Godhood - A dilemma

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Spectre_nz
Youngling

Re: Godhood - A dilemma

Post by Spectre_nz »

As you said, it cannot be cross-verified, everything else known about the human brain and it's computational nature by neurochemical process can be cross-verified because they're physical and measurable. Yet this thing, this "perception", you just stated cannot be cross-verified. If it were physical in some way, it could be cross-verified, but because it can't be you just admitted it's not. So this perception can not be a computational nature of the brain by neurochemical process, because it's not physical. It has to be something else, otherwise it would be cross-verifiable along with everything else in the brain.
QED.
Sentience, Qualia, the "Observer", or whatever different names we've been using for it, is raw observation, independent of what is being observed. You observe everything in your mind, Sensory Input, Computational Ability, and Knowledge. But the key point is that you observe them, which means your observation is not one of them: sensory input, computational ability, or knowledge, it is something else. Another reason it seems that observation is something else is that it has one key, defining, different property:
sensory input, computational ability, and knowledge are all physically measurable and verifiable. This "thing", observation, Qualia, sentience, whatever you call it, is not verifiable. Therefore it is something different from sensory input, computational ability and knowledge.
Ugh, really?
You're claiming some magical explanation for human perception and consciousness is less of an assumption than that it is a function of brain chemistry yet to be unambiguously mapped out?
What the fuck?

How is this qualia supposed to interact with our mundane, neurochemical driven brain to do what it does if it itself has no physical basis? If it is able to generate a physical effect on the brain, then it too is physical in nature.

Are you aware of 'Blind-sight' and related phenomena?
Brain injury that robs a person of their perception while sensory and more primitive reflex pathways remain intact.

Basically; awareness and perception can be attributed to parts of the brain, exactly in the same way that input an memory can. They even wired up a guy who was perception-blind only on one side for a brain scan and could map out what parts of his brain were active when he was just seeing an object compared to when he was seeing and perceiving the object.
Perception and awareness can be measured and verified. They're just another set of 'neurochemical levers' in the brain.
The complexity of the brain is staggering. It's foolish to assume a concise explanation for perception and consciousness will just pop out of medical literature as soon as they started looking into it. It's a total cop-out to instead resort to supernatural explanations and say it will be forever unknowable.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/218765.php

Rather than dump piles of medical articles on you, a youtube round-up;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuNDkcbq8PY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADchGO-0 ... 2&index=21
Eagle1Division
Redshirt

Post by Eagle1Division »

Formless wrote:
wikipedia wrote:Perception (from the Latin perceptio, percipio) is the process of attaining awareness or understanding of the environment by organizing and interpreting sensory information.
You don't get to redefine terms to suit your agenda. English makes a distinction between sensation and perception. Eg: I see words on my screen =! I perceive Eagle1Division to be a dishonest fuckwit. The very definition of the word indicates that cognition and judgement is involved. Go about this however you will, but please do not abuse the English language. This is like having a discussion with a six day Creationist who insists on using his own warped definition of evolution even when told directly by biologists that it is simply not evolution as they understand it. Even when he is right, he's still wrong.
So which am I? Stupid or dishonest? 'Cause if I'm going purely by dishonesty, I'm doing a pretty good job. If I'm stupid, at least I'm honest. :lol:

English-wise, that isn't the correct definition of perception, you are correct. But I wanted to clearly articulate my point by assigning what I meant to a word, much like how we assign a value to a function in math to make writing and articulation more streamlined.

