Quantum Loop Gravity falsified?

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Modax
Padawan Learner

Quantum Loop Gravity falsified?

Post by Modax »

source
Integral challenges physics beyond Einstein
The gamma-ray observatory has placed stringent new limits on the size of quantum “grains” in space, ruling out some quantum loop gravity theories.
By ESA, Noordwijk, Netherlands — Published: July 1, 2011

The European Space Agency’s (ESA) Integral gamma-ray observatory has provided results that will dramatically affect the search for physics beyond Einstein. It has shown that any underlying quantum “graininess” of space must be at much smaller scales than previously predicted.

Einstein’s general theory of relativity describes the properties of gravity and assumes that space is a smooth, continuous fabric. Yet quantum theory suggests that space should be grainy at the smallest scales, like sand on a beach.

One of the great concerns of modern physics is to marry these two concepts into a single theory of quantum gravity.

Now, Integral has placed stringent new limits on the size of these quantum “grains” in space, showing them to be smaller than some quantum gravity ideas would suggest.

According to calculations, the tiny grains would affect the way gamma rays travel through space. The grains should “twist” the light rays, changing the direction in which they oscillate, a property called polarization.

High-energy gamma rays should be twisted more than the lower-energy ones, and the difference in the polarization can be used to estimate the size of the grains.

Philippe Laurent from the Commission of Atomic Energy (CEA) in Saclay, France, and his collaborators used data from Integral’s IBIS instrument to search for the difference in polarization between high- and low-energy gamma rays emitted during one of the most powerful gamma-ray bursts (GRBs) ever seen.

GRBs come from some of the most energetic explosions known in the universe. Most are thought to occur when massive stars collapse into neutron stars or black holes during a supernova, leading to a huge pulse of gamma rays lasting just seconds or minutes, but briefly outshining entire galaxies.

GRB 041219A took place December 19, 2004, and was immediately recognized as being in the top 1 percent of GRBs for brightness. It was so bright that Integral was able to measure the polarization of its gamma rays accurately.

Laurent and colleagues searched for differences in the polarization at different energies, but found none to the accuracy limits of the data.

Some theories suggest that the quantum nature of space should manifest itself at the “Planck scale”: the minuscule 10^-35 of a meter, where a millimeter is 10^-3 (0.001) m.

However, Integral’s observations are about 10,000 times more accurate than any previous and show that any quantum graininess must be at a level of 10^-48 m or smaller.

“This is a very important result in fundamental physics and will rule out some string theories and quantum loop gravity theories,” said Laurent.

Integral made a similar observation in 2006 when it detected polarized emission from the Crab Nebula, the remnant of a supernova explosion just 6,500 light-years from Earth in our own galaxy.

This new observation is more stringent, however, because GRB 041219A was at a distance estimated to be at least 300 million light-years.

In principle, the tiny twisting effect due to the quantum grains should have accumulated over the large distance into a detectable signal. Because nothing was seen, the grains must be even smaller than previously suspected.

“Fundamental physics is a less obvious application for the gamma-ray observatory, Integral,” said Christoph Winkler from ESA. “Nevertheless, it has allowed us to take a big step forward in investigating the nature of space itself.”

Now, it’s over to the theoreticians, who must re-examine their theories in the light of this new result.
I'd be very interested to know just how heavy a blow these findings are against our cutting-edge theories...or perhaps these findings have been misinterpreted? Or perhaps it only means that theorists will have to do some tweaking without discarding everything?

I have no idea, but observations like these at least show that this stuff is still within the realm of science, (i.e. it hasn't crossed over into pure math)
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Re: Quantum Loop Gravity falsified?

Post by Molyneux »

I have never been able to wrap my head around the concept of space itself being grainy. Is that related to the "shorted possible distance" issue, or something else?
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Modax
Padawan Learner

Post by Modax »

Molyneux wrote:I have never been able to wrap my head around the concept of space itself being grainy. Is that related to the "shorted possible distance" issue, or something else?
...Sorta. I'm no physicist but I'm going to do my best. It's like this. Two completely separate branchs of mathematics are Calculus (Analysis) and Discrete Mathematics. General Relativity is all calculus, its continous and smooth. Quantum Mechanics is different, it's discrete and digital.

Now, to do quantum gravity you have to bring the discrete, digital maths to spacetime at the largest and smallest scales. This experiment basically shows that the resolution that the discrete maths work at is all wrong. I think.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

You can say, draw a picture of the beach from a distance, and not have to worry about individual grains. They're too small to bother with, you just draw nice smooth lines.

But if you sit there with a magnifying glass, that tiny section of beach looks very bumpy indeed, with the bumps being the size of individual grains.

This experiment is trying to find the size of those grains, and it seems they're a lot smaller then predicted. Since RL trumps theory, some people will have to go back and fiddle their theories.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee