting yourself a switchblade.
I don't begrudge a person from using self defense either, though I do think that a person involved in 'self defense' would want to be looking for a way to deescalate the situation and/or look for an escape. There are times when stepping up to a fight is warranted, like not having any other thing to do, no escape, no way to back down. Too easily, though, 'self defense' is used as an excuse to extract revenge. Add to that premeditation in bringing a weapon to one up a bully, and it's not self defense, it's revenge and escalation of force. But I guess you agree in the end that fighting and weapons won't help the troubled youth.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

Kingmaker wrote:
Faqa wrote: Wait, let me get this straight. If a guy breaks into your house and steals your shit, you feel that it is your right to shoot him?
Let me stop you right there. In quite a few places, in the US at least, you do have that right, so long as you have good reason to believe the intruder has broken in with intent to commit a felony. Not that it really relates to bullying, since I doubt that the kids harassing you at school are also breaking into your house at night.

I don't begrudge someone who is actually being physically harmed the right to defend them self, nor do I think that the onus is on them to back down and run away, but the solution to fisticuffs is not going to be getting yourself a switchblade. I don't really know what to do about it though, since it is observably the case that authority figures frequently can't or won't do anything unless something happens right in front of them. Panopticon surveillance doesn't really strike me as being very feasible, and I don't really know how to produce proof of sub-violent bullying without something like that, since it's just going to come down to a case of 'he said, she said.'

Also, I think it is rather facile to dismiss juvenile bullies as budding sociopaths and criminals (in fact, I generally hate the ease with which the label 'sociopath' is thrown around on this forum and the rest of the internet). I think most people, unless they were the absolute rock bottom of the social totem pole (and even then...) were probably unbelievably, thoughtlessly cruel to someone when they were in high school or middle school. It doesn't excuse the behavior, especially in the more egregious cases of bullying, but it's something to keep in mind when thinking about the problem.
In Canada they tend to ask for more proof of need, but you can shoot people here as well.
School requires more work than I remember it taking...
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Norade wrote:I listed at least some of it in posts above if you care to read. Unless you think I would lie about attacking somebody when they didn't know it was a fight, and hitting below the belt. I'd much rather break up a fight peacefully to be honest, and I haven't needed to fight since I was in high school. I have reviewed self defense laws though as a friend wanted to be a bouncer. With a decent lawyer you can drive a truck through those holes.
Yes, try to bring a weapon into a fight against an unarmed opponent and see how far your lawyer can help you. Because that's what you've been saying, you goalpost shifting fucktard.

Norade wrote:You can get away with a fair bit actually. Or I'd have been charged when I nearly beat somebody with a hammer, I held back, but that is still technically assault. I'd have been in court had I hit him with it, but looking at the law and phoning around I would have walked with no charges. All you have to do is show that in that situation an average person would have reacted in the same way.
Holding a hammer and hitting someone with a hammer are two totally different things. Had you actually been in a fight and produced, much less hit someone with it, we'd hopefully wouldn't be having this conversation as your posturing wannabe toughguy ass would be in pound-me-in-the-ass prison getting shagged by Mr. Bubba.

Also note that holding a hammer isn't the same as you previous claims that it is (or even should be) perfectly legal to bring weapons into a fight against unarmed opponents simply because they are bigger than you or they swung first, you dishonest shithead.

Norade wrote:It's related to the level of threat to a normal person would see in that situation actually. So a large person acting in threatening fashion to a smaller person who knows they have no chance unarmed will often be a case where you can get away with force.
No, as a matter of fact it's not. If you bring a knife or a gun into a fight against an unarmed person you are now clearly in the wrong as you're offering deadly force in response to a non-deadly force threat.

Norade wrote:We have this to start with:
Has nothing at all to do with what I asked about relevant use of force laws in your area. Jesus, you've moved the goal post so far I'm not even sure what fucking sport you're trying to play at now.

Norade wrote:Now that I've shown that even a simple B&E can allow you to defend yourself and that one can use weapons to defend property.
Yeah, to bad you cited an appellate court case that had to do with setting aside a verdict base don poor evidence. The judges saying "By way of clarification, we should not be taken as endorsing the view that “defense of property alone will never justify the use of anything more than minor force being used against a trespasser” (para. 15) or that, in all cases, “the defense of property alone will not justify the intentional use of a weapon against a trespasser”, isnt them saying that it's perfectly fine to use deadly fucking force against an unarmed person, you fucking idiot. They're clarifying that their statements on that particular case are not to be construed as such.

Goddamn, you are dense.

Norade wrote:... blah blah fuckign blah
So you're response is basically a whole bunch of bullshit about trespassing laws that has nothing to do with supporting your claims that use of deadly force is justified in self defensive situations against unarmed people based on them hitting first or being bigger than you are.

Norade wrote:So you can wail on somebody for not giving something back after peaceful attempts to retrieve it. Given the precedent above you could use a weapon even.
No, you cannot. You grossly misapplied that "precedent" and no fucking law you've cited says that you have the right to use deadly force on an unarmed person for theft, much left for a fist fight, you dishonest fuck.

