Sperm whales don't like Megamouth sharks?

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Superman
Pink Foamin' at the Mouth

Sperm whales don't like Megamouth sharks?

Post by Superman »

The squid thread reminded me of this, so I thought I would post it. It's kind of old, so I'm putting it in here. Sperm whales are bad ass. It's like they're kind of mean though... the big bad mammals gang up and pick on the overgrown fish.
Manado, North Sulawesi, Indonesia, 30th August ’98, 10:00 am – we were studying the whale population with a group of WWF Italy volunteers off the coast of the island of Nain in the Bunaken archipelago (124° 50’ 3” N, 1° 46’ W) when we witnessed a remarkable event. While looking for cetaceans we encountered three examples of Sperm whales (Physeter macrocephalus) “attacking” a shark. As our boat approached, the 10-12 meters long, the Sperm whales swam off.

At this point we clearly saw the profile of a large shark (about 5 meters). The base of the dorsal fin and the gills showed signs of the whales’ attack and the shark was swimming slowly and still rather bewildered at the surface. It was probably a planktivorous shark with a large head in proportion to its body. It had white marks on the tips of its fins and mouth and a dark triangular mark under its throat. The upper lobe of the caudal fin was very large. We had found an extremely rare specimen of Megamouth shark (Megachasma pelagios)!

Megamouth sharks are plankton-feeder deep sea animals. It is very rare to meet and observe them near the surface where they usually come only at night, following small crustacean preys. Sperm whales are usually considered squid feeders but there are a few notes about small deep sea sharks’ presence in their diet.

Since the last sighting of Megachasma pelagios (the eleventh) in Cagayan de Oro (Philippines) on 21st February 1998, this is one of the few sightings in open sea as opposed to animals that were stranded or caught in fishing nets. It is also a significant event for studies of the relationship between whales and sharks – was it an attack, playfulness or just curiosity that attracted the Sperm whales to the Megamouth shark?
Article
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

I am sorry, but this does not seem like a testing thread.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Zor wrote:I am sorry, but this does not seem like a testing thread.

Zor
Then use your powers as a moderator to move it.

Oh wait, that's right... :twisted:

Supes: I wouldn't be surprised if they fed on sharks, really. Aren't they the largest predatory mammals with teeth? As opposed to blue whales, which use baleen? Are are blue whales even predators? I mean they prey on krill...
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

At the least, sperm whales are largest whale species possessing actual teeth.

And those mother fuckers don't take shit from nobody.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Superman

Post by Superman »

I wonder if anyone has ever documented a Sperm Whale go up against a Great White or Tiger shark. If I remember correctly, Orcas routinely kill Great White sharks, so I imagine it wouldn't be much of a stretch for a Spermy.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Superman wrote:I wonder if anyone has ever documented a Sperm Whale go up against a Great White or Tiger shark. If I remember correctly, Orcas routinely kill Great White sharks, so I imagine it wouldn't be much of a stretch for a Spermy.
Wouldn't surprise me if they attacked white sharks on occasion, being that they are deep ocean animals. Especially if there is a whale cub (they're cubs, right?) involved.

Orcas are just fucking assholes. I have no doubt that they are intelligent animals, because just like dolphins, chimps, and humans, they routinely kill things for the sheer fun of it.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Adrian Laguna
Sith Marauder

Post by Adrian Laguna »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:At the least, sperm whales are largest whale species possessing actual teeth.

There have been a few incidents of sperm whales attacking whaling ships, and at least one incident of a sperm whale attacking and sinking a whaling ship.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Adrian Laguna wrote:
Spanky The Dolphin wrote:At the least, sperm whales are largest whale species possessing actual teeth.

There have been a few incidents of sperm whales attacking whaling ships, and at least one incident of a sperm whale attacking and sinking a whaling ship.
SS Essex. Fucked those bastards up good. That's what 'Moby Dick' was based on.

Though to be fair to the whales, it was in self defense. :lol:
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Topic moved, since Zor is right and this didn't belong in Testing.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Academia Nut
Sith Devotee

Post by Academia Nut »

Orcas will occasionally kill larger oceanic animals like whales or sharks, but not sperm whales. This lets you know exactly who the kings of the seas are. Fuckers are pretty much on the top of the pile of killing machines in the deep.
I love learning. Teach me. I will listen.
You know, if Christian dogma included a ten-foot tall Jesus walking around in battle armor and smashing retarded cultists with a gaint mace, I might just convert - Noble Ire on Jesus smashing Scientologists
Zablorg
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zablorg »

Flagg wrote:
Zor wrote:I am sorry, but this does not seem like a testing thread.

Zor
Then use your powers as a moderator to move it.

Oh wait, that's right... :twisted:
When the fuck did that happen? :?

