African Shaman Levitation: Can you spot the clues?

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Manthor
Youngling

African Shaman Levitation: Can you spot the clues?

Post by Manthor »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW6pVFOp ... r_embedded

Found a video. Just take a look at it.Can such an act be replicated with the proper equipment? Given how stable his upper body was and how his pelvis moved, it looks like he's hooked up to some kind of crane or pulley system. Can you guys spot any other clues?Enjoy. 8)
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Re: African Shaman Levitation: Can you spot the clues?

Post by General Zod »

A crane? No need for that kind of machinery. I've seen people doing similar stunts in the park with two ropes tied to a tree. The movement of his feet looks almost identical and I wouldn't be surprised if he were balancing on some sort of wire.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

It's all dark - poor visibility. And you never see him from behind even with a cameraman there. Poor visibility and a controlled viewpoint is standard stage magician stuff.

At least it has more style than the woo types a few years back who were faking levitation in still photographs by bouncing into the air on trampolines and crossing their legs in midair.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

It does seem to be some sort of rope trick, I am sure. The darkness would hide a rope, but I am curious whether a more simple solution presents itself. The fire would ruin people's night vision for one thing. I am certain that the helpers are certainly involved somehow.

The video shows quite well how a supposedly "civilized" man can just as easily fall prey to old tricks.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Note that the second camera man 'confirms' it by giving us poorly shot close-ups which don't actually show anything.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

The camera crew was in on the hoax. The narrator was either an idiot or was also in on it. As Chewie noted, the 2nd camera man shows absolutely nothing of value. Instead of a useful wide angle shot with no zoom, we get useless shit that shows us nothing in very poor light.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."