Hitler and repentance

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Would Hitler deserve eternal joy and bliss if he repents his crimes?

Yes, repenting erases all sin, even Hitler's. The slate is wiped clean. Too bad about the victims.
17%
No. You can't hand out a pardon for such unspeakably evil acts just because he's sorry.
83%

Total votes: 42

Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

I think people are confusing the idea of repetance meaning that they should also be absolved of their temporal responsibilties of punishment. I do not think that Hitler is going to escape the gas chamber if he is sorry nor should he, but in Christian belief, like it or not, if he is truly sorry in the eyes of God and only in the eyes of God he is forgiven. To quote Drill Saregant Hartman of Full Metal Jacket: "You can give your heart to Jesus, but YOUR ASS BELONGS TO THE CORPS." IN other words, Hitler would be absolved of his sins by God, but there is still earthly punishment to face and both are mutually exclusive. You can get away with a crime here on earth *cough OJ cough* but burn in the after life.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Me, I believe that if you do immoral things to a member, or group of a society, you need to go through a) your punishment. Assuming you survive that, you consider b) your readmission into society. The steps you need to take before a society will let you back in to it vary (pedophiles, even 'reformed' ones, are rarely readmitted fully into society by their neighbours). The prime consideration of people shouldn't be whether they've admitted their sins and accepted gods and been pardoned by his emissaries (I hate it when people find God while in prison. Some Christians even petition for such people to have lesser sentences) but whether people are able to accept the offender back in their society without fear. Forgiveness is between a victim and an offender, and doesn't really play much of a role in the fate of the offender per se.

Any silly afterlife pardon you get, by definition, is up to the BBG to give. The Christian god clearly makes up the rules as he goes along, so wondering whether Hitler would recieve admission into heaven is like betting on which nostril an ugly kid would pick first.
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.