Now, I'll askyou once again to either so me a single fucking city, country, or state/province in either the US or Canada that allows you to use deadly force against an unarmed opponent based on them hitting first or being bigger than you. Fail to answer and I'll start invoking relevant DRs and politely ask Thanas or another mod to take appropriate measures. Keep being a dishonest shit head and I'll resume my offers to bribe Dalton to simply ban your lame posturing ass.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

Knife wrote:
Norade wrote:
Knife wrote:I'm going to have to agree with Faqa here. While bullying is a problem and while it is tragic for a kid, being picked on or in a fight isn't a good reason to pull out deadly force. If the kid can get away, he/she should get away and not get in a fight. Should the kid 'stand up for him/herself'? Sure but if they get in a fight they have to face the consequences of getting in a fight.
That's bullshit, you're allowed to defend yourself as an adult and can do so by whatever means you deem necessary as a youth as well.
No you're not. Where the fuck do you get the idea you get to choose as much force as necessary? Reasonable force isn't 'by whatever means you deem necessary'. In most places, reasonable force implies what is required and/or expected of a normal person to defend themselves or another. If some guy comes up to you to punch you in the face, whipping out a claw hammer and caving in his skull until you rip his head from his neck and thrust it in the air in victory is not reasonable.
I misworded that, but it's not far from the truth. You can legally shoot somebody for as little as continuing to move away from you with a stolen object after you have tried other methods of getting it back. I also never said that all murder in self defense is justified, though with a good legal team and a sound reasoning behind it you'll still walk. The thing is, you can punch me, and I can hit you back, if this continues and I can make a good case for you being the aggressor and me feeling at high risk, I can get away with a lot. If I have witnesses on my side, it gets even easier to fuck you up and not even spend time in cuffs.
if you feel you are justified in using a weapon and could make a case for a reasonable person doing so it's called self defense and nobody can touch you...
There are some places where if you shoot someone in your house or property you have lots of legal protections. However; a vast majority of places, the police will still start asking questions. If the guy is dead on ground with a bloody axe in his hand from killing your neighbor, you're pretty safe. If the guy is dead on your yard with your TV in his hands, you have some serious legal problems. It is NOT 'IF YOU FEEL JUSTIFIED in using a WEAPON' it is always what is considered reasonable force for the situation.

Hell doesn't even work like that for the Cops. Local DA just ruled a cop, who shot at a car the officer said was coming right at him and he thought was going to run him over, was not in fact a justified shooting. Just because you have a weapon and just because you're scared isn't a good reason to use a weapon, nor is it justified. Hell, even in most self defense courses, they teach you how to 'get away' how to put the assailant on the ground so you can make a run for it. I've never heard of a self defense class that taught you to immobilize the target so you can get a better shot at him. I have no idea where you get your definitions for JUSTIFIED and SELF DEFENSE.
As I have shown you can use a firearm over even simple property theft if you had good enough reasoning. There is precedent in Canada for the use of weapons to defend theft. Killing might be out, but injury is certainly in the cards as long as you make sure you try to get it back without violence first. Your local DA is also a fucking nut, and I'm glad I don't live where you do.
God you sound like an emo whinny bitch with revenge on his mind for those bastards who hurt your feelings when you were young.
I could actually care less, I wouldn't do shit to the people that bullied me now because they're mainly drugged out losers, or have talked to me since and said they're sorry for being young and stupid.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Aside from legal limitations and moral agendas, knowing that they have buttoned-down revenge fetishists may actually be one of the reasons schools struggle to deal with the problem. Any kind of support for retaliation would simply make the situation worse. Failing to manage a problem isn't as bad as actively making it worse.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Norade wrote:I misworded that, but it's not far from the truth. You can legally shoot somebody for as little as continuing to move away from you with a stolen object after you have tried other methods of getting it back.
Bullshit again. If you shoot an unarmed person who is offering no threat to you for simple theft it is fucking illegal in every goddamned place on this continent north of Mexico.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Faqa
Jedi Master

Post by Faqa »

I don't begrudge someone who is actually being physically harmed the right to defend them self, nor do I think that the onus is on them to back down and run away,
Why not? Well, it's human not to, of course. It's also human to kill the guy who's banging your wife or beat the shit out of the guy who cut you off in traffic.

None of these are acceptable behavior in modern society. Conflict resolution does not work that way. You forfeit your right to that instinct by partaking in society, and the stability it brings - which stability is brought about specifically because people are free to live their lives without having to partake in physical violence.

As for Norade:
41. (1) Every one who is in peaceable possession of a dwelling-house or real property, and every one lawfully assisting him or acting under his authority, is justified in using force to prevent any person from trespassing on the dwelling-house or real property, or to remove a trespasser therefrom, if he uses no more force than is necessary.

Assault by trespasser
(2) A trespasser who resists an attempt by a person who is in peaceable possession of a dwelling-house or real property, or a person lawfully assisting him or acting under his authority to prevent his entry or to remove him, shall be deemed to commit an assault without justification or provocation.
Did you.... read that? You are allowed to use "force" to remove a person from your property. EXACTLY ENOUGH FORCE TO DO THAT. It's not a fucking 007 licence, and while I'm neither a lawyer nor a cop, I'm pretty sure courts are a bit picky on what force was necessary. If you have a gun and he doesn't, I'm pretty sure shooting him isn't necessary, for example. Nor is walking around with a tool from shop class waiting for someone to trespass.

As for the second thing, JESUS. All that says is that the guy breaking in is liable for unprovoked assault for any violence he commits regardless. It is NOT about what you can do, it's about what he can be charged with.
Now that I've shown that even a simple B&E can allow you to defend yourself and that one can use weapons to defend property.
You have shown no such thing. You have shown that you can use a certain degree of force under certain circumstances to remove people from your property.

And that some prosecutor isn't actively against you. That's nice.
38. (1) Every one who is in peaceable possession of personal property, and every one lawfully assisting him, is justified

(a) in preventing a trespasser from taking it, or

(b) in taking it from a trespasser who has taken it,

if he does not strike or cause bodily harm to the trespasser.

Assault by trespasser
(2) Where a person who is in peaceable possession of personal property lays hands on it, a trespasser who persists in attempting to keep it or take it from him or from any one lawfully assisting him shall be deemed to commit an assault without justification or provocation.
So, basically - you are NOT allowed to use violence against a burglar. If you try to stop him from carry your stuff off non-violently, then he is on the hook for assault if he fights you. That... really really really doesn't mean YOU aren't on the hook as well. You just aren't automatically on the hook. If you wrestle him to the ground and stab his shit, then that's assault on your part as well.
So you can wail on somebody for not giving something back after peaceful attempts to retrieve it. Given the precedent above you could use a weapon even.
No, you can't. You can stop him from assaulting you, and he's on the hook for unprovoked assault if you're grabbing your property and he physically tries to stop that. Nothing more. You are bound by the same laws regarding a response to assault as any other time.

IANAL - I'm just going off common sense here.
They can do more than they are by adding cameras to places that would be legal for them to do so, this wouldn't stop things like locker room and washroom violence. It would however mean that you couldn't be forced into those places without being able to say 'they did it, look at the tapes'. It wouldn't even cost as much as the laptops they hand out like candy and it would be more useful to learning.
In this you are correct. Cameras would be invaluable.
"Peace on Earth and goodwill towards men? We are the United States Goverment - we don't DO that sort of thing!" - Sneakers. Best. Quote. EVER.

Periodic Pwnage Pantry:

"Faith? Isn't that another term for ignorance?" - Gregory House

"Isn't it interesting... religious behaviour is so close to being crazy that we can't tell them apart?" - Gregory House

"This is usually the part where people start screaming." - Gabriel Sylar
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

Mr. Coffee wrote:
Norade wrote:I listed at least some of it in posts above if you care to read. Unless you think I would lie about attacking somebody when they didn't know it was a fight, and hitting below the belt. I'd much rather break up a fight peacefully to be honest, and I haven't needed to fight since I was in high school. I have reviewed self defense laws though as a friend wanted to be a bouncer. With a decent lawyer you can drive a truck through those holes.
Yes, try to bring a weapon into a fight against an unarmed opponent and see how far your lawyer can help you. Because that's what you've been saying, you goalpost shifting fucktard.
You can, and you will get off with a decent lawyer and a not retarded judge.

Holding a hammer and hitting someone with a hammer are two totally different things. Had you actually been in a fight and produced, much less hit someone with it, we'd hopefully wouldn't be having this conversation as your posturing wannabe toughguy ass would be in pound-me-in-the-ass prison getting shagged by Mr. Bubba.

Also note that holding a hammer isn't the same as you previous claims that it is (or even should be) perfectly legal to bring weapons into a fight against unarmed opponents simply because they are bigger than you or they swung first, you dishonest shithead.
Sorry, we have, or had, prisons in BC where I would be golfing and hitting the gym right now. Not that I'd be in one, because I wouldn't have been charged. I had all the witnesses on my side and would have gotten away with dick all besides an investigation. The law works as well as you can game it Coffee, you have witnesses and a good lawyer you'll walk.

No, as a matter of fact it's not. If you bring a knife or a gun into a fight against an unarmed person you are now clearly in the wrong as you're offering deadly force in response to a non-deadly force threat.
Which is legal in Canada if you can justify it and made escape attempts first.
Has nothing at all to do with what I asked about relevant use of force laws in your area. Jesus, you've moved the goal post so far I'm not even sure what fucking sport you're trying to play at now.
Yes it does actually. It says if you come into my house, I can first try and tell you to fuck off, and then I can beat you until you run away. If I hang a sign, i can just straight up lay you out as that constitutes valid warning in my area.

Yeah, to bad you cited an appellate court case that had to do with setting aside a verdict base don poor evidence. The judges saying "By way of clarification, we should not be taken as endorsing the view that “defense of property alone will never justify the use of anything more than minor force being used against a trespasser” (para. 15) or that, in all cases, “the defense of property alone will not justify the intentional use of a weapon against a trespasser”, isnt them saying that it's perfectly fine to use deadly fucking force against an unarmed person, you fucking idiot. They're clarifying that their statements on that particular case are not to be construed as such.

