It is snowing on Mars

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Ender
Emperor's Hand

It is snowing on Mars

Post by Ender »

link
PASADENA, Calif. -- NASA's Phoenix Mars Lander has detected snow falling from Martian clouds. Spacecraft soil experiments also have provided evidence of past interaction between minerals and liquid water, processes that occur on Earth.

A laser instrument designed to gather knowledge of how the atmosphere and surface interact on Mars has detected snow from clouds about 4 kilometers (2.5 miles) above the spacecraft's landing site. Data show the snow vaporizing before reaching the ground.

"Nothing like this view has ever been seen on Mars," said Jim Whiteway, of York University, Toronto, lead scientist for the Canadian-supplied Meteorological Station on Phoenix. "We'll be looking for signs that the snow may even reach the ground."

Phoenix experiments also yielded clues pointing to calcium carbonate, the main composition of chalk, and particles that could be clay. Most carbonates and clays on Earth form only in the presence of liquid water.

"We are still collecting data and have lots of analysis ahead, but we are making good progress on the big questions we set out for ourselves," said Phoenix Principal Investigator Peter Smith of the University of Arizona, Tucson.

Since landing on May 25, Phoenix already has confirmed that a hard subsurface layer at its far-northern site contains water-ice. Determining whether that ice ever thaws would help answer whether the environment there has been favorable for life, a key aim of the mission.

The evidence for calcium carbonate in soil samples from trenches dug by the Phoenix robotic arm comes from two laboratory instruments called the Thermal and Evolved Gas Analyzer, or TEGA, and the wet chemistry laboratory of the Microscopy, Electrochemistry and Conductivity Analyzer, or MECA.

"We have found carbonate," said William Boynton of the University of Arizona, lead scientist for the TEGA. "This points toward episodes of interaction with water in the past."

The TEGA evidence for calcium carbonate came from a high-temperature release of carbon dioxide from soil samples. The temperature of the release matches a temperature known to decompose calcium carbonate and release carbon dioxide gas, which was identified by the instrument's mass spectrometer.

The MECA evidence came from a buffering effect characteristic of calcium carbonate assessed in wet chemistry analysis of the soil. The measured concentration of calcium was exactly what would be expected for a solution buffered by calcium carbonate.

Both TEGA, and the microscopy part of MECA, have turned up hints of a clay-like substance. "We are seeing smooth-surfaced, platy particles with the atomic-force microscope, not inconsistent with the appearance of clay particles," said Michael Hecht, MECA lead scientist at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif.

The Phoenix mission, originally planned for three months on Mars, now is in its fifth month. However, it faces a decline in solar energy that is expected to curtail and then end the lander's activities before the end of the year. Before power ceases, the Phoenix team will attempt to activate a microphone on the lander to possibly capture sounds on Mars.

"For nearly three months after landing, the sun never went below the horizon at our landing site," said Barry Goldstein, JPL Phoenix project manager. "Now it is gone for more than four hours each night, and the output from our solar panels is dropping each week. Before the end of October, there won't be enough energy to keep using the robotic arm."

The Phoenix mission is led by Smith at the University of Arizona. Project management is the responsibility of JPL with development partnership by Lockheed Martin in Denver. International contributions come from the Canadian Space Agency; the University of Neuchatel, Switzerland; the universities of Copenhagen and Aarhus, Denmark; Max Planck Institute, Germany; and the Finnish Meteorological Institute.
That's supremely awesome.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Academia Nut
Sith Devotee

Re: It is snowing on Mars

Post by Academia Nut »

I believe this deserves a "FUCK YEAH!" Snow on Mars, and the presence of carbonates. The possibility of finding extraterrestrial life on Mars in the past (or now!) grows better every year it seems.
I love learning. Teach me. I will listen.
You know, if Christian dogma included a ten-foot tall Jesus walking around in battle armor and smashing retarded cultists with a gaint mace, I might just convert - Noble Ire on Jesus smashing Scientologists
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

I wonder if all the martians are buying up all the bread and milk now?
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
A Social Democrat
Redshirt

Post by A Social Democrat »

That brings to mind one thing, SANTA CLAUS CONQUERS MARS, the worst movie ever (well nearly). But it is interesting that mars is snowing, because it means that their is water vapour in the atmosphere of mars which of course means that we don't have to do as much work when we terraform it.
"A man may die, nations may rise and fall, but an idea lives on"- JFK
"War does not determine who is right — only who is left."- Bertand Russel
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

Santa Claus Conquers the Martians.