Anyways, reading around I've found I'm not alone. It's called phenomenal consciousness, P-consciousness, and I was correct that it is qualia (The reason I called it perception is because of your insistence that Qualia is non-physical, which implies that Qualia is not what I'm talking about. Wrong. Just because we can't detect it doesn't mean it's non physical. Have some humility, >90% of the universe is missing! There ARE things we can't/haven't detected! *Shock shock*!)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consciousn ... e_thing.3F
Formless wrote:
What remains, though, is our perception, which is separate from those 3 things. I may be mistaken, but I believe this is the cause of the debate, that Formless disagrees and believes that perception is somehow within those 3 things.
Yes, that and the absolutely retched ethical solipsism that logically flows from this pointless metaphysics.
Honestly, answer my question. Isn't the truth the only thing that matters? If so, you've got to stop using an ethical argument against my point. If not, then you've lost major ground in your holy crusade against religion, pick a side, bud, answer the question. Is truth the only thing that matters or not?
Formless wrote:
Perception is what would be called Qualia. It's your raw perception of the universe: It's all feeling, sensation, emotion, as you perceive them. It's impossible in any way to communicate information directly from your perception. For example, I may call a strawberry red, and you may call it red, too. But wherever you see red, I may see green instead, and wherever you see green I could see red. But we would never know, because I would spend my entire life calling green red, and red green. There would be no way to ever communicate this difference...
Ergo, there is no difference. Why must I spell out for you what should be an obvious deduction? Language reflects cognition in the brain, if imperfectly: it is unnecessary from an epistemological point of view to posit that one entity reporting perception is any more or less capable of perception than another regardless of material differences between their brains. You might want to reflect on the implications of the computational concept Turing Completeness, and the fact that as the inventors of computers we humans should also be Turing Complete.
Maybe you thought the big words would confuse me, but honestly the big words aren't the reason that doesn't make any sense. The fact that it bears no weight in this argument is what doesn't make sense. Honestly, they teach you to win arguments by being complicated and not making sense to the opponent. That's morally wrong, and that's just bad communication.

Honestly I don't see how you can arrive to such strange things by any logic. I am quiet sure there is a difference in-between red and green, no matter what kind of big words and twisted logic you use against it. This is what gets me about atheists. You use your own logic and reasoning, your own philosophy, to change the observation. That's bad science. That's changing observation to match your hypothesis. And it leads to these distorted ideas of reality where green and red are the same thing.
Formless wrote: That is what the inverted spectrum machine thought experiment was supposed to demonstrate: you didn't actually bother to understand it and instead went for the dishonesty of openly putting words into my mouth. :finger: You claim it requires a specific mechanism of the mind's function, when in fact the machine makes sense regardless of how the mind manipulates or utilizes sensory data. It could be a neuro-chemical brain made of living cells, silicon and lead circuit board, clockwork, or metaphysical Qualia, and the experiment would still work. Language allows the user to communicate with the operator that there is a discrepancy between what he now sees and what he usually sees: the operator, having common sense, then puts two and two together and translates the spectrum back to what the user thinks of as "normal". The process of translation is what is important here. If Qualia, which are self reported entities, can be translated into language just as easily as computational processes, the proposal that Qualia exist is not even wrong.
Openly putting words into your mouth? Unless I misunderstood you, that's a summary of what you said. You created a thought experiment where I'm wrong, and then shouted how I'm wrong because you can think I'm wrong.

When people can sneak off, hiding such blatant dishonesty by confusing the reader with confusing language, it is necessary to summarize so such dishonesty can be shown.

And honestly I really don't recognize how you've distorted the inverted spectrum argument, or how you claim it works against Qualia? Or are you arguing for Qualia now? Or are you pulling your old thought experiment out again, the one that started with the assumption that I'm wrong?
Because I'm about 99% sure that Inverted Spectrum is an argument for Qualia, unless I read the wrong article.
Formless wrote: And that is the problem. All of your arguments and challenges to me simply assume that "Qualia" must be explained when the very necessity of their existence is in question. It is not the philosopher's job to create self serving questions nor to give answers in search of questions. By contrast, magnetism and gravity serve the purpose of explaining real, observed features of the universe and behaviors of matter whose existence is not in question by any but the insane.
Ah, ok. So I'm dishonest, dumb, and insane now. Gotcha.

So, your feeling and perception aren't real then? Haven't we been here before? I feel like our debate-argument is going in circles. I think we've already covered, and affirmed, rather extensively, that Qualia both exists and is necessary. Well, of course, if it's unnecessary you can leave philosophy altogether, since really at times a debate on a somewhat obscure web forum seems a bit unnecessary sometimes, especially when I realize how much time I've spent.