Goddamn, you are dense.
it is saying you can use force and that the force can include weapons however. It flatly says you can indeed use a weapon, it doesn't outline when however.
So you're response is basically a whole bunch of bullshit about trespassing laws that has nothing to do with supporting your claims that use of deadly force is justified in self defensive situations against unarmed people based on them hitting first or being bigger than you are.
Trespassing is a lot less of an offense than assault. If you can use force there you can use it elsewhere with even greater ease. That much should be obvious even to your alcoholic ass.
No, you cannot. You grossly misapplied that "precedent" and no fucking law you've cited says that you have the right to use deadly force on an unarmed person for theft, much left for a fist fight, you dishonest fuck.

Now, I'll askyou once again to either so me a single fucking city, country, or state/province in either the US or Canada that allows you to use deadly force against an unarmed opponent based on them hitting first or being bigger than you. Fail to answer and I'll start invoking relevant DRs and politely ask Thanas or another mod to take appropriate measures. Keep being a dishonest shit head and I'll resume my offers to bribe Dalton to simply ban your lame posturing ass.
I did no such thing, in fact that precedent actually shows that you can use weapons in the defense of property.

However here is a more the actual law for self defense.
34. (1) Every one who is unlawfully assaulted without having provoked the assault is justified in repelling force by force if the force he uses is not intended to cause death or grievous bodily harm and is no more than is necessary to enable him to defend himself.

(2) Every one who is unlawfully assaulted and who causes death or grievous bodily harm in repelling the assault is justified if
(a) he causes it under reasonable apprehension of death or grievous bodily harm from the violence with which the assault was originally made or with which the assailant pursues his purposes; and
(b) he believes, on reasonable grounds, that he cannot otherwise preserve himself from death or grievous bodily harm.

35. Every one who has without justification assaulted another but did not commence the assault with intent to cause death or grievous bodily harm, or has without justification provoked an assault on himself by another, may justify the use of force subsequent to the assault if
(a) he uses the force
(i) under reasonable apprehension of death or grievous bodily harm from the violence of the person whom he has assaulted or provoked, and
(ii) in the belief, on reasonable grounds, that it is necessary in order to preserve himself from death or grievous bodily harm;
( b) he did not, at any time before the necessity of preserving himself from death or grievous bodily harm arose, endeavour to cause death or grievous bodily harm; and
(c) he declined further conflict and quitted or retreated from it as far as it was feasible to do so before the necessity of preserving himself from death or grievous bodily harm arose.

36. Provocation includes, for the purposes of sections 34 and 35, provocation by blows, words or gestures.

37. (1) Every one is justified in using force to defend himself or any one under his protection from assault, if he uses no more force than is necessary to prevent the assault or the repetition of it.
(2) Nothing in this section shall be deemed to justify the wilful infliction of any hurt or mischief that is excessive, having regard to the nature of the assault that the force used was intended to prevent.
You will note that I never said that you could kill somebody, in fact I've stated that you would be in shit if you did do so. The line about the amount of force you deem needed was open ended enough to include that though. However I was meaning it to say that you can certainly use a weapon on people that you feel are a threat, you may do this even if they aren't armed.

It says I need to have intent to cause injury or grievous bodily harm. Having a weapon isn't intent to cause that level of harm, nor is using it. Not section 34, subsection 2, clause B for further evidence that they need not be armed for you to be justified in killing them.

See also Section 36. Which shows that something like a death threat can mean that you can kill a person in self defense if you think they are capable of making good on the threat.

Section 37, subsection 1 says you can actually harm them to prevent future harm. So if you feel that in the future things will escalate, you can make a good case for using a high degree of force. Of course you need to have witnesses and a good lawyer or you're going to have headaches no matter what you do.

Anyway, you can go fuck yourself Coffee. You've cited nothing, you've shown no cases against the precedent I've shown and you really have no arguments left.
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

Faqa wrote:
41. (1) Every one who is in peaceable possession of a dwelling-house or real property, and every one lawfully assisting him or acting under his authority, is justified in using force to prevent any person from trespassing on the dwelling-house or real property, or to remove a trespasser therefrom, if he uses no more force than is necessary.

Assault by trespasser
(2) A trespasser who resists an attempt by a person who is in peaceable possession of a dwelling-house or real property, or a person lawfully assisting him or acting under his authority to prevent his entry or to remove him, shall be deemed to commit an assault without justification or provocation.
Did you.... read that? You are allowed to use "force" to remove a person from your property. EXACTLY ENOUGH FORCE TO DO THAT. It's not a fucking 007 licence, and while I'm neither a lawyer nor a cop, I'm pretty sure courts are a bit picky on what force was necessary. If you have a gun and he doesn't, I'm pretty sure shooting him isn't necessary, for example. Nor is walking around with a tool from shop class waiting for someone to trespass.

As for the second thing, JESUS. All that says is that the guy breaking in is liable for unprovoked assault for any violence he commits regardless. It is NOT about what you can do, it's about what he can be charged with.
You also get to use force to recover any missing property as well. It's easy to make a case for using a weapon to repel a home invasion and you can be justified by saying something as simple as 'I thought he had a knife'. It's really cut and dry that you have a lot of leeway to use force.
You have shown no such thing. You have shown that you can use a certain degree of force under certain circumstances to remove people from your property.

And that some prosecutor isn't actively against you. That's nice.
That's all I have to prove though. It's not always illegal, and you can get away with using a weapon on an unarmed person if you can justify it. I have to prove no more than that and I have.
So, basically - you are NOT allowed to use violence against a burglar. If you try to stop him from carry your stuff off non-violently, then he is on the hook for assault if he fights you. That... really really really doesn't mean YOU aren't on the hook as well. You just aren't automatically on the hook. If you wrestle him to the ground and stab his shit, then that's assault on your part as well.
Doing something as simple as hanging a no trespassing sign actually says otherwise. If you hang a sign and they trespass, or even if you ask them to leave and they don't you can now use force. Once force has been used by you and used back, you are now free to defend yourself. This can include using a weapon if you think you can justify/get away with it.
No, you can't. You can stop him from assaulting you, and he's on the hook for unprovoked assault if you're grabbing your property and he physically tries to stop that. Nothing more. You are bound by the same laws regarding a response to assault as any other time.
Also not true. I think you'll find that cases against a homeowner assaulting a thief are very likely to end up with the homeowner using force and not getting charged for it. In some cases they will get away with using more force that an assault outside of the home would have allowed simply because it's easier to make a case for being threatened when a stranger is in your home.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Norade wrote:You can, and you will get off with a decent lawyer and a not retarded judge.
So nevermind the law, the standard is if you can afford a "good" lawyer and if the judge is not "retarded" 9by which you apparently mean he/she doesn't actually give a fuck about the laws the cases they're supposed to judge are about).

Norade wrote:Sorry, we have, or had, prisons in BC where I would be golfing and hitting the gym right now. Not that I'd be in one, because I wouldn't have been charged. I had all the witnesses on my side and would have gotten away with dick all besides an investigation. The law works as well as you can game it Coffee, you have witnesses and a good lawyer you'll walk.
Nice way of dodging out of admitting that your original claim that it's legal to bring a weapon into a fight against an unarmed opponent is legal if they swing first or are bigger than you are.

Norade wrote:Which is legal in Canada if you can justify it and made escape attempts first.
Then cite the law that says that's the case, asshole. And this time make sure you cite law that has to deal with use fo fucking force and not goddamned trespassing, you dishonest shithead.

Norade wrote:Yes it does actually. It says if you come into my house, I can first try and tell you to fuck off, and then I can beat you until you run away. If I hang a sign, i can just straight up lay you out as that constitutes valid warning in my area.
Which has nothing to fucking do with your original claim, you lying shit.

Norade wrote:it is saying you can use force and that the force can include weapons however. It flatly says you can indeed use a weapon, it doesn't outline when however.
No, you illiterate moron, it does not. It says "In so concluding, we should not be taken as endorsing the Court of Appeal’s analysis on the scope of the defense of property. By way of clarification, we should not be taken as endorsing the view...", meaning that they are not making a ruling on the subject. I know you're fucking stupid, a try hard, and a wannabe toughguy, but you can read, right?

Norade wrote:Trespassing is a lot less of an offense than assault. If you can use force there you can use it elsewhere with even greater ease. That much should be obvious even to your alcoholic ass.
Hey, fuckhead, quit moving the goddamned goalposts. You were talking about the use of weapons, i.e. deadly force, not simply "force", you lying shithead.

Norade wrote:I did no such thing, in fact that precedent actually shows that you can use weapons in the defense of property.
Yes, you did, and no, you have shown no such precedent or evident, you illiterate, lying fuckhead.

Norade wrote:However here is a more the actual law for self defense.
Then read it and you might see that it clearly says you can only use certain kinds of force against certain kinds of threats. You can't use deadly force in response to a non-deadly threat, it says it clear as fucking day, you dishonest moron.

Norade wrote:Anyway, you can go fuck yourself Coffee. You've cited nothing, you've shown no cases against the precedent I've shown and you really have no arguments left.
You cited the wrong laws, misinterpreted them, and incorrectly cited precedent, so you actually haven't shown anything other then you're a complete and utter retard.
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

Mr. Coffee wrote:
Norade wrote:You can, and you will get off with a decent lawyer and a not retarded judge.
So nevermind the law, the standard is if you can afford a "good" lawyer and if the judge is not "retarded" 9by which you apparently mean he/she doesn't actually give a fuck about the laws the cases they're supposed to judge are about).
That's law for you. You're on as guilty as they can prove.
Nice way of dodging out of admitting that your original claim that it's legal to bring a weapon into a fight against an unarmed opponent is legal if they swing first or are bigger than you are.
It is, if you can prove that you felt they would inflict bodily harm to you.

Then cite the law that says that's the case, asshole. And this time make sure you cite law that has to deal with use fo fucking force and not goddamned trespassing, you dishonest shithead.
Already did, however trespassing laws are good examples for using force in situations where sometimes the thief hasn't even yet assaulted you.
No, you illiterate moron, it does not. It says "In so concluding, we should not be taken as endorsing the Court of Appeal’s analysis on the scope of the defense of property. By way of clarification, we should not be taken as endorsing the view...", meaning that they are not making a ruling on the subject. I know you're fucking stupid, a try hard, and a wannabe toughguy, but you can read, right?
Indeed, by not endorsing such a claim they leave open the possibility of using weapons in trespassing cases.
Hey, fuckhead, quit moving the goddamned goalposts. You were talking about the use of weapons, i.e. deadly force, not simply "force", you lying shithead.
The use of a weapon isn't always deadly force though.
Then read it and you might see that it clearly says you can only use certain kinds of force against certain kinds of threats. You can't use deadly force in response to a non-deadly threat, it says it clear as fucking day, you dishonest moron.
Great, you can be killed with a hand, a foot, or even teeth. All are things which have killed people thus an unarmed person can be said to be capable of deadly force. There, that's all I have to prove. You can kill an unarmed man and walk, case closed.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Norade wrote:That's law for you. You're on as guilty as they can prove.
Way to miss the point retard. By all means, keep dodging answering for your original claims though.

Norade wrote:It is, if you can prove that you felt they would inflict bodily harm to you.
No, it's not. Bodily harm could mean anything from they were just going to sock you one to they're a master of the Kung-Fu Death Grip and were going to demonstrate the five-finger death punch on you. Use of deadly force is only, and Ill repeat this since I know you're slow, ONLY warranted when you can prove that the threat was of the same level. If your bullshit was true then when I caught some ghetto thug trying to steal tools out of my work truck I'd have been perfectly in my rights to shoot him if he mere looked threatening.

Norade wrote:Already did, however trespassing laws are good examples for using force in situations where sometimes the thief hasn't even yet assaulted you.
You cited a law and no where did it say you were allowed to respond to a non-deadly threat with deadly force, you fucking idiot.

Norade wrote:Indeed, by not endorsing such a claim they leave open the possibility of using weapons in trespassing cases.
No, moron, they were saying that their ruling on that particular case had nothing to do with shooting unarmed trespassers.

Norade wrote:The use of a weapon isn't always deadly force though.
The only time that's the case is with weapons that are specifically designed to be less than lethal, and even then less-than lethal weapons have killed people. Anyone with half a fucking brain understands that "weapon" generally means you are now offering deadly force. No threat of deadly force or grevious bodily harm, then no using deadly force on someone. It's the same fucking standard that police use to determine if they need to shoot a suspect, and guess what? That same standard also applies to civilians in every fuckign local I've ever been to in the US or Canada.

Norade wrote:Great, you can be killed with a hand, a foot, or even teeth. All are things which have killed people thus an unarmed person can be said to be capable of deadly force. There, that's all I have to prove. You can kill an unarmed man and walk, case closed.
No, you fucking well cannot, you dishonest shithead. By that fucking retard definition, since I can kill someone with a car, if some asshole drives to close to me I'm now with in my rights to shoot them. For fuck's sake, at this point I'm wondering whose dick you sucked to get past admissions for your university.
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

No, it's not. Bodily harm could mean anything from they were just going to sock you one to they're a master of the Kung-Fu Death Grip and were going to demonstrate the five-finger death punch on you. Use of deadly force is only, and Ill repeat this since I know you're slow, ONLY warranted when you can prove that the threat was of the same level. If your bullshit was true then when I caught some ghetto thug trying to steal tools out of my work truck I'd have been perfectly in my rights to shoot him if he mere looked threatening.
You can easily prove that a larger man could inflict grievous bodily harm on smaller man. Thus you have now given the smaller man an out to use a weapon when assaulted by a larger man who seems determined to harm him. Your example is also shit as he never assaulted you and you didn't state that you made any attempt to nonviolently recover the tools.
You cited a law and no where did it say you were allowed to respond to a non-deadly threat with deadly force, you fucking idiot.
Following all the regular assault laws you can. If you think that they are using a force capable of causing grievous harm, you can respond in kind. If you think you can put doubt into a judges mind about you not needing such force, you can use it. Really all that matters in law, is what they can prove.

wrote:No, moron, they were saying that their ruling on that particular case had nothing to do with shooting unarmed trespassers.
They specifically say that they won't endorse a ruling against using weapons on trespassers. They say nothing about them being armed.

