Massive Storms rock Saturn

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Massive Storms rock Saturn

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

From Yahoo News
What may very well be a "Big Red Spot" in the making is being seen on Saturn.
Imagine being caught in a thunderstorm as wide as the Earth with discharges of lightning 10,000 times more powerful than normal, flashing 10 times per second at its peak.
Now imagine that this storm is still unfolding, eight months later.

One of the most violent weather events in the Solar System began to erupt on Saturn last December and is still enthralling astronomers, the British journal Nature reported on Wednesday.
Two studies draw on observations by professional and amateur astronomers using a broad range of gear, from relatively small ground-based telescopes to NASA's magnificent scoutcraft, Cassini.
Saturn, like Jupiter, is no stranger to convective storms.

It too is a "gas giant," or planet comprising layers of thick, roiling gases rather than a rock, like Earth, Mars, Venus and Mercury.
The difference, though, is that jovian mega-storms tend to erupt unexpectedly, but the lord of the rings gives birth to a monster almost periodically.
It occurs on average once every Saturnian year -- nearly 29.5 Earth years -- and appears to be linked to the summer solstice, when the planet's orbit brings it a bit closer to the Sun and its atmosphere warms a little.

The event is known as the "Great White Spot" (a counterpart to the swirling "Great Red Spot" on Jupiter) because of the mass of brilliant white storm clouds that erupt in the upper atmosphere.
The show is so big that it can be visible by telescopes from distant Earth. Five have been observed in the last 130 years. The last occurred in 1990.
But the current Great White Spot is proving to be a dazzling spectacle, revealed by an unprecedented array of observational power at hand.

Events began at 2105 GMT on December 5, when ground-based telescopes detected a "barely visible white point" on a normally unblemished and hazy part of Saturn's northern hemisphere, at around latitude 35 degrees north.

At the same time, Cassini turned its "ears" towards the target, listening in to radio emissions from the storm via an onboard plasma-wave instrument.
These signals are the telltales of lightning. Lightning cannot be seen visually on Saturn at night because of interference from sunlight scattered from the planet's ring system, which comprises billions of shiny particles.

Within a few weeks, the point had ballooned into a storm system that was some 10,000 kilometers (6,000 miles) across, roughly comparable with the diameter of the Earth, and after two months the clouds had almost encircled the entire planet.

Analysis of the data suggests that the "spot" is in fact a cluster of super-storms, produced by upwelling of heat, moisture and ammonia from water clouds from lower down in the Saturnian atmosphere, where the pressure is high.

As this mix rises into a cooler atmospheric layer called the tropopause, bright, white clouds of ammonia start to spread horizontally into a tail, sculpted by eastward jets of wind.
Astronomers are especially intrigued by the current Great White Spot.
The observational history of this phenomenon is sketchy. But evidence suggests the present spot is exceptionally intense and rather premature, for it was still spring on Saturn when the storm brewed.
Pretty fascinating stuff, especially as we are able to catch something like this as it forms.
Anyone clicking on the link thought try to avoid the comments... The amount of "Hurr Hurr must be global warming" Made my head hurt.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Re: Massive Storms rock Saturn

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

It's not going to be a great red spot like the one on Jupiter. The article itself says that Saturn tends to produce one of these every Saturnian year. Also, the phenomena on Jupiter are huge, deep, cyclones that persist for years or decades (or even centuries.) The one on Saturn is a sprawling, poorly organized, band of intense thunderstorms.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Any reason why it couldn't become stabilised? I thought a great permanent storm was inevitable on a gas giant?

or is it that little bit further away from the sun, reducing the energy available?
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

madd0ct0r wrote:Any reason why it couldn't become stabilised? I thought a great permanent storm was inevitable on a gas giant?

or is it that little bit further away from the sun, reducing the energy available?
Both planets have rather different atmospheric dynamics. Saturn has similar banding features to Jupiter, but they're much fainter (due to Saturn having a lot more photochemical smog than Jupiter does.) Like Jupiter, it produces cyclonic storms, but such storms are short-lived in nature. Like Jupiter, Saturn radiates more energy than it receives from the Sun.

Quite unlike Jupiter, Saturn has more significant axial tilt and a giant ring system, so it experiences greater seasonal variation in atmospheric temperatures than Jupiter does. Also, Saturn has much faster prevailing winds than Jupiter does.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

I feel...humbled.

It's a storm that could engulf and wipe the Earth clean of intelligent life, and it's just...a normal thing. Casually appearing and then going away like the most normal thing.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
U-95
Youngling

Post by U-95 »

Impressive (images at http://ciclops.org/?js=1). Unfortunately, with a nearly 5" refractor, I've been unable to pick it :(

Those storms sometimes grow to the point of engulfing the entire planet as happened in the 30s of the XX century.
starslayer
Jedi Knight

Post by starslayer »

A 5" should show these storms easily with steady seeing and good optics. You will need to use at 150-200x to pick them out most likely. I saw what I presume to be these storms at the Golden State Star Party through multiple telescopes, most of which were 8 or 10" reflectors. The dark band just northward should be immediately obvious in contrast to the brilliant white of the storms.
U-95
Youngling

Post by U-95 »

starslayer wrote:A 5" should show these storms easily with steady seeing and good optics. You will need to use at 150-200x to pick them out most likely. I saw what I presume to be these storms at the Golden State Star Party through multiple telescopes, most of which were 8 or 10" reflectors. The dark band just northward should be immediately obvious in contrast to the brilliant white of the storms.
I must recognize not only right now Saturn is in a very bad position for me to observe, but also that during the last spring I had a whole lot of bad luck. The day I could observ, I had or clouds (and rain, storms...) or turbulences that ruined the image; at most, I saw a Saturn that looked like those classical Voyager images, with everything as it should be -darker poles, etc.-. Maybe it was in the opposite side of the planet.