With Pia Zadora, nach.
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Kanastrous wrote:Santa Claus Conquers the Martians.

With Pia Zadora, nach.
HAH! We watched this at Bad Movie Night once. :D
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Invictus ChiKen
Jedi Council Member

Post by Invictus ChiKen »

Hot damn! This is the awesome and I agree it deserves a FUCK YEAH!

So does this mean there's a chance we can introduce simple plant life sometime soon? I've always had the feeling terraforming would be down at first by unmanned probes to begin with.
"The real ideological schism in America is not Republican vs Democrat; it is North vs South, Urban vs Rural, and it has been since the 19th century."
-Mike Wong
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Holy shit, the Phoenix is still operating?

Christ, you guys know how to build a remote probe :D
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

PeZook wrote:Holy shit, the Phoenix is still operating?

Pfft, that's nothing. Spirit and Opportunity are still going strong four years in.

Invictus - note that the snow isn't reaching the ground. I doubt we'd be able to introduce anything "soon" unless someone already has some specially genetically engineered organisms ready to go.
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

Presumably we'd just be sending Algae over at this stage, what kind of modification would it take to get the hardiest of Earths algae ready for Mars?

Cold weather is a given, but what else...?
Member of the Unremarkables
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
Evil Brit Conspiracy - Insignificant guy
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

PeZook wrote:Holy shit, the Phoenix is still operating?

It landed in May, and isn't expected to last past the end of November. This is nothing. As has been pointed out, the Mars Exploration Rovers have been on Mars for over four years, and the Viking 1 lander lasted for six years.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Zac Naloen wrote:Presumably we'd just be sending Algae over at this stage, what kind of modification would it take to get the hardiest of Earths algae ready for Mars?

Low oxygen, low air pressure, very alkaline soil, lots of radiation, minimal water in the atmosphere... and high winds.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
A Social Democrat
Redshirt

Post by A Social Democrat »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:
Low oxygen, low air pressure, very alkaline soil, lots of radiation, minimal water in the atmosphere... and high winds.
What about more frequent meteor, asteroid, etc collisions, less air means less things get burnt up.
"A man may die, nations may rise and fall, but an idea lives on"- JFK
"War does not determine who is right — only who is left."- Bertand Russel
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

A Social Democrat wrote:
CaptainChewbacca wrote:
What about more frequent meteor, asteroid, etc collisions, less air means less things get burnt up.
I think the threat from falling rocks is a very minor concern compared to being frozen, irradiated, choked, starved etc. Anything that survives and thrives on a place as harsh as Mars would barely be affected by the rare incidents asteroid impacts.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

Zac Naloen wrote:Presumably we'd just be sending Algae over at this stage, what kind of modification would it take to get the hardiest of Earths algae ready for Mars?

As has been mentioned, the extremely thin atmosphere (1/167th the surface air pressure of Earth) which also means high radiation environment and huge temperature swings. (Sixty degrees Celsius (140 degrees Fahrenheit) from high to low over the course of the day at 'temperate' latitudes.) At the poles, it gets so cold during the winter that the very Martian air freezes out onto the polar ice caps. There's also the fact that many Martian soils seem to be extremely alkaline. On top of all that, the soil gets lofted up into the air at the slightest provocation. The clearest days on Mars rival the most smoggy, hazy days in the most densely populated, highly-polluted cities on Earth. Under the frequent dust storms, the amount of sunlight available for our putative organisms to photosynthesize would be extremely low.

Of course, there are species of microorganisms capable of surviving all that. You could, conceivably, engineer a sort of algae that would survive on Mars and possibly thrive.