I really don't understand what you mean by "unnecessary". It's as if you can simply ignore the fact that you feel, the Hard Problem of Consciousness, and ignore the fact of conscious experience. Unless I misunderstood, that's what you're saying. That I should outright ignore the fact that there's an enormous "Hard Problem" of consciousness.
Formless wrote: But what is sad is that you actually think you can handwave away a perfectly fine holistic explanation for things like sentience and consciousness without so much as a hint of irony:
The second key of my argument is that perception can't be #1, 2, or 3, because perception perceives all of them. In order to perceive them, it cannot be one of them. It must be higher up on a hierarchy in order to perceive them. If it were one of those things, one of two things would happen:
A) It would perceive itself, and because perception would perceives itself, it would create an infinite loop, much like a camera that's pointed at a monitor displaying whatever the camera shows. An infinity shot. Much like how a camera will see nothing but the monitor an infinite number of times because of this, perception would be unable to perceive anything other than itself an infinite number of times if it could perceive itself, and you would be incapable of perceiving anything other than your perception, an infinite number of times.
If you had read the rest of the thread you would know that recursive processes like self awareness can actually change future behavior of a system in staggeringly complex ways, owing to the fact that a process has to, you know, actually be carried out in a finite number of steps and in a finite amount of time. :roll: Self awareness isn't just a sci-fi buzzword, you know, its an actual concept well developed by philosophers such as John Locke and Douglas Hofstadter. On the other hand, Qualia are a static unchaining "thing" and exist in all matter and yet only in humans (...somehow). What exactly makes you think that of that as the superior model of human consciousness? :wtf:
Amazing! You actually managed to reply to one of my points. Congratulations. Even though you seemed to miss it. The first thing to be perceived would be perception itself, seeing as that's most directly connected to perception and nearest to it. So perception would perceive itself, perceiving itself, perceiving itself, perceiving itself, etc. The only thing it will ever perceive is itself, and it perceives nothing.

This isn't the same as the Droste Effect. Perception has to finish perceiving itself before it can perceive anything else. So it would have to finish an infinite loop before it can perceive itself.
But, I will give you some credit, if perception perceives everything simultaniously, then it would result in a Droste effect. So you've got the a single point replied to 50/50.

Well, actually, let me return to my first paragraph in this quote-reply. I said it mustn't perceive itself. If this is the case, then instead of perceiving your own Qualia, you would simply perceive what the Qualia perceives. This is actually consistent with observation. We can't put our finger on what Qualia really is because we can't perceive it, yet we can perceive that we are perceiving something, so it must exist. Another example of how this model better matches observation.

Oh, and that covers your final point. How is it the better model? It better matches observation.
Formless wrote:...exist in all matter and yet only in humans...
Hmm. Magnetic fields are strange, aren't they?
Exist in all matter [in every particle], and yet only in magnets...

May I point out, to my utter pleasure, I am not alone in my argument. It appears David Chalmers had independently reached a similar conclusion to mine.

Wiki:
...Chalmers argues that a ‘rich inner life’ is not possible as a result of physical processing. He states that consciousness must be described using nonphysical means. This description involves a fundamental ingredient capable of clarifying phenomena that have not been explained using physical means. Use of this fundamental property, Chalmers argues, is necessary to explain certain functions of the world, much like other fundamental features, such as mass and time, explain significant principles in nature.
What bothers me is the "nonphysical". I don't understand why it has to be nonphysical.
When we discovered that some metals exert force on eachother, science made place for a new thing called magnetism, a fundamental property of matter. Why is it that now, all of a sudden, when it seems to make sense to say we've discovered a new property of matter called Qualia, I get met with such fierce resistance which do little more than call me stupid, dishonest, and insane, when I have a valid point?
It's a solution for the Binding Problem, Hard Problem of Consciousness, and takes a plausible approach to explaining Qualia.
I'm not the first, not some crazy kid coming forward with this idea. It's an old idea.

Instead, it seems easier to merely say it's some sort of magical process in the brain that we don't know about yet - but you're sure one day we will discover. That's religious.

==========Reply to Spectre==========

Spectre_nz wrote: Ugh, really?
You're claiming some magical explanation for human perception and consciousness is less of an assumption than that it is a function of brain chemistry yet to be unambiguously mapped out?
What the fuck?
Only as "Magical" as magnetism. :wink:
Spectre_nz wrote: How is this qualia supposed to interact with our mundane, neurochemical driven brain to do what it does if it itself has no physical basis? If it is able to generate a physical effect on the brain, then it too is physical in nature.
A compelling, and correct point. I don't disagree with it. What I disagree with is that Qualia, or Perception itself is a neuorchemical process. To me, anyways, Qualia being a fundamental property of matter is far more likely, and far more streamlined, than some sort of magical process that somehow creates perception through chemical reactions, or "levers flipping".

I'm not arguing for some kind of magical, non-physical thing, I'm arguing against it. I'm saying that Qualia is a real, physical property.

