How will we find aliens?

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Assuming that they're benevolent, how will we make First Contact?

Through chance encounter
43%
They will meet us before we have full capability to leave the solar system
7%
We will make contact with another primitive race when we develop an FTL drive
14%
We will locate and make contact with each other in the voids of space itself
7%
Active programs such as SETI will make contact with alien life
7%
Other
21%

Total votes: 14

RayCav of ASVS
Jedi Council Member
Location: Either ISD Nemesis, DSD Demeter or outside Coronet, Corellia, take your pick

How will we find aliens?

Post by RayCav of ASVS »

Let's assume that there are aliens out there, and that they're not hostile, but rather benevolent. How will we meet them?
::sig removed because it STILL offended Kelly. Hey, it's not my fault that I thing Wedge is a::

Kelly: SHUT UP ALREADY!
Johonebesus
Jedi Master

Post by Johonebesus »

It depends on what you mean by contact. I think SETI will find the first evidence of ET civilization, but any kind of communication will probably occur by chance, a very, very long time from now, if it ever happens at all.
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Enlightenment »

We won't. Any aliens that are out there will either be so advanced that they will have no need or wish to communicate with us, or so primative that we will have no need or wish to communicate with them.
It's not my place in life to make people happy. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to watch me slaughter cows you hold sacred. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to have your basic assumptions challenged. If you want bunnies in light, talk to someone else.
Mr. B
Jedi Knight

Post by Mr. B »

There have been billions of years for species to evolve. They will likely find us first.
"I got so high last night I figured out how clouds work." - the miracle of marijuana

Legalize It!

Proud Member of the local 404 Professional Cynics Union.

"Every Revolution carries within it the seeds of its own destruction."-Dune
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

Simple, go to the border of Arizona and Mexico. You'll find plenty there.

If not, ask Priesto or omegaLancer. They seem to be the experts here on UFOs. I think Priesto was in fact abducted at one point. Once the aliens carefully examined his intelligence (or lack thereof), they concluded that Earth was full of fundie morons, and decided not to make contact. Everybody tell Priesto thanks.
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
RayCav of ASVS
Jedi Council Member
Location: Either ISD Nemesis, DSD Demeter or outside Coronet, Corellia, take your pick

Post by RayCav of ASVS »

Enlightenment wrote:We won't. Any aliens that are out there will either be so advanced that they will have no need or wish to communicate with us, or so primative that we will have no need or wish to communicate with them.
I'll put you down for the "aliens will make contact with us" and "we will make contact with primitive aliens" options then
::sig removed because it STILL offended Kelly. Hey, it's not my fault that I thing Wedge is a::

RayCav of ASVS
Jedi Council Member

Post by RayCav of ASVS »

USAF Ace wrote:Simple, go to the border of Arizona and Mexico. You'll find plenty there.
[potentially racist remark]

Of course aliens can be found in abundance there! Not to mention California or any other area west of the Missisppi!

[/potentially racist remark]

Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

If we do find aliens, they must have travelled for decades, perhaps even centuries. We'll have to come to them.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

Post by TrailerParkJawa »

I think it would be a chance encounter.