Also, there's innuendo to this story, but I just don't have the steam to make something out of it.
Jupiter Oak Evolution!
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Zablorg wrote:When the fuck did that happen? :?
He's having a larf. Zor has never been a moderator.
I wonder if anyone has ever documented a Sperm Whale go up against a Great White or Tiger shark.
You like one sided slaughters, it seems. The Great White is a mean motherfucker, six metres long. That's a third of the length of a Sperm Whale bull today. We have evidence of a bull from the past with a jaw slightly over five metres long. Great Whites have got nothing.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Have Sperm Whales ever attacked people, not just the boats, but people swimming as Great Whites have been known to? Do Sperm whales have similar "bite to taste" behaviour, or do their mammalian senses work out what you are like dolphins and porpoises seem to?
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

I could maybe see a great white going after a sperm whales' calf (glares at earlier, more retarded self), but even then, I wouldn't want to be the shark if even a half grown whale was about. I'm pretty sure orcas have been known to attack the calves as prey. I know they do with gray whales.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Zuul wrote:Have Sperm Whales ever attacked people, not just the boats, but people swimming as Great Whites have been known to? Do Sperm whales have similar "bite to taste" behaviour, or do their mammalian senses work out what you are like dolphins and porpoises seem to?
I can't imagine they ever would attack humans as prey items. IIRC they pretty much stick to squid and fish.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Zuul wrote:Have Sperm Whales ever attacked people, not just the boats, but people swimming as Great Whites have been known to? Do Sperm whales have similar "bite to taste" behaviour, or do their mammalian senses work out what you are like dolphins and porpoises seem to?
Smart money would be on 'no'. They might find a human tasty (or then again, not...they do eat giant squid, so maybe they prefer more ammonia in their food), but given their size and preferred area, I doubt you'll find humans swimming anywhere near where a sperm whale might be, normally. Sharks are smaller, and can function closer-in to land; cachalots are pretty much deep-water animals.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey
Location: Born and raised in Brooklyn, unfornately presently in Jersey

Post by ArmorPierce »

Well megamouth sharks are relatives peaceful if I recall correctly. That sperm whale must have been an asshole.
Brotherhood of the Monkey @( !.! )@
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

ArmorPierce wrote:Well megamouth sharks are relatives peaceful if I recall correctly. That sperm whale must have been an asshole.
They eat plankton by filter-feeding. Aggression would be counterproductive. I mean, what, are you going to attack plankton? How would that even work? It's just a waste of energy. And the sperm whales very well could just have been assholes. With greater intelligence comes a greater ability to do things for fun, and fun for assholes is often cruel. Dolphins will attack sharks for the hell of it, after all.
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
Superman

Post by Superman »

ArmorPierce wrote:That sperm whale must have been an asshole.
It wasn't just one, it was a group of three.
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

Superman wrote:I wonder if anyone has ever documented a Sperm Whale go up against a Great White or Tiger shark. If I remember correctly, Orcas routinely kill Great White sharks, so I imagine it wouldn't be much of a stretch for a Spermy.
Ten-foot sharks have been found whole in the bellies of sperm whales before. You'd better believe it's no stretch for them.
Spermies are mostly carrion eaters, analogous to bears in their environment for their size and feeding habits. They're ill-equipped for bite-to-taste methods, having only teeth on their bottom jaw and sockets for the teeth in their upper jaw, and I'd wager that they'd sooner swallow humans whole than nip them.
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

ArmorPierce wrote:Well megamouth sharks are relatives peaceful if I recall correctly. That sperm whale must have been an asshole.
That or they knew it was easy prey and pretty much entirely defenseless? I doubt they'd have declined to eat it. I don't know where everyone's getting the idea that they were just bullying the shark.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

TithonusSyndrome wrote:
That or they knew it was easy prey and pretty much entirely defenseless? I doubt they'd have declined to eat it. I don't know where everyone's getting the idea that they were just bullying the shark.
The problem is that I don't think they can tear chunks up and actually eat the shark. IIRC, they swallow giant squid whole.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Superman

Post by Superman »

TithonusSyndrome wrote:I don't know where everyone's getting the idea that they were just bullying the shark.
It's not that far fetched of an idea. Lots of animals torture the hell out of smaller ones, apparently just to do it. My cat used to catch the same mouse repeatedly; she would never eat it, nor would she injure it to the point of death. She would just catch it, gnaw on it, toss it around, then eventually get bored and let it go free.... she really seemed to get a kick out of torturing it. When I tried to get it from her, she would run off with it. Eventually she ended up gnawing it's foot off entirely.
Shogoki
Jedi Knight

Post by Shogoki »

Mayabird wrote:
They eat plankton by filter-feeding. Aggression would be counterproductive. I mean, what, are you going to attack plankton? How would that even work? It's just a waste of energy. And the sperm whales very well could just have been assholes. With greater intelligence comes a greater ability to do things for fun, and fun for assholes is often cruel. Dolphins will attack sharks for the hell of it, after all.
I like the part where they swam away as soon as they saw the boat approaching, bullies.
The Original Nex
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Original Nex »

The killing of other creatures by cetaceans for seeming no reason other than sport is documented by science. Dolphins off the coast of Britain have been recorded tormenting smaller porpoises, ramming them out of the water with their noses at bone-crushing speeds until the porpoise is dead and then simply moving on, leaving the dead animal. Orcas are known to behave this way with seals and sea lions, playing with the pinniped's corpse even if it has no intention of feeding. It would be unsurprising to me if these Sperm Whales were behaving in a similar manner with this planktivorous shark.