What I'm arguing against is that it's some kind of magical ghost that arises when you place X number of switches like so.

I'm the one trying to assign a physical existence to things. Matter is very physical, properties of matter such as spin, mass and charge are very physical. So in this sense, Qualia would be just as physical as any of those things. In fact, interestingly enough, Qualia may very well be a known quantum mechanical property, interacting with the brain in some way we haven't observed yet.

I consider that far more plausible than a certain number of chemical switched arranged correctly magically creates Qualia.
Spectre_nz wrote:Are you aware of 'Blind-sight' and related phenomena?
Brain injury that robs a person of their perception while sensory and more primitive reflex pathways remain intact.

Basically; awareness and perception can be attributed to parts of the brain, exactly in the same way that input an memory can. They even wired up a guy who was perception-blind only on one side for a brain scan and could map out what parts of his brain were active when he was just seeing an object compared to when he was seeing and perceiving the object.
Perception and awareness can be measured and verified. They're just another set of 'neurochemical levers' in the brain.
The complexity of the brain is staggering. It's foolish to assume a concise explanation for perception and consciousness will just pop out of medical literature as soon as they started looking into it. It's a total cop-out to instead resort to supernatural explanations and say it will be forever unknowable.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/218765.php

Rather than dump piles of medical articles on you, a youtube round-up;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuNDkcbq8PY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADchGO-0 ... 2&index=21
I'm quiet comfortable with the idea that the brain is the process behind sensory input.

Blind Sight means one of two things:
A) Visual perception of movement, and visual imagery are two different types of input.
or
B) Philosophical zombies, as Ramachandran noted, are possible. In fact, they even described reptiles as philosophical zombies. Beings that don't have an "awareness", but react to things with blind sight only (and every other sense as "blind").

A) Does not change the argument-debate in any way, sensory input has been classified as something very different from perception a long time ago.
B) Is observational evidence, possibly even proof, that Qualia does, in fact, exist. Qualia would be the thing that philosophical zombies lack. Philosophical zombies are possible, if blind sight is possible and isn't due to (A).

What amazed me was I wrote those down, then the video covered them. That's a confidence booster :) .
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

Jesus, you're still here? Why do even...

Here is how I perceive this situation. I see a troll who dares claim-- no insist that he is interested in "truth" while at the same time arguing from a position that he openly admits he believes in because of "intuition"-- that is, faith by another name, and I think in light of his continued mockary of my atheism that is a very accurate assessment despite his denial. Notice all the attempts to shift the burden of proof even as he is being called out for Begging the Question? Or his accusations that I have a debate mentality... thus showing he knows jack shit about what kind of board he is on? A debate oriented board, with rules of debate that can get you banned if you refuse to follow them? And the fact that he ignores even the most basic points, like that perception is a process in itself, and that this is demonstrated by neuroscience observations helpfully provided by Spectre_nz * .

Look no further than his pathetic understanding of magnetism. The electromagnetic force is what keeps matter solid (i.e. physical) in the first place. Does he understand this? No, he does not. In fact, he fails to understand that you can see any of the intrinsic properties of matter in any given bit of matter-- that is what makes them intrinsic. As opposed to, say, acidity or combustibility which are chemical properties of certain arraignments of matter. And yet the brain's chemicals cannot have the computational property of "perception"/sensory awareness? :wtf: Imagine if he used these arguments against other chemical processes: does he mean to say he believes in elemental fire? :lol: :) :? :x :banghead:

Are we starting to understand how a Wall of Ignorance is built?

Its funny watching a religious apologist break down-- they can only ever attack that which they know nothing about, like atheism or polytheism, because they've narrowed their interests so much they cannot see any other point of view. See how they love projecting their own flaws onto others: how many times has this fuckwit characterized my arguments as religious, despite my openly atheistic/non-religious stance? How many times has he repeated that I am misunderstanding his concept of Qualia, when I repeatedly and accurately summarized his position long before a neutral party forced him to do so himself? And of course his pathetic attempts to argue that neuroscience claims to know everything, an absurd claim on the face of it. Absurd... unless he sees Neuroscience (or maybe all of science?) as a competing religion, that is.

And on top of this, he simultaneously admits that his ideas are unfalsifiable yet expects his audience to show a better model. Dumbfuck doesn't even realize that any model is better than one that cannot be falsified! :roll:

I repeat, and this time I'm invoking invoke the rules of the board: show evidence that Qualia are a physical property of matter that can only be seen in living creatures. Otherwise, concede that my facts are superior to your ignorance.