The only time that's the case is with weapons that are specifically designed to be less than lethal, and even then less-than lethal weapons have killed people. Anyone with half a fucking brain understands that "weapon" generally means you are now offering deadly force. No threat of deadly force or grevious bodily harm, then no using deadly force on someone. It's the same fucking standard that police use to determine if they need to shoot a suspect, and guess what? That same standard also applies to civilians in every fuckign local I've ever been to in the US or Canada.
It doesn't always though, a baseball bat can hit with deadly force, but it likely won't. The fact is some people can inflict more damage with a fist than I can with a bat. Oh shit, they must be using deadly force now!!!
No, you fucking well cannot, you dishonest shithead. By that fucking retard definition, since I can kill someone with a car, if some asshole drives to close to me I'm now with in my rights to shoot them. For fuck's sake, at this point I'm wondering whose dick you sucked to get past admissions for your university.
If that car actually assaulted you, meaning that the other driver was using his vehicle in a threatening manner or actually hit you with intent to harm you, you might have a case.
lance
Jedi Master

Post by lance »

Mr. Coffee wrote:
Norade wrote:I misworded that, but it's not far from the truth. You can legally shoot somebody for as little as continuing to move away from you with a stolen object after you have tried other methods of getting it back.
Bullshit again. If you shoot an unarmed person who is offering no threat to you for simple theft it is fucking illegal in every goddamned place on this continent north of Mexico.
I am 90% sure that you can in Texas, though they have to be on your property. This is from my recollection from when they had to stop throwing gay men into jail for sodomy so its been a decade or so.
Mr. Coffee wrote:
I think he left out the modifier grievous or something.
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

Knife wrote:
Norade wrote:
Unless you're at a school where they let things escalate and then punish the victim equally if not worse for self defense.
Well, that was how it generally worked at my junior high and high school. The school would ignore harassment and outright attacks, and punish anyone who fought back. It was OK to throw rocks at other kids or walk up to someone and kick them in the crotch, but not to fight them off.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
Eulogy
Jedi Knight

Post by Eulogy »

Lord of the Abyss wrote:Well, that was how it generally worked at my junior high and high school. The school would ignore harassment and outright attacks, and punish anyone who fought back. It was OK to throw rocks at other kids or walk up to someone and kick them in the crotch, but not to fight them off.
I hope that you whaled those bastards good, then, and flaunted the bullshit detentions/suspensions. If the school won't accept anything but subimission, then if you can't escape then the only logical thing to do was to make him regret picking on you. He kicks your groin, you put him in the hospital. It's fucked up, like Einhander said once, but it's the school's fault for adopting such a myopic policy.

You want to take it to the Coliseum, Norade? It's a little dusty.
"A word of advice: next time you post, try not to inadvertently reveal why you've had no success with real women." Darth Wong to Bubble Boy
"I see you do not understand objectivity," said Tom Carder, a fundie fucknut to Darth Wong
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Norade wrote:You can easily prove that a larger man could inflict grievous bodily harm on smaller man. Thus you have now given the smaller man an out to use a weapon when assaulted by a larger man who seems determined to harm him.
Yeha, it's called most locales have varying grades of assault/battery that they can charge someone with depending on how much damage they do in an unarmed attack. THey don't break out murder charges or attempted murder unless the person inflicts grievous damage or kills someone.

Of course we already know what your useless and dishonest response to that will be... "Not if yu have a good lawyer, hurr hurr."

Norade wrote:Your example is also shit as he never assaulted you and you didn't state that you made any attempt to nonviolently recover the tools.
No, moron, it's perfectly applicable because your standard seems to be "you can use deadly force to defend property against an unarmed person who is not offering you any threat". Example works just fucking fine for those circumstances as long as you're not arguing with a goal-post shifting moron, like yourself.

Norade wrote:Following all the regular assault laws you can. If you think that they are using a force capable of causing grievous harm, you can respond in kind. If you think you can put doubt into a judges mind about you not needing such force, you can use it. Really all that matters in law, is what they can prove.
Ah, so besides not knowing what the fuck "use of force" means, or even being able to read clearly worded fucking laws, you're also an unethical shitbag that thinks it's all good as long as you have a lawyer. Fuck the law, *I'm a smarmy asshole*! Eitherway, I'm still fuckign waiting for you to justify your claim that use of deadly force is legal against an unarmed opponent simply because the hit first and/or are bigger than you. Saying "well, if you have a lawyer" isn't fucking proof of this, so show me a single fucking legal standard in either Canada or the US that backs your claim already.

Norade wrote:They specifically say that they won't endorse a ruling against using weapons on trespassers.
They also are not endorsing using weapons on trespassers either, you think fucking turd. They're saying "no comment" on it. Goddamn, how the fuck you managed to survive childhood being this goddamn dumb is almost proof of the supernatural, as it probably had to be an act of god that you didn't choke to death on a happy meal toy or some shit.

Norade wrote:It doesn't always though, a baseball bat can hit with deadly force, but it likely won't. The fact is some people can inflict more damage with a fist than I can with a bat. Oh shit, they must be using deadly force now!!!
Which is why attacking someone with a fucking baseball bat qualifies as "assault with a deadly weapon" in most jurisdictions, right?

How much did your mother drink when you were in the womb?

Norade wrote:If that car actually assaulted you, meaning that the other driver was using his vehicle in a threatening manner or actually hit you with intent to harm you, you might have a case.
Under your retard standard, if they pull into my driveway and I ask them to leave then it's find to assault them because you can kill someone with a car.

In any fucking case, will you stop dodging away from fuckign justifying your retarded claim that it is somehow acceptable to use deadly force against an unarmed person in a fight simply because they hit you first and/or are bigger than you? Quit dancing around like a dishonest little pussy and answer the goddamn question already, boy.

lance wrote:I am 90% sure that you can in Texas, though they have to be on your property. This is from my recollection from when they had to stop throwing gay men into jail for sodomy so its been a decade or so.
And I'm 90% that either this was a really lame attempt at humor or you're a dumbass who hasn't even bothered to look at what the fuck the "Stand your Ground" provision in Texas state law actually says. It does not say that you may blast away at unarmed people who present no threat to you just because they're on your property. You have to be able to reasonably prove that the other person presents a deadly threat to you or others on your property/the area you are in (provided you actually have a legal right to be there if it's not your personal property).

Pretty please, with sugar on top, don't add to the fucking stupid stupid in this thread. We've got enough already thanks to Norade's dumbass.
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Mr. Coffee wrote:If you shoot an unarmed person who is offering no threat to you for simple theft it is fucking illegal in every goddamned place on this continent north of Mexico.
You're wrong, Coffee, I know for sure that WV says it's okay to shoot anyone who forcibly enters into your home and that they're protected against lawsuits from the intruder in exercising this power.

§55-7-22 of the Code of West Virginia

(a) A lawful occupant within a home or other place of residence is justified in using reasonable and proportionate force, including deadly force, against an intruder or attacker to prevent a forcible entry into the home or residence or to terminate the intruder's or attacker's unlawful entry if the occupant reasonably apprehends that the intruder or attacker may kill or inflict serious bodily harm upon the occupant or others in the home or residence or if the occupant reasonably believes that the intruder or attacker intends to commit a felony in the home or residence and the occupant reasonably believes deadly force is necessary.

(b) A lawful occupant within a home or other place of residence does not have a duty to retreat from an intruder or attacker in the circumstances described in subsection (a) of this section.

(c) A person not engaged in unlawful activity who is attacked in any place he or she has a legal right to be outside of his home or residence may use reasonable and proportionate force against an intruder or attacker: Provided, That such person may use deadly force against an intruder or attacker in a place that is not his residence without a duty to retreat if the person reasonably believes that he or she or another is in imminent danger of death or serious bodily harm from which he or she or another can only be saved by the use of deadly force against the intruder or attacker.

(d) The justified use of reasonable and proportionate force under this section shall constitute a full and complete defense to any civil action brought by an intruder or attacker against a person using such force.

(e) The full and complete civil defense created by the provisions of this section is not available to a person who: (1) Is attempting to commit, committing or escaping from the commission of a felony; (2) Initially provokes the use of force against himself or another with the intent to use such force as an excuse to inflict bodily harm upon the assailant; or (3) Otherwise initially provokes the use of force against himself or another, unless he or she withdraws from physical contact with the assailant and indicates clearly to the assailant that he or she desires to withdraw and terminate the use of force, but the assailant continues or resumes the use of force.

This is because you can't know if an intruder is a threat until he acts upon it at which point it may be too late to respond.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Here, let me highlight the relevant portion of that and hope you can figure it out for yourself, Tom.
§55-7-22 of the Code of West Virginia

(a) A lawful occupant within a home or other place of residence is justified in using reasonable and proportionate force, including deadly force, against an intruder or attacker to prevent a forcible entry into the home or residence or to terminate the intruder's or attacker's unlawful entry if the occupant reasonably apprehends that the intruder or attacker may kill or inflict serious bodily harm upon the occupant or others in the home or residence or if the occupant reasonably believes that the intruder or attacker intends to commit a felony in the home or residence and the occupant reasonably believes deadly force is necessary.

In case you missed it...

reasonable and proportionate force
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

In that case, when they say 'up to and including deadly force', does that mean 'you can use deadly force if they are a danger to you' or 'you can use deadly force if they continue to enter your property after you warn them off/try to stop them/etc'?
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Stark wrote:In that case, when they say 'up to and including deadly force', does that mean 'you can use deadly force if they are a danger to you' or 'you can use deadly force if they continue to enter your property after you warn them off/try to stop them/etc'?

Answered at the end there with "the occupant reasonably believes deadly force is necessary". Meaning you have to be able to prove that use of deadly force was reasonable given the threat.
Bluewolf
Dishonest Fucktard

Post by Bluewolf »

Requesting a split on the home defence arguments.
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Mr. Coffee wrote:
reasonable and proportionate force
And in case you missed it the definition of what is 'reasonable and proportionate' is lacking.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

Eulogy wrote:
Lord of the Abyss wrote:Well, that was how it generally worked at my junior high and high school. The school would ignore harassment and outright attacks, and punish anyone who fought back. It was OK to throw rocks at other kids or walk up to someone and kick them in the crotch, but not to fight them off.
I hope that you whaled those bastards good, then, and flaunted the bullshit detentions/suspensions. If the school won't accept anything but subimission, then if you can't escape then the only logical thing to do was to make him regret picking on you. He kicks your groin, you put him in the hospital. It's fucked up, like Einhander said once, but it's the school's fault for adopting such a myopic policy.

You want to take it to the Coliseum, Norade? It's a little dusty.
Sure, just so I can avoid being dumped on by Coffee and friends. One person is fine, but I seem to get dog pilled a bit recently.