* In case anyone thinks his interpretation of Spectre_nz's evidence is at all accurate, realize that his "philosophic zombie" idea has to do with being unable to distinguish between a conscious and unconscious being, whereas neuroscience (and indeed anyone with a shred of common sense) has no problem figuring out who is sleepwalking and who is not. Why? Because they do not behave normally, and do not self report consciousness. Exactly what we would expect if cognitive-neuroscience was an accurate model of consciousness. What a shock! :lol:
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
Spectre_nz
Youngling

Post by Spectre_nz »

Only as "Magical" as magnetism. :wink:
Emoticons don't excuse you for retarded statements. If you're taking about magnetism (fucking magnets, how do they work?), in the correct context, then no, not magical.
But, If you're trying to sell me on the idea that I can strap a pair of magnets to my fuel line and improve my vehicle's fuel efficiency, then yes, magical.
Now a days we tend to call it pseudoscience.

The ever diluting homeopaths and the healing crystal vibrators adopt the trappings of actual science, but that alone does not validate their claims. For that, they'd need to present evidence of what they claim. And because they can't we call them what they are; pseudo-science peddling hucksters.

E1D, I'm not sure if you just don't get it or if you're deliberately weaseling around the points

Proposing an undiscovered mechanism (intrinsic property of matter) with an unknown means of interaction (quantum something) as more plausible than a known system (neurons) with a known mechanism (chemistry) requires more than hand waving to back up the claims.
Are you a chemist? Are you aware of the difficulties that would be involved in getting a biochemical system to be able to interact with a quantum system? Are you aware how utterly indifferent your biochemistry is going to be towards variations on a quantum level?
Research into quantum computing has a huge hurdle to overcome in the form of decoherence, that restricts them to working on very small timescales and at very low temperatures, meaning with known neuro-chemistry, it is very unlikely there would be any meaningful interaction between neurons and an associated quantum system.

And lets not forget that you're just replacing one unknown with another because of your own incredulity; there's no reason to think that 'quantum something' just gives rise to consciousness anymore than a critical mass of neurochemistry does. The difference is neurochemistry has already been tied a very wide swath of brain function.

The problem with your later suggestions;
A) ignores the fact that his 'sensory inputs' are unaffected, nor are they being discussed, it is only his conscious perception on the right hand side that is gone. Don't weasel around the point by redefining the terms.
B) Aren't philosophical zombies supposed to only lack qualia and be otherwise indistinguishable from 'regular' person?

The fact that they can identify and test these individuals in such striking ways and show with brain scans the areas of their brains that are no longer functioning pretty much sinks that idea.

Not only that, but I can alter and disturb my perception, awareness and consciousness through the application of chemical compounds! That alone should tell you plenty. how would these chemical molecules modify the quantum states of my mind to create such an effect unless chemistry wasn't already the primary basis for perception and consciousness?
SpaceMarine93
Jedi Knight

Post by SpaceMarine93 »

Should I start asking each members to give out their academic qualifications before presenting their points, or should I allow the ongoing flame war to continue unabated? :|
Life sucks and is probably meaningless, but that doesn't mean there's no reason to be good.

--- The Anti-Nihilist view in short.
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

SpaceMarine93 wrote:Should I start asking each members to give out their academic qualifications before presenting their points, or should I allow the ongoing flame war to continue unabated? :|
What's the point? You don't need a degree to see the dishonesty in Eaglescoundrel's arguments. Just a teensy bit of logic and the patience to read through a Wall of Ignorance without getting wowed by the Big Words.

If you have trouble keeping up...
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
Spectre_nz
Youngling

Post by Spectre_nz »

I'm not even sure anyone could easily prove their qualification, or would want to provide enough proof to verify they are who they say they are.

Besides, having degrees and being highly qualified is not a flawless ward that prevents you from making pants-on-head retarded statements. Or from just spouting sciency-sounding gibberish.
SpaceMarine93
Jedi Knight

Post by SpaceMarine93 »

Alright, carry on
Life sucks and is probably meaningless, but that doesn't mean there's no reason to be good.

SpaceMarine93
Jedi Knight

Post by SpaceMarine93 »

What? No new entries?

Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Really?

Well, there won't be any *now*, necro-boy.
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.